Re: Wuhan Flu Truth and Big Brother Narratives

Post by Pyrrho »

corplinx wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 7:41 pm
Pyrrho wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 3:11 pm
No need for that prayer study.

https://www.christianpost.com/news/geor ... virus.html
A Georgia church that reopened after shutting down due to the coronavirus has axed in-person services again in what they describe as “an effort of extreme caution” as several of their families have become infected by the deadly disease.

Catoosa Baptist Tabernacle, an independent Baptist church led by Pastor Justin Gazaway in Ringgold, Georgia, restarted in-person services on April 26. Church representative Joan Lewis told The Christian Post on Monday, however, that they decided to suspend “in-person worship services for the foreseeable future” on May 11 after learning several families had contracted the virus.

“Our hearts are heavy as some of our families are dealing with the effects of the COVID-19 virus, and we ask for your prayers for each of them as they follow the prescribed protocol and recuperate at home,” the church said in a formal statement.
:freedom:

Re-Opening is a process of loosening the controls and then re-tightening where needed. So it sounds like this Church made the right call.
Yup. Also there's no reason to think they contracted the virus at church.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

corplinx
Title: Moderator

Post by corplinx »

I only leave home for groceries, gas, drop off parcels at USPS, pick up parcels at my UPS box, hardware, etc.

But actually working is a bridge too far.....

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

I'm lucky to have a job, let alone working for a company that allows me to work remotely. They'll be implementing a phased approach to returning to the office. I'll wait as long as I can, if only because people at the office tended not to follow basic common courtesy such as covering their faces when they cough or sneeze, even before this thing came around.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

The Atheist

Post by The Atheist »

Pyrrho wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 8:42 pm
I'm lucky to have a job, let alone working for a company that allows me to work remotely. They'll be implementing a phased approach to returning to the office. I'll wait as long as I can, if only because people at the office tended not to follow basic common courtesy such as covering their faces when they cough or sneeze, even before this thing came around.
That's something that always fucked me right off.

Things have changed here to the extent that if someone turns up to work sick, other employees demand they be sent home now.

I hope it continues.
Jeff Wagg, Communication and Outreach Manager for the James Randi Educational Foundation posted:

"It is my job to inform other JREF employees about people who wish to do the JREF harm, and you [The Atheist] are one of those.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Pyrrho wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 8:42 pm
Ask to have coughing/sneezing etiquette posters put up around the office. Preferably Japanese originals.

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

robinson
Title: Nice guy

Post by robinson »

Yes goddamn it yes
♪ ♫ ♩ ♬ "

"Science and Mother Nature are in a marriage where Science is always surprised to come home and find Mother Nature blowing the neighbor."

♪ ♫ ♩ ♬

corplinx

Post by corplinx »

Someone suggested that it's really a bottom-up approach that works.

Unless you are a totalitarian regime, you wear masks, practice good hygiene, avoid work when ill, etc.

You know, those Japan, SK, HK, Taiwan norms that allow them to keep functioning during a global pandemic.

At the time we did shelter-in-place, there was so much unknown still. We still don't know some things. Before we treated this like a typical ARDS and now we now it's an atypical ARDS that can't use the same protocols where the ARDS is caused by clotting versus a secondary infection.

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Twitter thread of things that are way out of my league:

robinson

Post by robinson »

♪ ♫ ♩ ♬ "

"Science and Mother Nature are in a marriage where Science is always surprised to come home and find Mother Nature blowing the neighbor."

♪ ♫ ♩ ♬

The Atheist

Post by The Atheist »

robinson wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 9:05 pm
twitter
No Sweden Tweets lately, mate?

I can't imagine why.

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/world/sw ... r-BB14khkY
Jeff Wagg, Communication and Outreach Manager for the James Randi Educational Foundation posted:

"It is my job to inform other JREF employees about people who wish to do the JREF harm, and you [The Atheist] are one of those.

robinson

Post by robinson »

♪ ♫ ♩ ♬ "

♪ ♫ ♩ ♬

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Vietnam is a tropical country, while Sweden is far north. I think this makes a significant difference. It's summer all year long in Vietnam, so they don't really have a cold and flu season. The seasons are more rain and less rain, but always hot and humid.
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Pyrrho wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 7:12 pm
Twitter thread of things that are way out of my league:

Abstract:
Abstract
In a side-by-side comparison of evolutionary dynamics between the 2019/2020 SARS-CoV-2 and the 2003 SARS-CoV, we were surprised to find that SARS-CoV-2 resembles SARS-CoV in the late phase of the 2003 epidemic after SARS-CoV had developed several advantageous adaptations for human transmission. Our observations suggest that by the time SARS-CoV-2 was first detected in late 2019, it was already pre-adapted to human transmission to an extent similar to late epidemic SARS-CoV. However, no precursors or branches of evolution stemming from a less human-adapted SARS-CoV-2-like virus have been detected. The sudden appearance of a highly infectious SARS-CoV-2 presents a major cause for concern that should motivate stronger international efforts to identify the source and prevent near future re-emergence. Any existing pools of SARS-CoV-2 progenitors would be particularly dangerous if similarly well adapted for human transmission. To look for clues regarding intermediate hosts, we analyze recent key findings relating to how SARS-CoV-2 could have evolved and adapted for human transmission, and examine the environmental samples from the Wuhan Huanan seafood market. Importantly, the market samples are genetically identical to human SARS-CoV-2 isolates and were therefore most likely from human sources. We conclude by describing and advocating for measured and effective approaches implemented in the 2002-2004 SARS outbreaks to identify lingering population(s) of progenitor virus.

