Coronavirus, Global warming, and impeaching the sources

We are the Borg.
robinson
Title: Sweetheart

Coronavirus, Global warming, and impeaching the sources

Post by robinson »

Over in some other topic about some virus we don't really know much about, I realized after making a comment about it (see below)
robinson wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:50 pm
I think everybody would love to see actual factual figures, on everything.
I realized something, and remembered a blog post from a long time ago, about facts and arguments, and science. It was something about how nobody argues over actual facts, or matters that can be measured and understood. Hard science if you will. Actual science. Like basic physics and engineering, machining and materials, maybe even aircraft and boat design. How a wheel works, how to make fire, some things even the most insane person might not argue about.

I realized about a decade later that people will indeed argue over facts. But only when they don't like the facts. They don't actually argue the science as much, they go for impeaching the data. Or the source of the data, or both.
robinson wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:12 pm
It is a lot like "global climate change/global warming/we are all doomed"

(checks News stories)

Yep, in fact it is worse than I could have imagined.
It isn't hard to find examples of how the Corona quickly became connected to the global warming.
IT IS AN invisible, deadly menace. It’s causing almost unfathomable economic destruction. We knew it was coming, but were caught woefully unprepared. It tricked nations into blaming one another—the US being the primary antagonist—instead of working together to stop it.

It is the novel coronavirus SARS-CoV-2, and it is climate change
https://www.wired.com/story/coronavirus ... te-change/
No war, no recession, no previous pandemic has had such a dramatic impact on emissions of CO2 over the past century as Covid-19 has in a few short months.

Multiple sources indicate we are now living through an unrivalled drop in carbon output.

But even though we will see a massive fall this year, the concentrations of CO2 that are in the atmosphere and warming our planet won't stabilise until the world reaches net-zero.
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-52485712
Estimates of the full drop in carbon emissions vary as analysts adjust their models around the coronavirus pandemic, but the lowest estimates still expect about a 5% drop in emissions.

“This may sound small at first, but it is the largest drop since World War II, as emissions have generally increased year-over-year, even during recessions,” Ankur Desai, a professor of atmospheric sciences at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, told USA TODAY.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/fac ... 090790001/

Fact check: The coronavirus pandemic isn’t slowing climate change

As in all things measurable, what does the data show us?

And that's how the argument starts
oh really?

robinson
Title: Sweetheart

Re: Coronavirus, Global warming, and impeaching the sources

Post by robinson »

Chloroquine

Which turns out to be a safer version of quinine

What’s the real story? It seems self evident any rational person would want to know

But damn

Is there another reason people would impeach a source of knowledge?
oh really?