Black Hole

We are the Borg.
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Black Hole

Post by Pyrrho » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:31 pm

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Pyrrho

Re: Black Hole

Post by Pyrrho » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:45 pm

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:24 pm

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:46 am

I noticed that lots of journalists don't seem to grasp that the picture (and not "photograph") comes out of an array of radio telescopes. How quaint! :roll:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand the Web is already full of black hole memes & cartoons, e. g.:

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:18 pm

It's not "our" black hole, it's in another galaxy.

I think we're spoiled by hi-def TVs and such.

It's both very impressive and underwhelming at the same time.

We've all seen "artist's impressions" that are much clearer, so a fuzzy doughnut probably won't impress people visually. It's a very impressive scientific achievement, but unfortunately our imagination has already surpassed it, visually speaking.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:22 pm

William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:53 pm

To be fair, they could have used more lighting.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!!

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:14 pm

M87 was simultaneously imaged in X-rays by the Chandra satellite:

Chandra and the Event Horizon Telescope

This dark portrait of the event horizon was obtained of the supermassive black hole in the center of the galaxy Messier 87 (M87 for short) by the Event Horizon Telescope (EHT), an international collaboration whose support includes the National Science Foundation. This achievement is certainly a breakthrough, and we at NASA’s Chandra X-ray Observatory congratulate and applaud the hundreds of scientists, engineers, and others who worked on the Event Horizon Telescope to obtain this extraordinary result.

As is well documented in today’s announcement, it took a remarkable effort and coordination from scientists and organizations around the world to even have a chance to make this happen. The result being heralded stems from an observing campaign during April 2017, when this global network of radio dishes observed M87 together.

But Chandra was not just a bystander! Rather, thanks to heroic efforts by schedulers at Chandra, EHT, and NASA’s Nuclear Spectroscopic Telescope Array (NuSTAR) mission, as well as by the EHT’s Multiwavelength Working Group, Chandra was used to observe M87 and other targets during the EHT campaign. While Chandra can’t see the shadow itself, its field of view is much larger than the EHT’s, so Chandra can view the full length of the jet of high-energy particles launched by the intense gravitational and magnetic fields around the black hole. This jet extends more than 1,000 light years from the center of the galaxy.
http://chandra.harvard.edu/blog/node/719 for more.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:33 am

All this to take a picture of . . .

. . .

. . . Your Mom!

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:54 am

shemp
Title: stooge

Post by shemp » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:05 pm

That's one box I'm not sticking my hand into!
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom from choice
Is what you want

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:46 am

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:25 am

Apparently some people on the internet are upset that a woman is getting attention from the press:

Online trolls hijack scientist’s image to attack Katie Bouman; they pick the wrong astrophysicist
As the world stared in wonder this week at the first image of a black hole, a new star was born here on Earth: Katherine Bouman, 29, a postdoctoral researcher who developed an algorithm that was key to capturing the stunning visual.

In ugly corners of the Internet, however, this sudden fame for a young woman in a male-dominated field couldn’t stand. A corrective was quickly found in Andrew Chael, another member of the Event Horizon Telescope team, who is white and male.

On Reddit and Twitter, memes quickly went viral contrasting Bouman with Chael, who - per the viral images - was actually responsible for “850,000 of the 900,000 lines of code that were written in the historic black-hole image algorithm!” The implication was clear: Bouman, pushed by an agenda-driven news media, was getting all the attention, but Chael had done all the real work.
This is simply wrong, as Chael himself pointed out.
(Also I did not write "850,000 lines of code" -- many of those "lines" tracked by github are in model files. There are about 68,000 lines in the current software, and I don't care how many of those I personally authored)
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:04 am

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap190411.html

Explanation of the image:
Explanation: What does a black hole look like? To find out, radio telescopes from around the Earth coordinated observations of black holes with the largest known event horizons on the sky. Alone, black holes are just black, but these monster attractors are known to be surrounded by glowing gas. The first image was released yesterday and resolved the area around the black hole at the center of galaxy M87 on a scale below that expected for its event horizon. Pictured, the dark central region is not the event horizon, but rather Doctor X's Mom the black hole's shadow -- the central region of emitting gas darkened by the central black hole's gravity. The size and shape of the shadow is determined by bright gas near the event horizon, by strong gravitational lensing deflections, and by the black hole's spin. In resolving this black hole's shadow, the Event Horizon Telescope (EHT) bolstered evidence that Einstein's gravity works even in extreme regions, and gave clear evidence that M87 has a central spinning black hole of about 6 billion solar masses. The EHT is not done -- future observations will be geared toward even higher resolution, better tracking of variability, and exploring the immediate vicinity of the black hole in the center of our Milky Way Galaxy.
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:22 pm

Some Black Hole Chan memes
NSFW:
William Shakespeare

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:36 pm

Suppose someone is triggered by wither the danger posed by a black hole or the science behind imaging it or by the maths involved in understanding it?

Should we surpress all mention of it?

Is any element of this story racist? Does that mean that the black hole should apologise?
The woke person would not take this story at face value.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:06 am

For SCIENCE[!--Ed.] Anax.

--J.D.

P.S. The evolution of Black-Hole Chan:

HONK! . . . chan.