Heating Solutions

We are the Borg.
asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Re: Heating Solutions

Post by asthmatic camel » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:10 pm

Even I'm not dumb enough to use a fan heater in a bathroom. And Mrs. Camel is big enough to keep us both warm at the same time...
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:11 pm

asthmatic camel wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:10 pm
Even I'm not dumb enough to use a fan heater in a bathroom. And Mrs. Camel is big enough to keep us both warm at the same time...
I don't understand the first clause (a hair blow dryer is the quintessential space heater) but the second clause has me thinking we need to get to know each other better.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:16 pm

A watt is a watt, yes. The difference is the delivery system from heater to human. Heating up all that air in the room is bound to be more expensive than simply warming the human in the room.

Here's an idea whose time has come: Microwave space heaters. They motion detect that there is an ugly sack of mostly water in the room and turn on. They stay on until there is no more motion in the room.

"Mein Fuhrer! I can WALK!!!"
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Post by ed » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:18 pm

Allo, allo, allo. And what have we here? A WOODEN seat???????
XAZ1Nbp.jpg
So, plastic isn't good enough for your special bum is it?

Back in my day we had no wood, had nought a seat. Had to perch, we did. We'd say "have to drop one for the guvnor" when we went to the loo.

You have it easy my lad.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:25 pm

Dumbass.
People also ask
Can you use a fan heater in the bathroom?
Safety First: Only Use Approved Bathroom Heaters in the Bathroom. Not all portable space heaters can be placed and used directly as a bathroom heater. Like all electrical appliances, unless it is specifically designed to be used in a bathroom, space heaters should be kept away from direct contact with water.
Also, I've used kerosene heaters in the past. They're now almost as expensive to run as conventional electric heaters, stink, are a fire hazard, vastly increase the amount of humidity in your house, fuel isn't readily available, produce carbon monoxide and are generally a pain in the arse so, no thanks.

As for Mrs. Camel, be careful what you wish for. ;)
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:26 pm

sparks wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:16 pm
A watt is a watt, yes. The difference is the delivery system from heater to human. Heating up all that air in the room is bound to be more expensive than simply warming the human in the room.
Which side of the human? And the result is the same. The temperature in the room rises by whatever watts you put in.

Okay, so you're not staying in the room long and you only want to warm your tits and dick. You don't care what your back and ass are feeling. Fine. A space heater with a fan will still do a better job cheaper.
Last edited by Rob Lister on Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:29 pm

ed wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:18 pm
Allo, allo, allo. And what have we here? A WOODEN seat???????
XAZ1Nbp.jpg

So, plastic isn't good enough for your special bum is it?

Back in my day we had no wood, had nought a seat. Had to perch, we did. We'd say "have to drop one for the guvnor" when we went to the loo.

You have it easy my lad.
Faggot.

When this house was built it didn't even have a bathroom. A karzi at the bottom of the yard was what you got, and a tin bath in front of the fire once a year. If you were lucky.

ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Post by ed » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:37 pm

A fire? Well well, aren't we the toff. The laird would infect us with botulism and the fever was all we had to keep us warm.

Fag.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:39 pm

Rob Lister wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:35 pm
It all ends up the same though.
Very philosophical, but no time to wait for the end of the universe if your butt is cold right now. :P
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:49 pm

A little too American Old Boy, despite being calibrated in Sterling and Centigrade.

Cold baths build character. What, what. :)

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:04 pm

Let me take this opportunity to rant a bit.

1) Abdul, you're full of shit.

2) In the U.S. central Air (heating, cooling) is pretty much a mainstay. It shouldn't be. I own a pretty big home and I'm heating/cooling every inch of it every minute. I use maybe...maybe...1000 square feet of that. I'm heating/cooling bedrooms and bathrooms nobody is using. I've closed the vents to most of the rooms but I have kids that keep visiting (they never stop) and opening them. I need to get rid of the kids.

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:26 pm

Point 2 is part of what I was trying to address, Listy. Although it'll cost me roughly the same to use the panels I've installed to heat the rooms I'm actually using at the time as it would to heat the whole house with the gas central heating, I'll be using 3-4 times less energy. That's entirely down to the price difference between electricity and gas in the UK. The government has ambitious plans to cut Britain's greenhouse gas emissions to zero by 2050 but it's not doing much to encourage people to switch from gas to electricity.

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:40 pm

Is she big enough such that we don't have to actually see each other?

Bottom line: just do what I fucking tell you. Get some very small 500-watt space heaters complete with tiny fans. Total cost, one at $20 bucks for a small room, two at $40 for a large room. That's it. Turn them on when you're in the room, off when you're not. If you're determined to heat your house by electricity, that is the cheapest AND most efficient way.

And pass the soap.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:04 pm

Rob Lister wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:04 pm
1) Abdul, you're full of shit.
You mean about cold baths building character?

What would you know of building character? :P

ceptimus

Post by ceptimus » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:41 pm

Please report back if you still think those panels are so good once we've actually had some, you know, cold weather. I'm convinced they're mostly a scam. I would much rather run something like a 450 watt computer than a 450 watt wall panel. Both will heat the room exactly the same, but the computer can also do other useful work in the process.

I don't expect you to be convinced though. Cold weather will be the acid test.

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:46 pm

Rob Lister wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:40 pm
Is she big enough such that we don't have to actually see each other?

Bottom line: just do what I fucking tell you. Get some very small 500-watt space heaters complete with tiny fans. Total cost, one at $20 bucks for a small room, two at $40 for a large room. That's it. Turn them on when you're in the room, off when you're not. If you're determined to heat your house by electricity, that is the cheapest AND most efficient way.

And pass the soap.
I don't want fucking fan heaters. They're noisy, dry the air, blow dust, which I'm allergic to, all over the place, don't last long and can't be hung on the wall or used in bathrooms.

Here you go, dwahling...

Witness

Post by Witness » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:23 pm

ceptimus wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:41 pm
Cold weather will be the acid test.
But do we still have cold weather, even in Britland? :notsure:

ceptimus

Post by ceptimus » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:53 pm

Fan heaters don't "dry the air" - you need a dehumidifier to do that. Something that dries the air has to put the captured water somewhere.

ceptimus

Post by ceptimus » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:56 pm

Witness wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:23 pm
ceptimus wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:41 pm
Cold weather will be the acid test.
But do we still have cold weather, even in Britland? :notsure:
A.C. will let us know, I'm sure, about four months from now...

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:11 am

ceptimus wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:53 pm
Fan heaters don't "dry the air" - you need a dehumidifier to do that. Something that dries the air has to put the captured water somewhere.
No, but by raising the temp, the lower the relative humidity.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.