We are the Borg.
The Atheist

Re: Wuhan Flu Truth and Big Brother Narratives

Post by The Atheist »

Anaxagoras wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:19 pm
And that's the entire story.

I wonder what they could be doing? :notsure:
I bet Xi and his pals had a good laugh about that - it's idiotic. China is sabotaging labs and research projects around the world? Harnessing the psychic power of a billion people, maybe?

It's shit like that that makes me desperately hope China does come up with a vaccine first. Nothing would please me more than seeing that sick orange cunt forced to suck Xi's dick to get vaccines for USA.
Jeff Wagg, Communication and Outreach Manager for the James Randi Educational Foundation posted:

"It is my job to inform other JREF employees about people who wish to do the JREF harm, and you [The Atheist] are one of those.

robinson
Title: Nice guy

Post by robinson »

And he thinks he is the voice of reason
♪ ♫ ♩ ♬ "

"Science and Mother Nature are in a marriage where Science is always surprised to come home and find Mother Nature blowing the neighbor."

♪ ♫ ♩ ♬

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Asymptomatic spread of coronavirus is 'very rare,' WHO says
Coronavirus patients without symptoms aren't driving the spread of the virus, World Health Organization officials said Monday, casting doubt on concerns by some researchers that the disease could be difficult to contain due to asymptomatic infections.

Some people, particularly young and otherwise healthy individuals, who are infected by the coronavirus never develop symptoms or only develop mild symptoms. Others might not develop symptoms until days after they were actually infected.

Preliminary evidence from the earliest outbreaks indicated that the virus could spread from person-to-person contact, even if the carrier didn't have symptoms. But WHO officials now say that while asymptomatic spread can occur, it is not the main way it's being transmitted.

"From the data we have, it still seems to be rare that an asymptomatic person actually transmits onward to a secondary individual," Dr. Maria Van Kerkhove, head of WHO's emerging diseases and zoonosis unit, said at a news briefing from the United Nations agency's Geneva headquarters. "It's very rare."
This would seem to an additional reason for reopening the economy? (With precautions to keep people with symptoms isolated, of course.)

Anyway, I think we've passed the point where the benefits of shutting down the economy outweigh the damage it is causing.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

I'm a little suspicious of this one:

Coronavirus: Lockdowns in Europe saved millions of lives
Lockdowns have saved more than three million lives from coronavirus in Europe, a study estimates.

The team at Imperial College London said the "death toll would have been huge" without lockdown.

But they warned that only a small proportion of people had been infected and we were still only "at the beginning of the pandemic".
The researchers used disease modelling to predict how many deaths there would have been if lockdown had not happened. And the work comes from the same group that guided the UK's decision to go into lockdown.
They estimated 3.2 million people would have died by 4 May if not for measures such as closing businesses and telling people to stay at home.

That meant lockdown saved around 3.1 million lives, including 470,000 in the UK, 690,000 in France and 630,000 in Italy, the report in the journal Nature shows.

"Lockdown averted millions of deaths, those deaths would have been a tragedy," said Dr Seth Flaxman, from Imperial.
:notsure:

In essence, they seem to be crediting their models with having saved millions of lives in Europe alone, based on what their models say would have been the outcome absent lockdowns. :notsure:
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

Yeah.

Ironically, this is a subject ripe for a skeptic board.

– J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

The Atheist

Post by The Atheist »

Anaxagoras wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:57 am
In essence, they seem to be crediting their models with having saved millions of lives in Europe alone, based on what their models say would have been the outcome absent lockdowns. :notsure:
I meant to say in the other thread on the subject of bad modelling.

NZ operated on models showing 80,000 deaths this year from Covid. That would require an infection rate of 70% of the population, with a mortality rate of 2.25%, which is plain bullshit. As far as I'm aware, the Ministry of Health is still using that model.
Jeff Wagg, Communication and Outreach Manager for the James Randi Educational Foundation posted:

"It is my job to inform other JREF employees about people who wish to do the JREF harm, and you [The Atheist] are one of those.

gnome

Post by gnome »

Anaxagoras wrote:
I'm a little suspicious of this one:

Coronavirus: Lockdowns in Europe saved millions of lives
Lockdowns have saved more than three million lives from coronavirus in Europe, a study estimates.

The team at Imperial College London said the "death toll would have been huge" without lockdown.

But they warned that only a small proportion of people had been infected and we were still only "at the beginning of the pandemic".
The researchers used disease modelling to predict how many deaths there would have been if lockdown had not happened. And the work comes from the same group that guided the UK's decision to go into lockdown.
They estimated 3.2 million people would have died by 4 May if not for measures such as closing businesses and telling people to stay at home.

That meant lockdown saved around 3.1 million lives, including 470,000 in the UK, 690,000 in France and 630,000 in Italy, the report in the journal Nature shows.

"Lockdown averted millions of deaths, those deaths would have been a tragedy," said Dr Seth Flaxman, from Imperial.
:notsure:

Far too many things are unknown to put numbers to it. Even initial conditions are quite a bit ambiguous.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

https://www.abc15.com/news/state/adhs-d ... gency-plan
The Arizona Department of Health Services director sent out a letter this weekend, informing hospitals in our state to "fully activate" their facility emergency plans.

In doing so, the hospitals are going to be preparing surge beds, cross-training staff, and possibly reducing or suspending elective surgeries to "ensure adequate bed capacity for both COVID and non-COVID admissions."

The Saturday letter states the hospitals need to identify additional ICU and inpatient beds to meet the 50 percent additional bed increase.

The state's hospitals now must determine whether or not to move their facilities from conventional care to contingency care, and also prepare for crisis care.

The letter was dated the same day that ADHS director Dr. Cara Christ told ABC15 that her department's staff had made errors and reported incorrect hospitalization numbers since April on the Arizona Department of Health Services coronavirus dashboard.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

Awesome.

Get that barn door while you are at it.

– J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

robinson

Post by robinson »

Pyrrho wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:47 pm
The Arizona Department of Health Services director sent out a letter this weekend, informing hospitals in our state to "fully activate" their facility emergency plans.
Why the fuck, and how the fuck, does some single entity control all of a sates hospitals? This is fucking central planning. This is communism
♪ ♫ ♩ ♬ "

"Science and Mother Nature are in a marriage where Science is always surprised to come home and find Mother Nature blowing the neighbor."

♪ ♫ ♩ ♬

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

You want legislators to take a fucking vote?
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Surprise
Title: Influencer

Post by Surprise »

The Atheist wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:24 am
Anaxagoras wrote:
I meant to say in the other thread on the subject of bad modelling.

NZ operated on models showing 80,000 deaths this year from Covid. That would require an infection rate of 70% of the population, with a mortality rate of 2.25%, which is plain bullshit. As far as I'm aware, the Ministry of Health is still using that model.
Those figures are meaningless, without more information on what they actually came up with in full. Worst case scenario, overloaded hospital system, error spread? That model will be a lot more complex in how it works than just spitting out three numbers.
"Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind."

robinson

Post by robinson »

♪ ♫ ♩ ♬ "

♪ ♫ ♩ ♬

The Atheist

Post by The Atheist »

I bet a mate yesterday that you'd be posting that story.

Thanks! You just won me $10.

robinson

Post by robinson »

You promised me 20%
♪ ♫ ♩ ♬ "

♪ ♫ ♩ ♬

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Press release. About to enter Phase 3 vaccine trials for COVID-19.
https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/ ... 3-COVID-19

Article "pre-print" about vaccine development.
https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101 ... 1.145920v1

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Widespread mask-wearing could prevent COVID-19 second waves: study
LONDON (Reuters) - Population-wide face mask use could push COVID-19 transmission down to controllable levels for national epidemics, and could prevent further waves of the pandemic disease when combined with lockdowns, according to a British study on Wednesday.

The research, led by scientists at the Britain’s Cambridge and Greenwich Universities, suggests lockdowns alone will not stop the resurgence of the new SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus, but that even homemade masks can dramatically reduce transmission rates if enough people wear them in public.

“Our analyses support the immediate and universal adoption of face masks by the public,” said Richard Stutt, who co-led the study at Cambridge.

He said combining widespread mask use with social distancing and some lockdown measures, could be “an acceptable way of managing the pandemic and re-opening economic activity” before the development of an effective vaccine against COVID-19, the respiratory illness caused by the coronavirus.
In this study, researchers linked the dynamics of spread between people with population-level models to assess the effect on the disease’s reproduction rate, or R value, of different scenarios of mask adoption combined with periods of lockdown.

The R value measures the average number of people that one infected person will pass the disease on to. An R value above 1 can lead to exponential growth.

The study found that if people wear masks whenever they are in public it is twice as effective at reducing the R value than if masks are only worn after symptoms appear.

In all scenarios the study looked at, routine face mask use by 50% or more of the population reduced COVID-19 spread to an R of less than 1.0, flattening future disease waves and allowing for less stringent lockdowns.
Just think if the WHO hadn't spent months discouraging mask use.
William Shakespeare

robinson

Post by robinson »

I fucking hate wearing a mask.
♪ ♫ ♩ ♬ "

♪ ♫ ♩ ♬