Starlink is Live

We are the Borg.
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Starlink is Live

Post by Rob Lister »

I signed up. I'm sure it will be at least another year before anyone actually has the service but I do like to be in the loop!

http://starlink.com

U.S Customers only, at this point.

Meanwhile, FCC Chairman Ajit Pai doesn't like it.
FCC has “serious doubts” that SpaceX can deliver latencies under 100ms
SpaceX can apply in low-latency tier, but FCC says it faces “substantial challenge.”
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/202 ... der-100ms/

I won't bother further quoting because Pai is a lying political piece-o-shit. Suffice to say, I've seen no technical argument that suggests Starlink's average latency will be anywhere near that high. ~20ms is probably closer to the truth.

but hey, if you care about a rebuttal to Pai's ridiculous claim, a commenter on Ars makes a fairly succinct one.
Spoiler:
Statistical Ars Tribunus Angusticlavius et Subscriptor wrote:
Propagation delay in a satellite network does not alone account for latency in other parts of the network such as processing, routing, and transporting traffic to its destination. Short-form applicants seeking to bid as a low-latency provider using low-Earth orbit satellite networks will face a substantial challenge demonstrating to Commission staff that their networks can deliver real-world performance to consumers below the Commission's 100ms low-latency threshold.

All this applies to every network ever built since networking became a thing. The latency of a cable* internet provider depends on their local loop latency plus latency delays from processing, routing, and transporting traffic to its destination.

Everything upstream of the ground station is identical to any other network provider. Yes SpaceX will need to secure peering and/or transit connections to the internet at large. So does anyone. Any isp without a connection to the larger internet isn't an isp.

If SpaceX cheaps out or fubars the peering/transit arrangements then yeah it will have excessive latency beyond the space based portion but the same would be true is SpaceX was rolling out cable internet or fiber service. Why is the FCC not worried about gross incompetence in arranging transit for isps using those technologies.

Also it is unlikely SpaceX is going to build any of this anymore than a small regional isp would. There are existing transit providers. You connect to their network by running fiber from your location(s) to their interchange and pay them for the service. They already have fat pipes and peering agreements with other major providers. Usually they are colocated in datacenters with other transit providers so changing due to poor service is simple and competition is robust.

Yeah if/when you get big enough maybe you switch from transit to peering with a major network providers but getting transit to the internet at large on day one is a turnkey service.

Either the FCC Chairman has no understanding of basic networks (unlikely) or this is just pure cronyism.

* or passive fiber (GPON), or dsl, or fixed wireless (microwave), or cellular (LTE) service, or municipal ethernet service, or traditional (GSO) satellite provider, or even dialup.
Last edited by Rob Lister on Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:07 am, edited 4 times in total.
ed
Title: G_D

Re: Starlink is Live

Post by ed »

https://www.starlink.com/

Linkee poo provided as a public service
About that stereo
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

As another public service, here are two speed tests, one cross-country, one local.

Starlink would probably lose on the local ping but kick the cross-countries ping's ass twice and still have time to spare. Of course, I have no idea how they'll do their internal routing but the sat-to-sat routing is three times faster than fiber and much, much closer to a straight line ... a series of three or four zig-zag hops, at worst.
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

Fuck! I missed this morning's launch.

Yet another 58 starlink sats heading to orbit. This makes 540 so far. They are currently approved for 12,000, so 1/24th of the way there.

Ultimate goal is 30,000.

Sucessful stage one recover, btw. Video didn't even cut out this time. cool.

Here's the current schedule, according to wiki

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

Astronomers might as well give up.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

Musk is now painting them black to appease them
https://techcrunch.com/2020/04/22/elon- ... JAkDfDEONT.
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Skynet? :)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.
Fid

Post by Fid »

Pyrrho wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:07 pm Astronomers might as well give up.
30,000 eh? There is probably a an expensive imaging fix for the pros, little guys though...

On the other hand the entire enterprise might fail and sometime in the future there could be one hell of a meteor shower.
... The stars were suns, but so far away they were just little points of light ... The scale of the universe suddenly opened up to me. It was a kind of religious experience. There was a magnificence to it, a grandeur, a scale which has never left me. Never ever left me.
Carl Sagan
Witness

Post by Witness »

Rob Lister wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:59 am As another public service, here are two speed tests
Our local fiber is 10Gb/s (at 60 bucks/month and with an Ethernet cable; for LAN they say "up to 2.2", sneaky bastards).
Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

All that trouble, just to make it easier to watch pr0n. :coolspecs:

It is the history of technology from the first photography up to today.

Witness

Post by Witness »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:40 am from the first photography up to today.
Medieval kings sometimes sent painters to foreign courts when shopping for a wife. :mrgreen:
Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Witness wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:00 am
Abdul Alhazred wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:40 am from the first photography up to today.
Medieval kings sometimes sent painters to foreign courts when shopping for a wife. :mrgreen:
Now any jadrool can in effect do the same. Progress. 8)

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

Next mission: 109 minutes from now.

no now!

no ... now!!

Delayed!!! Factits.