BORG

We are the Borg.
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

BORG

Post by Pyrrho » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:10 pm

http://www.detop-project.eu/news/the-fi ... implanted/
A female Swedish patient with hand amputation has become the first recipient of an osseo-neuromuscular implant to control a dexterous hand prosthesis. In a pioneering surgery, titanium implants were placed in the two forearm bones (radius and ulnar), from which electrodes to nerves and muscle were extended to extract signals to control a robotic hand and to provide tactile sensations. This makes it the first clinically viable, dexterous and sentient prosthetic hand usable in real life. The breakthrough is part of the European project DeTOP.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Re: BORG

Post by Rob Lister » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:42 pm

I'm thinking handjob.

shemp
Title: stooge

Post by shemp » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:20 am

You're on the self-service plan, pal.
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom from choice
Is what you want

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:36 am

Current prosthetic hands have also limited sensory feedback. They do not provide tactile or kinesthetic sensation, so the user can only rely on vision while using the prosthesis. Users cannot tell how strongly an object is grasped, or even when contact has been made. By implanting electrodes in the nerves that used to be connected to the lost biological sensors of the hand, researchers can electrically stimulate these nerves in a similar manner as information conveyed by the biological hand. This results in the patient perceiving sensations originating in the new prosthetic hand, as it is equipped with sensors that drive the stimulation of the nerve to deliver such sensations.
That's cool. The only thing I'm wondering about this hand is, can she take it off and put it back on freely or is it semi-permanently attached? Can she take a bath with it or go swimming?
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare