Re: Wuhan Flu Truth and Big Brother Narratives

Post by robinson »

Made me think of the Atheist
still working on Sophrosyne, but I will no doubt end up with Hubris
Witness

Post by Witness »

US health insurers doubled profits in second quarter amid pandemic

US’s largest health insurer, UnitedHealth Group, reported $6.7bn in profits compared with $3.4bn for the same quarter last year

The enormous medical response in America to the coronavirus pandemic has not put a drain on US health insurers, which doubled profits in the second quarter of 2020 compared with the same time last year.

The US fight against the virus has been marked by overwhelmed hospitals, testing delays and personal protective equipment (PPE) shortages, but the high profits reported by some insurers have underlined concerns about America’s for-profit healthcare model.

The country’s largest health insurer, UnitedHealth Group, reported its profits were $6.7bn in the second quarter of 2020 compared with $3.4bn in last year’s. Anthem’s profits rose to $2.3bn from $1.1bn for the same three-month period in 2019. Humana reported last week its earnings rose to $1.8bn, compared with $940m in 2019.
Last week, the House energy and commerce committee said it was launching an investigation into health and dental insurance companies’ business practices in response to the profits they have reaped during the crisis.

There is, however, a simple explanation for the increases.

After a short period of uncertainty, it became clear that the cost of providing medical care would be lower in 2020. People were avoiding the doctor’s office and delaying elective surgeries such as knee replacement. Those with mild symptoms of Covid-19 were initially advised to stay home unless they needed urgent care.

But the money insurance companies collect each month from individuals, known as premiums, kept pouring in. “Private insurance companies make money by taking in premiums and not paying for care,” Woolhandler said.

The drop in spending was a benefit for insurers, but has left already struggling independent doctor’s offices and rural hospitals vulnerable to closures and layoffs.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... mic-profit
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

Fake study published in predatory journal. Read it while you can:

https://www.journalajmah.com/index.php/ ... view/30232

SARS-CoV-2 was Unexpectedly Deadlier than Push-scooters: Could Hydroxychloroquine be the Unique Solution?
Authors’ contributions
This work was carried out in collaboration among all authors. Author WO launched idea on Twitter,
added some sentences, submitted the paper, corresponded with the kind publisher. Author MR
launched MP group on Twitter and Google Docs, performed study 1, added some sentences here and
there, responded to reviewers. Author VR needed SIGAPS points, did the minimum. Found a beautiful
picture for figure 3. Author FC wrote a lot of sentences but didn't need too many SIGAPS points, so
fourth place was not as bad. Also, performed Study 3 in his head (philosophers are good at thoughtexperiments). Author DL was on holidays and added his name at the last time. Author ST wrote nothing but provided the push-scooters and did the outside job. Author ÖFH did nothing but is a very
good friend of us; he helped us get some administrative paperwork. Author NM said "waouf" when the
authors started to doubt (doubts are common in science, don't let them win you over, believe in
yourself and what you do, don't let anyone distract you from the truth you know). Author MJ wrote
sentences and said that the last place will be "enough for him". He does it every time, and it works
pretty well on interns, we have to admit. All authors read and approved the final manuscript.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.
robinson
Title: Pretty much dead already

Post by robinson »

robinson

Post by robinson »

robinson

Post by robinson »

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.
robinson

Post by robinson »

https://justthenews.com/politics-policy ... battle?amp

My cuz has been donating antibodies for months now

Finally they are going to use the good old fashioned immuno gaba globulins
robinson

Post by robinson »

Back in the day they did this for smallpox, including cases caused by the vaccine
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

https://www.ideastream.org/news/article ... s-response
For the first time in more than a century, Ohio lawmakers have filed articles of impeachment against a sitting governor.

State Rep. John Becker (R-Union Township) is putting the matter forward over fellow Republican Gov. Mike DeWine’s response to the coronavirus.

“I kept holding out hope that we wouldn’t get to this place,” Becker said in a statement Monday. “For months and months, I’ve been hearing the cries of my constituents and of suffering people from every corner of Ohio. They keep screaming, ‘DO SOMETHING!’ They are hurting. Their businesses are declining and depreciating. Their jobs have vanished. The communities that have sustained their lives are collapsing, and becoming shells of what they once were.

“It is long past time to put an end to government gone wild,” Becker said.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Just another example of fucking asshats doing absurd bullshit to get their names in the headlines. Don't they have real work to do?
robinson

Post by robinson »

Politicians? Real work?

Hmmmm

So many questions
Witness

Post by Witness »

F.D.A. ‘Grossly Misrepresented’ Blood Plasma Data, Scientists Say

Many experts — including a scientist who worked on the Mayo Clinic study — were bewildered about where a key statistic came from.

At a news conference on Sunday announcing the emergency approval of blood plasma for hospitalized Covid-19 patients, President Trump and two of his top health officials cited the same statistic: that the treatment had reduced deaths by 35 percent.

Mr. Trump called it a “tremendous” number. His health and human services secretary, Alex M. Azar II, a former pharmaceutical executive, said, “I don’t want you to gloss over this number.” And Dr. Stephen M. Hahn, the commissioner of the Food and Drug Administration, said 35 out of 100 Covid-19 patients “would have been saved because of the administration of plasma.”

But scientists were taken aback by the way the administration framed this data, which appeared to have been calculated based on a small subgroup of hospitalized Covid-19 patients in a Mayo Clinic study: those who were under 80 years old, not on ventilators and received plasma known to contain high levels of virus-fighting antibodies within three days of diagnosis.

What’s more, many experts — including a scientist who worked on the Mayo Clinic study — were bewildered about where the statistic came from. The number was not mentioned in the official authorization letter issued by the agency, nor was it in a 17-page memo written by F.D.A. scientists. It was not in an analysis conducted by the Mayo Clinic that has been frequently cited by the administration.

“For the first time ever, I feel like official people in communications and people at the F.D.A. grossly misrepresented data about a therapy,” said Dr. Walid Gellad, who leads the Center for Pharmaceutical Policy and Prescribing at the University of Pittsburgh.

It is especially worrisome, he said, given concerns over how Mr. Trump has appeared to politicize the process of approving treatments and vaccines for the coronavirus. Over the next couple of months, as data emerges from vaccine clinical trials, the safety of potentially millions of people will rely on the scientific judgment of the F.D.A. “That’s a problem if they’re starting to exaggerate data,” Dr. Gellad said. “That’s the big problem.”

When asked where the 35 percent figure came from, an agency spokeswoman initially directed a reporter to a graph of survival statistics buried in the Trump administration’s application for emergency authorization. The chart, analyzing the same tiny subset of Mayo Clinic study patients, did not include numerical figures, but it appeared to indicate a 30-day survival probability of about 63 percent in patients who received plasma with a low level of antibodies, compared with about 76 percent in those who received a high level of antibodies.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/24/heal ... lasma.html

Tremendous!
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

The charts are on page 12 of this document:

https://www.fda.gov/media/141481/download

The text at the bottom of page 11 explains the two charts. The tick marks on each curve represent "censored data". Please see these explanations of Kaplan-Meier charts:

https://towardsdatascience.com/kaplan-m ... 768e349479

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaplan%E2 ... _estimator

IMHO the Emergency Use Authorization Request document provides insufficient data and insufficient analysis to support a conclusion that plasma treatments can result in a 35% improvement in survival probability. There are many factors involved and two such charts don't tell us enough. I'd like to see charts and data for people who received plasma versus people who didn't.

Also the sample sizes may not be sufficiently large.

What we can see is that survival probability started to level in both treatment arms after 25 days, and remained pretty much level after 30 days, 50, and so on. Survival probability does not drop below 50% in either chart for either treatment arm. Also, the "at risk" numbers below each chart represent the number of patients still being treated at each time point. There, we see that about half of the patients, for whatever reason, were no longer in the treatment pools at each listed point. Usually such charts have more time points on the X axis than in these charts.

I have seen some discussion about the difference between relative risk and absolute risk. I'll have to read up on that--suffice to say that some medical scientists are a bit concerned that the FDA person doesn't seem to understand the difference.

As always, I defer to people who are much smarter, experienced, and knowledgeable than I in medical science and statistical analysis.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

William Shakespeare
robinson

Post by robinson »

Interesting
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Some bad news on the vaccine front:

AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine study put on hold due to suspected adverse reaction in participant in the U.K.
A large, Phase 3 study testing a Covid-19 vaccine being developed by AstraZeneca and the University of Oxford at dozens of sites across the U.S. has been put on hold due to a suspected serious adverse reaction in a participant in the United Kingdom.

A spokesperson for AstraZeneca, a frontrunner in the race for a Covid-19 vaccine, said in a statement that the company’s “standard review process triggered a pause to vaccination to allow review of safety data.”

In a follow-up statement, AstraZeneca said it initiated the study hold. The nature of the adverse reaction and when it happened were not immediately known, though the participant is expected to recover, according to an individual familiar with the matter.
So all we know really is that a possible adverse reaction has been reported and the Phase III study has been paused.

They aren't saying what sort of adverse event occurred.

A leading coronavirus vaccine trial is on hold: scientists react
Enrolment in global trials of a leading coronavirus-vaccine candidate are on hold after a ‘suspected adverse event’ in a person who received the vaccine in the United Kingdom. Scientists say that it’s too soon to say what impact this might have on the global push to develop a vaccine, but that the news highlights the importance of waiting for the results of large, properly designed trials to assess safety before approving a vaccine for widespread use.

Researchers at the University of Oxford, UK, in collaboration with the pharmaceutical company AstraZeneca, are developing the vaccine, which is one of nine coronavirus vaccines in the final, ‘phase III’ stage of being tested.

Details of the adverse event, including how serious it is and when it happened, have not been reported by Oxford or AstraZeneca. But the trial’s pause comes amid concerns that US drug agencies might face political pressure to approve a vaccine before trials are completed, ahead of the US presidential election in November.
And of course, talk immediately turns to politics in the US.

What do we actually know? Nothing, because they aren't releasing details about what happened, but still, people want to talk about the politics.
“The clinical hold shows that there are functioning checks and balances, in spite of political pressure,” says Marie-Paule Kieny, a vaccine researcher at INSERM, the French national health-research institute in Paris. “It might indeed remind everybody — even presidents — that for vaccines, safety is paramount,” she says.
William Shakespeare
robinson

Post by robinson »

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

I haven't read the article yet, but is there truly a lack of outbreaks in Africa, or is it that not many tests are being given relative to the population size?

If people aren't being tested, then they probably also aren't being reported in the statistics.

A brief look at Worldometer:
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Shows that the USA has conducted almost 90 millions tests. In Africa, South Africa has conducted almost 4 million tests, and only 2 other countries have conducted more than 1 million.

Other factors: the median age in Africa is less than 20 years old. Compared to 38 in North America and 43 in Europe. We know that young people are less likely to have severe symptoms if they get it at all.
William Shakespeare
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

KInd of interesting video on Vitamin D
William Shakespeare
robinson

Post by robinson »

Africans have plenty of D
robinson

Post by robinson »

The Atheist

Post by The Atheist »

Anaxagoras wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:47 amOther factors: the median age in Africa is less than 20 years old. Compared to 38 in North America and 43 in Europe. We know that young people are less likely to have severe symptoms if they get it at all.
All of the above.

Tanzania is my go-to example. They show no infections since 10 May, and only 21 deaths in total. In a population of 60 million.

Yet we know that three of the dead were Members of Parliament, and that they haven't conducted a single test since early May. Their president doesn't like it, so it's not counted or reported. The chances of 3 MPs dying out of 21 in a population of 60M is millions to one - there are clearly a lot more dead than they're saying.

Who the fuck knows what the true picture is in Africa? I expect their fatality rate to be much lower due to the median age, but thinking they haven't had much of the disease is wishful thinking.
robinson wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:11 pm Africans have plenty of D
Haha! You just love being wrong, don't you.

20% seriously deficient, and a majority deficient: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lang ... 9/fulltext

They have the lowest levels of any continent.

The irony of the previous post I saw of yours, which mentioned science, is fucking deep. You wouldn't know science if it bit your leg off.
Jeff Wagg, Communication and Outreach Manager for the James Randi Educational Foundation posted:

"It is my job to inform other JREF employees about people who wish to do the JREF harm, and you [The Atheist] are one of those.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Here's an African success story, hope it's true:
Senegal's quiet COVID success: Test results in 24 hours, temperature checks at every store, no fights over masks

COVID-19 test results come back within 24 hours – or even faster. Hotels have been transformed into quarantine units. Scientists are racing to develop a cutting-edge, low-cost ventilator.

