A Poll on Space Interest

We are the Borg.
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

A Poll on Space Interest

Post by Rob Lister » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:01 pm

The May 2019 AP-NORC Poll asks Americans about their interests in space exploration. It asks questions of minor interest, IMO. Some participants of the poll should be disqualified for being too stupid/suicidal. Question 9 asks:

www.apnorc.org/PDFs/AP-NORC%20Omnibus%2 ... _Space.pdf
Imagine you had the chance to move to the first colony on Mars. Would you travel to Mars and live there, even if it meant you would never return to Earth, or not?
Yes 47
No 53

n=331
155.57 of them, specifically.

Anaxagoras

Re: A Poll on Space Interest

Post by Anaxagoras » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:12 pm

I'd say it's because they haven't given it enough thought, and have no idea what living on Mars would actually be like.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:16 pm

Moot point. We won't be sending anyone to Mars anytime soon. WTF, we can't even make it back to the Moon even if there were something of real value there. Outside of the historical garbage we left behind in round one. Lunar lander parts, some car keys, a wallet. The usual shit.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

shemp
Title: crazy as fuck

Post by shemp » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:49 pm

If :freedom: :freedom: :freedom: !!!'MURICA!!! :freedom: :freedom: :freedom: doesn't go to Mars, soon the planet will be crawling with fucking Chinamen!!! And Doc X knows the implications of that!
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom from choice
Is what you want

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:53 pm

sparks wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:16 pm
Moot point. We won't be sending anyone to Mars anytime soon. WTF, we can't even make it back to the Moon even if there were something of real value there. Outside of the historical garbage we left behind in round one. Lunar lander parts, some car keys, a wallet. The usual shit.
The moon? We shouldn't bother.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:56 pm

Only possible advantage would be as a launch point.

But for what? And would it be an advantage? Not as if there are any natural fuel supplies on the Moon. I'm too ignorant of these things to address them, what little I know says there is no reason to go back to the Moon.

asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:19 am

I can't see any point in sending people into space given what we now know about the planets and their moons; it'd be far too dangerous and far too expensive.
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:16 am

Rob Lister wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:53 pm
sparks wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:16 pm
The moon? We shouldn't bother.
I'm afraid there isn't much reason to go to either of them. Mars is slightly better but still not livable. And getting there is so much harder.
William Shakespeare

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:03 am

Mars: A long way to go to die.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:12 pm

In the original plan cut short by cancelling Apollo, the permanent moon base was to have been a test bed for learning how to live in space for a few decades before going further.
asthmatic camel wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:19 am
I can't see any point in sending people into space given what we now know about the planets and their moons; it'd be far too dangerous and far too expensive.
Either you think sending people into space is a good thing in and of itself, or you don't.

"Reasons" are just a way to promote using public money. :coolspecs:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:37 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:12 pm

Either you think sending people into space is a good thing in and of itself, or you don't.
I'm in the don't camp.

sparks

Post by sparks » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:46 pm

I have argued in the past that the reason for going to the Moon and/or Mars was so Humanity wouldn't have all it's DNA in one basket. And hedging our bet on extinction would be a worthwhile thing.

Sorry, can't buy it anymore. As primates, we can't wait to fuck each other over for a percentage. No. No, that's just not good enough. Quicker this little experiment ends, the sooner a new one can begin and who knows? Maybe it'll turn out a bit better next time.

If there is a next time, and they do make it to the Moon, I'd just love to know what they'll make of all the junk we left behind. How long does it take refined metals to rot to dust in the lunar environment?

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:46 pm

sparks wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:46 pm
I have argued in the past that the reason for going to the Moon and/or Mars was so Humanity wouldn't have all it's DNA in one basket. And hedging our bet on extinction would be a worthwhile thing.

Sorry, can't buy it anymore. As primates, we can't wait to fuck each other over for a percentage. No. No, that's just not good enough. Quicker this little experiment ends, the sooner a new one can begin and who knows? Maybe it'll turn out a bit better next time.

If there is a next time, and they do make it to the Moon, I'd just love to know what they'll make of all the junk we left behind. How long does it take refined metals to rot to dust in the lunar environment?
We ain't gettin' off this planet alive!

We obviously can't send our DNA directly but we can send bacteria. We can spew trillions of bacteria in millions of tiny containers in random directions all ejaculated from one of Musk's phallic-like falcons. It amounts to the same thing. One might get lucky hit a planet whereon it can grow up (evolve) to be just like us.

sparks

Post by sparks » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:28 pm

We won't bother with that because it doesn't have the same emotional appeal of simply packing our bags and going to Mars.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:37 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:12 pm
I'd say it's because they haven't given it enough thought, and have no idea what living on Mars would actually be like.
Like this:

Living the Dream of Mars, Anax!

--J.D.

P.S. If God intended us to go to Space, He would have put us in Space. . . .
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:09 am

Doctor X wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:37 am
Anaxagoras wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:12 pm
Like this:

Living the Dream of Mars, Anax!

--J.D.

P.S. If God intended us to go to Space, He would have put us in Space. . . .
I love science fiction like The Expanse, but if anyone thinks that's what life on Mars would really be like, I think they are sorely mistaken. Even under the most optimistic scenario, it would be a dull life. I hope I'm wrong. I hope we have a Star Trekkie future, but I won't live to see it. It'll be 7 months trapped in a tiny little capsule with nothing to do just to get there. Well, maybe they could give them some reading material to pass the time, but I think the novelty will wear off soon.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:26 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:09 am
I love science fiction like The Expanse, but if anyone thinks that's what life on Mars would really be like, I think they are sorely mistaken.
This is a bit of t3h sp01l4g3 for the book series which is not bad at all if you escape 奥さんと僕の子供 [だめ!--Ed.] and make it to a beach. "Bit" in that it does not really ruin the books:
Mars never works. They all live for this stupid "Dream of Mars" where it will eventually be teraformed into Earth. The books do not have Mars as aggressive and successful, so planning to someday invade Earth is not as big as it is in the television series, but that was the series way of capturing the idea of, "hey, if you are going to have a perfect planet 'one day' why the fuck do you have to invade Earth?" That is a question that keeps coming back in the books. It has been centuries and they really are nowhere near to the "Dream of Mars." Belters basically do what Mars does without the Mars gravity. So the "what is the point of Mars again?" is this underlining question the "Martians" do not like to answer.

There is a scene where Bobbi visits her brother and his family. His son--her nephew--has zero interest in the "Dream of Mars" since he knows, as you put it, he and his kids, and their kids will never, ever see it. Her brother is upset, but Bobbi sort of gets it.

The "Martians" were just a lot of "third world" people from Earth. Not as much in the television series, but in the books they all try to fake a Texas--"Martian Valley"--accent because, WAY BACK, the early settlers thought they were "cowboys" and "freedom" and all of that crap. They wanted to pretend they were one people. They are not.

NONE of them can keep it up. It is a constant inner dialogue when Holden, Naomi, and others notice when Alex cannot keep up his accent or tries really hard to effect it. Bobbie does not even try.

She and Alex know it is, as you recognize, all just a lie. One of the reasons Alex has no interest to return to Mars.

With the Gate formation, with all of these planets that could sustain life like Earth could 4 or 5 million years ago, why waste your time trying to Total Recall Mars? Mars is not even a useful "base" for anything. Too close to Earth, too far away from "The Belt" [Tm.--Ed.]

Also, Akane secretly wishes she slept with the scientist.

Shinji is still a fag.

Who wants to sleep with His Mom!
I hope I'm wrong. I hope we have a Star Trekkie future, but I won't live to see it.
Good enough:

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image