Competing Interest Statement
Shing Hei Zhan is a Co-founder and lead bioinformatics scientist at Fusion Genomics Corporation, which develops molecular diagnostic assays for infectious diseases.
ETA: The Conclusion section is also interesting:
Conclusion
The lack of definitive evidence to verify or rule out adaptation in an intermediate host species, humans, or a laboratory, means that we need to take precautions against each scenario to prevent re-emergence. We would like to advocate for measured and effective approaches to identify any lingering population(s) of SARS-CoV-2 progenitor virus, particularly if these are similarly adept at human transmission. The response to the first SARS-CoV outbreak deployed the following strategies that were key to detecting SARS-CoV adaptation to humans and cross-species transmission, and could be re-applied in today’s outbreak to swiftly eliminate progenitor pools: (i) Sampling animals from markets, farms, and wild populations for SARS-CoV-2-like viruses (38). (ii) Checking human samples banked months before late 2019 for SARS-CoV-2-like viruses or SARS-CoV-2-reactive antibodies to detect precursors circulating in humans (56). In addition, sequencing more SARS-CoV-2 isolates from Wuhan, particularly early isolates if they still exist, could identify branches originating from a less human-adapted progenitor as was seen in the 2003 SARS-CoV outbreak. It would be curious if no precursors or branches of SARS-CoV-2 evolution are discovered in humans or animals. (iii) Evaluating the over-or underrepresentation of food handlers and animal traders among the index cases to determine if SARS-CoV-2 precursors may have been circulating in the animal trading community (57). While these investigations are conducted, it would be safer to more extensively limit human activity that leads to frequent or prolonged contact with wild animals and their habitats.
William Shakespeare

corplinx

Post by corplinx »

The media is finding people with Lupus who got the virus to discredit Trump. Because Orange Man uses the same pills the rest of the world does.

Is the person also getting supplemental zinc? No. But they make it a goddamn headline.

Fuck the US media. They are the enemy of the people for real.

The Atheist

Post by The Atheist »

Anaxagoras wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:35 am
Vietnam is a tropical country, while Sweden is far north. I think this makes a significant difference. It's summer all year long in Vietnam, so they don't really have a cold and flu season. The seasons are more rain and less rain, but always hot and humid.
Matches Hawaii, which is a huge outlier as well.

Yet, it's pretty warm on the Arabian Peninsula, where it's going nuts.

Now add vitamin D and/or fish consumption in and it gets interesting.

robinson

Post by robinson »

If only we had a method to determine what is true
♪ ♫ ♩ ♬ "

♪ ♫ ♩ ♬

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Meanwhile, in Cleveland:

https://www.wkyc.com/article/news/local ... c73441bae8
Disposable face masks littered all over I-90 West near Warren Rd at the Cleveland/Lakewood border was the backdrop to the commute Tuesday and Wednesday.

“We really don’t know what happened,” says Brent Kovacs, public information officer for the Ohio Department of Transportation District 12.

Kovacs says ODOT crews went out Wednesday to begin picking up masks after receiving notification from 3News. It’s a cleaning job that will take the department two days to complete.

“We’re out there filling potholes, fixing guardrails, cleaning bridges, doing all our maintenance work, and on top of all that we have to go pick up your trash off the side of the road,” says Kovacs. “Would you rather us fill potholes or pick up trash?”

According to Kovacs, the department picks up approximately 40,000 bags of litter in District 12 a year, which equates to almost 26,000 hours of work for their team.

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

There is fantasy, and there is reality.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-sho ... er-science
Dr. Jon Giles didn't expect to have any problems drumming up interest in his clinical trial testing if hydroxychloroquine can help prevent COVID-19.

"We were getting calls all the time from people who were interested," says Giles, an epidemiologist and rheumatologist at Columbia University.

For his study, Giles planned to give a short course of the medication to people who were "household contacts" of COVID-19 patients. Like many of the ongoing trials, it would be randomized with a control group.

By the end of April, Giles was ready to start enrolling people. But his team ran into a problem when they started calling potential participants.

"Pretty much everybody said, 'Well that's the drug that's dangerous to your heart,' or, 'I talked to my friends and they said don't take it,' or that 'I saw on TV it's dangerous,' " says Giles.

Just a month earlier, he says demand for the drug was soaring. Some patients with autoimmune conditions couldn't even get their prescriptions filled, after Trump spoke enthusiastically about the drug.

In April, the FDA issued a warning about using the drug for COVID-19 patients without strict medical supervision in a hospital or as part of a clinical trial. The agency had received reports of serious heart-related adverse events and death in patients with COVID-19 receiving hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine.

But the back-and-forth headlines and the ongoing political wrangling seemed to make people wary of the medication, Giles says, even in the context of a carefully run clinical trial.

"It became almost impossible to get anyone interested," says Giles.
What's likely to happen next is that the increased demand for this drug will result in pricing that rivals the current pricing for insulin. Then it will be "Sucks to be you, it's your fault you can't afford it, it's your fault you don't have health insurance to pay for it, maybe if you didn't fail and get a chronic illness you wouldn't be in this situation," etc. Those who genuinely need it and can't get it might be lucky enough to get coupons from the pharmaceutical companies that make it and that will be gouging the daylights out of the market for it. Because they're humanitarians who care.

Meanwhile, mostly-healthy people will be taking it in droves "To prevent that Chinese Flu," while the evidence for its efficacy in that regard is not yet established. Might be a good idea to suck the pills down with a couple of good healthy slugs of castor oil, to keep things regular.
Last edited by Pyrrho on Thu May 21, 2020 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robinson

Post by robinson »

One could simply start drinking tonic water

And upping the zinc daily dose
♪ ♫ ♩ ♬ "

♪ ♫ ♩ ♬

robinson

Post by robinson »

Unless you have heart problems or diabetes
♪ ♫ ♩ ♬ "

♪ ♫ ♩ ♬