World’s pile of e-waste grows ever higher

We are the Borg.
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

World’s pile of e-waste grows ever higher

Post by Rob Lister »

BERLIN (AP) — The world’s mountain of discarded flat-screen TVs, cellphones and other electronic goods grew to a record high last year, according to an annual report released Thursday.

The U.N.-backed study estimated the amount of e-waste that piled up globally in 2019 at 53.6 million metric tonnes (59.1 million tons) - almost 2 million metric tons more than the previous year.

The authors of the study calculated the combined weight of all dumped devices with a battery or a plug last year was the equivalent of350 cruise ships the size of the Queen Mary 2.

Among all the discarded plastic and silicon were large amounts of copper, gold and other precious metals — used for example to conduct electricity on circuit boards. While about a sixth of it was recycled, the remainder of those valuable components — worth about $57 billion — weren’t reclaimed, the study found.
https://apnews.com/f2706b256cb163c1e662c2e4f9d7f78e

Queen Mary 2 as a comparison metric. How many human hairs is that. How many Hiroshimas?

The reason that $57B wasn't reclaimed is because it would cost $58B to do it.

WHO claims
E-waste-connected health risks may result from direct contact with harmful materials such as lead, cadmium, chromium, brominated flame retardants or polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), from inhalation of toxic fumes, as well as from accumulation of chemicals in soil, water and food.
It seems to me that most of the health concerns are directly caused by said reclamation processes, especially those done on the cheap in third world nations, which also happen to be the only place its cost effective

Just dump it in the ocean. It's mostly inert plastic. The trace amounts of lead and mercury in that whole lot wouldn't amount to shit compared to a single ton of burning coal.

Okay, chromium is pretty dangerous, but in when combined with Microsoft Edge browsers.

If I'm wrong, correct me with your manly firmness. I'm a lump of clay. Mold me.

Witness

Re: World’s pile of e-waste grows ever higher

Post by Witness »