This isn't the pandemic response in South Korea, New Zealand or another country held up as a model of coronavirus containment success.

It's Senegal, a west African country with a fragile health care system, a scarcity of hospital beds and about seven doctors for every 100,000 people. And yet Senegal, with a population of 16 million, has tackled COVID-19 aggressively and, so far, effectively. More than six months into the pandemic, the country has about 14,000 cases and 284 deaths.

"You see Senegal moving out on all fronts: following science, acting quickly, working the communication side of the equation, and then thinking about innovation," said Judd Devermont, director of the Africa program at the Center for Strategic and International Studies, a nonpartisan foreign policy think tank.

Senegal deserves "to be in the pantheon of countries that have ... responded well to this crisis, even given its low resource base," Devermont said.

Senegal snagged the No. 2 slot in a recent analysis looking at how 36 countries have handled the pandemic. The United States landed near the bottom: 31st of the 36 countries examined by Foreign Policy magazine, which included a mix of wealthy, middle income and developing nations.

Senegal received strong marks for "a high degree of preparedness and a reliance on facts and science," while the U.S. was dinged for poor public health messaging, limited testing and other shortcomings.

Devermont and others say Senegal's quiet success is due to a combination of quick action, clear communication and its experience during the 2014 Ebola outbreak.

During that health crisis, Senegal confirmed its first case on Aug. 29; officials immediately identified 74 other people the patient had been in contact with and began monitoring and testing them.

"Testing was prompt and reliable; all results were negative," the World Health Organization said in declaring the outbreak over just a few months later. "With outbreaks raging just across its borders, Senegal was well-prepared, with a detailed response plan in place as early as March."
https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/worl ... 659696002/ for the rest.
The Atheist

Post by The Atheist »

I'm sure it is. While some African countries have been shit, a couple of them have been right on top of it, and mask-wearing is high.

Their problem will be keeping it from crossing borders, when all your good work can come undone quickly.
Jeff Wagg, Communication and Outreach Manager for the James Randi Educational Foundation posted:

"It is my job to inform other JREF employees about people who wish to do the JREF harm, and you [The Atheist] are one of those.
robinson

Post by robinson »

Says somebody with no evidence at all
robinson

Post by robinson »

robinson

Post by robinson »

Just as I predicted, the rona is pretty much nothing now

In the one country that didn’t go along with the hysteria, fear mongering and idiocy
Last edited by robinson on Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
gnome

Post by gnome »

Hard to tell without more time passing, it seems like that came at the cost of significantly more deaths and long-term health effects than otherwise.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2
robinson

Post by robinson »

At this point Sweden is barely in the top ten for deaths by percentage of population
gnome

Post by gnome »

Yay?
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

robinson wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:01 am At this point Sweden is barely in the top ten for deaths by percentage of population
Japan is doing far better yet.

12 times the population of Sweden but one quarter the deaths.

If you go by deaths/million population Sweden has more than 50 times more deaths.

Maybe they've finally reached some kind of herd immunity threshold that is still far away for Japan but it's hard to say that they fared particularly well.
William Shakespeare
robinson

Post by robinson »

Yay!
robinson

Post by robinson »

robinson

Post by robinson »

As a skeptic I don’t just believe some expert about the virus

But I completely don’t believe the Chinese government, and just like with the first SARS, no animal has been found with the virus

You probably don’t remember, or maybe never knew it, but SARS was eventually created in a lab by modification of a virus found in animals

Early on other virus experts were saying C19 seemed to be created, but they all went quiet

The question I have is this

If it is true it was created, it’s man made, and there is undeniable evidence that comes forth

What then?

For the sake of an argument, what would change? What could anyone do about it?
robinson

Post by robinson »

I say nothing. Nothing will change at all. Nobody, not Trump or Biden or Gates or any leader of any country can or will do anything about it.

Seriously.

Even if The leader of China came out and said yes, it was created in a lab in China, what are you going to do?
gnome

Post by gnome »

It would affect many things, clearly. We might not find it prudent to go to war over it, but the most extreme consequence is not the only one that there is. Certainly it would affect future joint biotech ventures, and that's just the most direct result.
--Soldier, TF2
robinson

Post by robinson »

Hmmm

So you agree, nothing would be done