An (Even More) Inconvenient Truth

We are the Borg.
Anaxagoras

An (Even More) Inconvenient Truth

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon May 27, 2019 12:12 am

An (Even More) Inconvenient Truth (ProPublica)
Why Carbon Credits For Forest Preservation May Be Worse Than Nothing

RIO BRANCO, BRAZIL — The state of Acre, on the western edge of Brazil, is so remote, there’s a national joke that it doesn’t exist. But for geochemist Foster Brown, it’s the center of the universe, a place that could help save the world.

“This is an example of hope,” he said, as we stood behind his office at the Federal University of Acre, a tropical campus carved into the Amazon rainforest. Brown placed his hand on a spindly trunk, ordering me to follow his lead. “There is a flow of water going up that stem, and there is a flow of sap coming down, and when it comes down it has carbon compounds,” he said. “Do you feel that?”

I couldn’t feel a thing. But that invisible process holds the key to a massive flow of cash into Brazil and an equally pivotal opportunity for countries trying to head off climate change without throwing their economies into turmoil. If the carbon in these trees could be quantified, then Acre could sell credits to polluters emitting clouds of CO₂. Whatever they release theoretically would be offset, or canceled out, by the rainforest.

Five thousand miles away in California, politicians, scientists, oil tycoons and tree huggers are bursting with excitement over the idea. The state is the second-largest carbon polluter in America, and its oil and gas industry emits about 50 million metric tons of CO₂ a year. What if Chevron or Shell or Phillips 66 could offset some of their damage by paying Brazil not to cut down trees?

The appetite is global. For the airline industry and industrialized nations in the Paris climate accord, offsets could be a cheap alternative to actually reducing fossil fuel use.

But the desperate hunger for these carbon credit plans appears to have blinded many of their advocates to the mounting pile of evidence that they haven’t — and won’t — deliver the climate benefit they promise.

I looked at projects going back two decades and spanning the globe and pulled together findings from academic researchers in far-flung forest villages, studies published in obscure journals, foreign government reports and dense technical documents. I enlisted a satellite imagery analysis firm to see how much of the forest remained in a preservation project that started selling credits in 2013. Four years later, only half the project areas were forested.

In case after case, I found that carbon credits hadn’t offset the amount of pollution they were supposed to, or they had brought gains that were quickly reversed or that couldn’t be accurately measured to begin with. Ultimately, the polluters got a guilt-free pass to keep emitting CO₂, but the forest preservation that was supposed to balance the ledger either never came or didn’t last.
I've long been skeptical about carbon offsets, but now there's some hard evidence against its effectiveness.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Re: An (Even More) Inconvenient Truth

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon May 27, 2019 12:18 am

It's like this:

1) Climate change some detectable portion of which is anthropogenic -- Proven scientific fact.
--- This is also the Democrat (otherwise the "billionaire left" and "international community") party line.
--- The opposite is the Republican party line because they are ignoramuses.

2) Anything proposed by the "billionaire left" to "fix" it -- Either a way to enrich themselves or a totalitarian power grab.
--- The Republicans are right on this one.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

gnome

Post by gnome » Mon May 27, 2019 12:23 am

That would be a really interesting an explorable breakdown, if words had any meaning. Since they apparently don't, it appears your words are incomprehensible. Sorry about that, there's literally no way for us to communicate ideas successfully.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon May 27, 2019 12:27 am

Yadda! :BigGrin3:

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon May 27, 2019 12:27 am

gnome wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 12:23 am
Sorry about that, there's literally no way for us to communicate ideas successfully.
So "they" have won.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon May 27, 2019 12:28 am

:lmao: