We are the Borg.
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

He just keeps winning!

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Image This guy 8)

Pulsar-white dwarf binary system confirms general relativistic frame-dragging
Space Daily
A century after it was first theorized, researchers have detected the effects of Lense-Thirring precession - an effect of relativistic frame-dragging - in the motion of a distant binary star system, a new study reports.

The results of the twenty-year study confirm a prediction of Einstein's general theory of relativity. When a massive object rotates, general relativity predicts that it pulls the surrounding spacetime around with it, a phenomenon known as frame-dragging.

Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.
Witness

Re: He just keeps winning!

Post by Witness »

Gravity Probe B

Gravity Probe B (GP-B) was a satellite-based mission to test two unverified predictions of general relativity: the geodetic effect and frame-dragging. This was to be accomplished by measuring, very precisely, tiny changes in the direction of spin of four gyroscopes contained in an Earth satellite orbiting at 650 km (400 mi) altitude, crossing directly over the poles.

The satellite was launched on 20 April 2004 on a Delta II rocket.[4] The spaceflight phase lasted until 2005;[5] its aim was to measure spacetime curvature near Earth, and thereby the stress–energy tensor (which is related to the distribution and the motion of matter in space) in and near Earth. This provided a test of general relativity, gravitomagnetism and related models. The principal investigator was Francis Everitt.

Initial results confirmed the expected geodetic effect to an accuracy of about 1%. The expected frame-dragging effect was similar in magnitude to the current noise level (the noise being dominated by initially unmodeled effects due to nonuniform coatings on the gyroscopes). Work continued to model and account for these sources of error, thus permitting extraction of the frame-dragging signal. By August 2008, the frame-dragging effect had been confirmed to within 15% of the expected result,[6] and the December 2008 NASA report indicated that the geodetic effect was confirmed to better than 0.5%.[7]

In an article published in the journal Physical Review Letters in 2011, the authors reported analysis of the data from all four gyroscopes results in a geodetic drift rate of −6601.8±18.3 mas/yr and a frame-dragging drift rate of −37.2±7.2 mas/yr, in good agreement with the general relativity predictions of −6606.1±0.28% mas/yr and −39.2±0.19% mas/yr, respectively.[8]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity_Probe_B
robinson
Title: Pretty much dead already

Post by robinson »

Octohats still impress
still working on Sophrosyne, but I will no doubt end up with Hubris
Witness

Post by Witness »

Scientists use the Tokyo Skytree to test Einstein's theory of general relativity

In another verification of the validity of Einstein's theory of general relativity, published in Nature Photonics, scientists from the RIKEN Center for Advanced Photonics and Cluster for Pioneering Research, with colleagues, have used two finely tuned optical lattice clocks, one at the base and one on the 450-meter observatory floor of Tokyo Skytree, to make new ultraprecise measurements of the time dilation effect predicted by Einstein's theory of general relativity.

Einstein theorized that the warping of time-space by gravity was caused by massive objects. In line with this, time runs more slowly in a deep gravitational field than in a shallower one. This means that times runs slightly more slowly at the base of the Skytree tower than at the top.

The difficulty with actually measuring the change in how quickly clocks run in different gravity field is that the difference is very small. Performing a stringent test of the theory of relativity requires either a very precise clock or a large difference in height. One of the best measurements so far has involved large and complex clocks such as those developed by the RIKEN group, which can measure a difference of around a centimeter in height. Outside the laboratory, the best tests have been taken by satellites, with altitudes that are thousands of kilometers different. Such space experiments have constrained any violation of general relativity to about 30 parts per million, a tremendously precise measurement that essentially shows Einstein to be correct.

The figure they attained for violations of general relativity was another validation of Einstein's theory, like others before. What is key about the experiment, according to Katori, is that they demonstrated this to a precision comparable to the best space-based measurements, but using transportable devices operating on the ground. In the future, the group plans to compare clocks hundreds of kilometers apart to monitor the long-term uplift and depression of the ground, one of the potential applications of ultraprecise clocks.
https://phys.org/news/2020-04-scientist ... heory.html
Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Astrophysicists confirm cornerstone of Einstein's Theory of Relativity
Space Daily

he universality of free fall principle states that two bodies dropped in a gravitational field undergo the very same acceleration independently of their composition. This was first demonstrated by Galileo who famously would have dropped objects of different masses from the top of Pisa's tower to verify that they both reach the ground simultaneously.

This principle is also at the heart of Einstein's theory of general relativity. However, some hints such as the inconsistency between quantum mechanics and general relativity, or the conundrum of the domination of dark matter and dark energy in the composition of the Universe, have led many physicists to believe that general relativity might not be, after all, the ultimate theory of gravity.

The observations of Pulsar J0337+1715, which is a neutron star with a stellar core 1.44 times the mass of the Sun that has collapsed into a sphere of only 25km in diameter, shows that it orbits two white-dwarf stars which have a much weaker gravity field. The findings, published in the journal Astronomy and Astrophysics, demonstrate the universality of free fall principle to be correct.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

I wonder if journalists get tired of repeating this same old line. I categorize this along with the notorious "human hair" metric.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Rob Lister wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:12 pm I wonder if journalists get tired of repeating this same old line. I categorize this along with the notorious "human hair" metric.
What is this in reference to?

Anyway, I recently subscribed to this German lady's YouTube channel.

Thought some of you might find it interesting. Her accent it a little weird, but mostly comprehensible.

When she says "matter" it sounds like "meta".

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

It does with her accent.

And she mispronounces "Einshtein" because good old Alberty ended his days as a naturalized citizen which == 100% American.

Not sure how he himself pronounced it, but I'm thinking of Kurt Weill (of Threepenny Opera fame) correcting people who pretentiously introduced him as "Koort Vile". "Curt Wile" he would say despite retaining a slight accent.
Last edited by Abdul Alhazred on Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:59 pm It does with her accent.

And she mispronounces "Einshtein" because good old Alberty ended his days as a naturalized citizen which == 100% American.

Not sire how he himself pronounced it, but I'm thinking of Kurt Weill (of Threepenny Opera fame) correcting people who pretentiously introduced him as "Koort Vile". "Curt Wile" he would say despite retaining a slight accent.
Yeah, I noticed that too, but I figure that's probably correct in German, his native language. Also, it's OK for a foreigner to have an accent.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Einstein on citizenship:
“If my theory of relativity is proven successful, Germany will claim me as a German and France will declare me a citizen of the world. Should my theory prove untrue, France will say that I am a German, and Germany will declare that I am a Jew.”

― Albert Einstein
EVIDENCES

But that was before he came to America.

Whose atomic bomb was built because of his signature on a letter to FDR? The "world"? Image

robinson
Title: Pretty much dead already

Post by robinson »

Albert wasn’t just smart about physics

He was also very wise about people
still working on Sophrosyne, but I will no doubt end up with Hubris