Invisibility Cloak

Post by Rob Lister » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:22 am

Very cool.

ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Re: Invisibility Cloak

Post by ed » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:31 am

http://www.hyperstealth.com/
company. Interesting. Can't really bend but I wonder if you could cut out disks and affix them to a garment.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:11 pm

Great extra-fancy camouflage, but how how does it look in infrared wavelengths? :)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:34 pm

Just great

YOu have to watch at youtube.

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:31 am

I have some serious doubts about all that (but would be happy to be proved wrong).

If you look at the thumbnail of Rob's first video, the device just smears things behind it horizontally. And the background is so chosen that the guy seems to disappear while said background remains. (I think I posted some kind of similar optical illusion with pencils.)

In the 9 min promotional video the same trick is applied: glaring white table (or brown, but in front of dark background), bright window with hard horizontal border, bottle on white table, &c., so the diffused light swamps the object.

No real-life/real conditions test is shown. Yet it should be easy to put the Magic Foil™ on, say, a car and take a picture from a distance. My guess is it would just look blurry, as it would with any old school ground glass in front of it.

Also the blather about wave interference or the gimmick with laser light are totally irrelevant.

As for UV and IR, I can believe the Magic Foil™ works the same. But only with near IR (~ 1 μm), certainly not with thermal IR (~ 10 μm), a band where hot objects are "light" sources. (So a simple test would be to put a desktop lamp behind the device and see what happens. Certainly it wouldn't "disappear".)
Some thermal footage:

And we all know what the Quantum in Quantum Stealth™ stands for. :mrgreen: