Anyone watching the Chernobyl mini series on HBO?

We are the Borg.
robinson
Title: Hmmm ...

Anyone watching the Chernobyl mini series on HBO?

Post by robinson » Wed May 22, 2019 10:34 pm

(disclaimer: wife wanted HBO, we got HBO)

It's fucking really good, and the scenes about the 48 hours till doomsday is flat out one of the best ever on TV. I had actually forgot (or never really knew) about just how bad it could have been. It's a lot like Fukushima, and with the same scenario (Fukushima 50), however the fate of the Chernobyl three isn't actually clear. They either died horribly, or are still alive and well today.

Fucking Soviets.

They are also revealing just how fucking horrible radiation death actually is. Like so much of history, you wait long enough they can make a series about what really happened.

In case it's not crystal, if you have HBO it is a must see series.
You never know what's going to happen, then some shit happens nobody saw coming, then later somebody says they knew it was coming, then some new shit happens nobody saw coming, rinse and repeat

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Re: Anyone watching the Chernobyl mini series on HBO?

Post by sparks » Thu May 23, 2019 1:37 am

No HBO here, but I'd love to see it.

Owing to the size of the initial explosion, I'd rather guess that the boys at the plant are dead and very nearly from the moment of same explosion.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Post by ed » Thu May 23, 2019 10:38 am

robinson wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 10:34 pm

if you have HBO
Welllllll .....

Arrrrrhhhhhhh
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!
I am caring less day by day :x

robinson

Post by robinson » Thu May 23, 2019 8:56 pm

sparks wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 1:37 am
No HBO here, but I'd love to see it.

Owing to the size of the initial explosion, I'd rather guess that the boys at the plant are dead and very nearly from the moment of same explosion.
The three are the ones who went in under the reactor to drain the water. After the explosion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernobyl ... osion_risk
You never know what's going to happen, then some shit happens nobody saw coming, then later somebody says they knew it was coming, then some new shit happens nobody saw coming, rinse and repeat

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Thu May 23, 2019 10:49 pm

Oh. Sorry. My mistake. Thought you were talking about the crew who fucked up originally, causing the melt and resulting explosion.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Fri May 24, 2019 6:19 am

It is a good series.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

robinson

Post by robinson » Thu May 30, 2019 5:38 pm

sparks wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 10:49 pm
Oh. Sorry. My mistake. Thought you were talking about the crew who fucked up originally, causing the melt and resulting explosion.
That myth may never die. It was a design flaw that caused the disaster. Not the crew.

robinson

Post by robinson » Thu May 30, 2019 5:39 pm

The series actually put the worst case scenario on TV (yeah, on HBO), something that has been ignored for 30 years.

sparks

Post by sparks » Thu May 30, 2019 10:59 pm

It's my understanding through various books on the subject that the crew were doing some tests and as a result turned off or otherwise negated safety features that would otherwise have scrammed the plant prior to the explosion and melting.

They had essentially stalled the core out and in trying to keep it going had removed the control rods. When they then tried to scram manually, the (serious design flaw) graphite tipped control rods drop back in. The additional graphite in the core caused it to go ballistic.

Operator error and design flaw(s).

And as depicted in the series, the redacted truth of the positive criticality flaw in the design.

Fucking Rooskies.

robinson

Post by robinson » Fri May 31, 2019 6:02 pm

Unlike TMI, which was people fucking up (on so many levels), the poor bastards running Chernobyl were blamed, when it was a design flaw.

Fuckign commie shitheads

sparks

Post by sparks » Fri May 31, 2019 7:23 pm

Do not agree that it was only a design flaw, sorry but that's not what I've seen and read. That bloody testing they were doing was pure human fuckery plain and simple. "But, but I was ordered to do it..." Famous last words. They should have known better than to fuck with the dragon like that.

And also do not agree on TMI: They did the best they could without really knowing what the fuck was going on. Parts failure compounded by humans making stupid assumptions without sufficient facts.

Now then, Chernobyl was a piss poor design right out of the box. Not so with TMI, and they still melted 1/3rd of the core.

Solid fuel reactors are just plain bullshit and especially BWRs and PWRs, I mean, fuck! Using a coolant that can change states with a drop in pressure/rise in temperature extremes is fucking madness.

robinson

Post by robinson » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:43 pm

Pretty much.

sparks

Post by sparks » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:31 pm

Better way to do it: LFTR.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:17 am

For what it is worth IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN A 5 MINUTE MAJOR [Thorazine--Ed.]PENALTY IN GAIT'S A GOD-AWFUL small affair to the girl with the with the mousy hair

--J. "But the Film is a Saddening Bore" D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

The Editor

Post by The Editor » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:31 am

The Home Box Office podcast on the final episode discusses dramatic licenses taken which include the trial. Legasov was not at the trial. The creators felt that the introduction of new characters providing the information would lack the power. However, Dyatlov's rants were taken from transcripts. They maintain that Dyatlov was depicted as all remember him.

They also felt it was important to explain what actually happened from a both the technical and human aspects. Correctly, they decided that the audience would want to know why a reactor that cannot explode exploded.

On that note, Our Charge would have included a link to some physicist with a rather puerile nom de merde involving the auditory effects of electrons streaming suddenly from the ground to the clouds and feet where he rather rants and raves for more than thirty minutes on how Chernobyl did not contain weapons grade uranium and would not, therefore, explode while utterly failing to discuss such issues as fallout and radiation, but we found him curled up in a fetal position under his drum set chanting "Pukka! Pukka! Pukka! Bonham Triplet! Cross-Overs! It was Her Turn!" until we placed him before a replay of a recent conflict between the indigenous people of a city on the border between the states of Kansas and Missouri and a group who, apparently, despise British tea yet "have lots of bling!"
We are Legion.

sparks

Post by sparks » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:57 pm

Well done sir!

Indeed, there are many ways to 'explode'.

robinson

Post by robinson » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:35 pm

The female scientist in the series is a fiction. She represents a multitude of Russian scientists and nuclear engineers, embodied in her character. (like, hundreds of people)

Saved a lot on casting that way.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:54 pm

sparks

Post by sparks » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:29 pm

Just a little hiccup in the reactivity. 3.2 GWt nominal output and the excursion has been estimated to have been 350 GWt.

Oops!

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:03 am

Thunderf00t has put out a couple of videos on the science aspects that the dramatization gets wrong or exaggerates. The main one about the risk of a megaton scale explosion that would make most of Europe uninhabitable for 100 years. (Any explosion measured in megatons means about 100 times bigger than the Hiroshima bomb)

I would like to watch it but I haven't had a chance yet as it isn't available on my streams yet. So it's a bit of a spoiler for me.

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare