Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

The Origin of Elements

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Folks here may appreciate ... 8)

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap200809.html

Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.
sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Re: The Origin of Elements

Post by sparks »

There's a lot of extra 'science' there that has yet to be vetted beyond the original explanation of supernova.

Not buying it at this point.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.
ceptimus

Post by ceptimus »

Don't see why Plutonium is on the chart with a colour, while other not-naturally-occurring-on-present-day-earth elements aren't. If you're trying to explain the origins of elements like Plutonium that have since decayed away to nothing, why not include other super-heavy unstable elements, plus Technetium (Tc 43) and other unstable non-occurring ones?
Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Perhaps plutonium has definitively been detected in the spectra of merging neutron stars (or something like that), but not so much neptunium etc?

No facts, just speculating. :)

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

ceptimus wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:47 pm Don't see why Plutonium is on the chart with a colour, while other not-naturally-occurring-on-present-day-earth elements aren't. If you're trying to explain the origins of elements like Plutonium that have since decayed away to nothing, why not include other super-heavy unstable elements, plus Technetium (Tc 43) and other unstable non-occurring ones?
Plutonium and all others are naturally occurring elements my friend. But, Plutoniums half life is so short that one does not find it in nature because every bit of it created in that particular supernova that seeded our planet has decayed away to duck shit. :lol:

Don't know about the half life of the others: You look it up, you're the one who asked the stupid fucking question. Expect a report by tomorrow. :De_Bunk:
ceptimus

Post by ceptimus »

sparks wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:07 pm
ceptimus wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:47 pm Don't see why Plutonium is on the chart with a colour, while other not-naturally-occurring-on-present-day-earth elements aren't. If you're trying to explain the origins of elements like Plutonium that have since decayed away to nothing, why not include other super-heavy unstable elements, plus Technetium (Tc 43) and other unstable non-occurring ones?
Plutonium and all others are naturally occurring elements my friend. But, Plutoniums half life is so short that one does not find it in nature because every bit of it created in that particular supernova that seeded our planet has decayed away to duck shit. :lol:

Don't know about the half life of the others: You look it up, you're the one who asked the stupid fucking question. Expect a report by tomorrow. :De_Bunk:
You don't seem to have disagreed with me :? I said why is Plutonium coloured in when other decayed-away elements aren't - and then you said exactly the same thing about Plutonium while implying that what I said was wrong. :?
robinson
Title: Sweetheart

Post by robinson »

Plutonium occurs in nature (from uranium decay, in very minute amounts)

This would be Pu-239

But Pu-244 with an 80 million year half life was found in pitch blend in 1971, the hypothesis is it has existed since the beginning of earth

Pu does exist naturally on earth, but in very very small amounts

So everybody is wrong in some way
sparks

Post by sparks »

ceptimus wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:33 pm
sparks wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:07 pm

You don't seem to have disagreed with me :? I said why is Plutonium coloured in when other decayed-away elements aren't - and then you said exactly the same thing about Plutonium while implying that what I said was wrong. :?
Sorry, my mistake. :oops:
Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

How it got in the earth's crust is not relevant unless it formed there originally.

For a less controversial example: There's a helluva lot of hydrogen in the Earth's crust (mostly in hydrates), but it's still 100% Big Bang.

robinson
Title: Sweetheart

Post by robinson »

Plutonium is formed all the time by uranium, naturally

In very small amounts

The graphic is wrong
sparks

Post by sparks »

Hydrogen and Helium--Big Bang.

Everything else--Supernova.