Breakthrough Prize

We are the Borg.
Witness

Breakthrough Prize

Post by Witness »

Imperial mathematician scoops $3m Breakthrough Prize

Professor Sir Martin Hairer is the single winner of the 2021 Breakthrough Prize in Mathematics.

Professor Hairer is recognised “for transformative contributions to the theory of stochastic analysis, particularly the theory of regularity structures in stochastic partial differential equations.”

He receives three million USD and a trophy, to be presented at a live awards ceremony next year, and will engage in a program of lectures and discussions.

The Breakthrough Prizes are the largest prizes in science, and aim to “help scientific leaders gain freedom from financial constraints to focus fully on the world of ideas; to raise the profile and prestige of basic science and mathematics, fomenting a culture in which intellectual pursuits are validated; and to inspire the next generation of researchers to follow the lead of these extraordinary scientific role models.”

The Breakthrough Prizes were founded by Sergey Brin, Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg, Yuri and Julia Milner, and Anne Wojcicki. The Prizes have been sponsored by the personal foundations established by Sergey Brin, Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg, Ma Huateng, Jack Ma, Yuri and Julia Milner and Anne Wojcicki.
https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/203853/ ... uhxyHCvWMs
ed
Title: G_D

Re: Breakthrough Prize

Post by ed »

Big head.
About that stereo
Fid

Post by Fid »

2021? Yeah I know 2020 sucks but damn.
... The stars were suns, but so far away they were just little points of light ... The scale of the universe suddenly opened up to me. It was a kind of religious experience. There was a magnificence to it, a grandeur, a scale which has never left me. Never ever left me.
Carl Sagan
robinson
Title: Pretty much dead already

Post by robinson »

Finally, a prize I can win
still working on Sophrosyne, but I will no doubt end up with Hubris
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

Why is an award for 2021 being given in 2020?
robinson
Title: Pretty much dead already

Post by robinson »

Announced in 2020, awarded in 2021
still working on Sophrosyne, but I will no doubt end up with Hubris