SARS-CoV-2 vaccines

We are the Borg.
Anaxagoras

Re: SARS-CoV-2 vaccines

Post by Anaxagoras »

Oxford-AstraZeneca Vaccine Safety

Article by Steve Novella of the Skeptic's Guide podcast about the blood clotting question.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare (probably Socrates originally)
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

Unlike the other companies, AZ did not conduct the same large-population studies. Instead, they have pooled data from multiple smaller studies performed in several countries at different times. That has inspired less confidence.

https://www.statnews.com/2021/03/15/the ... 9-vaccine/
Approvals for the AstraZeneca vaccine are based on clinical trials that were conducted in the U.K., Brazil, and South Africa. Published analyses of the data pool these clinical trials, an unusual strategy. The trial also included information on a second dosing strategy, which used a lower first dose and waited longer between the two doses.

The EMA’s report on the results says “the dossier suffers from a lack of sponsor oversight which impacts the reporting of data and therefore data integrity.” However, it concludes that “the data are sufficiently robust to allow conclusions regarding efficacy and safety.” The EMA estimated the vaccine was about 60% effective, and the data presented show no signs that patients receiving the vaccine were any more likely to develop blood clots than those on placebo.

AstraZeneca has not filed with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, which likely means the FDA wants to wait for U.S. results, which could come any day.
However:
The U.S. study, started last September and including 30,000 patients, is, like the studies for the Moderna and Johnson & Johnson vaccines, being run with the U.S. National Institutes of Health. It’s the best hope for settling any questions or concerns about the AstraZeneca vaccine once and for all.
So now we wait.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Pyrrho wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:42 am
So now we wait.
Apparently the wait is over and the results appear to be pretty good.

https://www.astrazeneca.com/media-centr ... int.html#!

I would like to see what numbers the claimed efficacy rates are based on. They are claiming 100% efficacy at preventing severe illness. 79% for testing positive.

From 15 days after the second dose. I would take it. Of course, it's already being used in other countries on a much larger scale.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

What about the evidences of the autism?

– J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

You get that from the aduvant.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Pfizer-BioNTech shot stops covid spread, Israeli study seems to show
The Pfizer Inc. and BioNTech SE coronavirus vaccine appeared to stop the vast majority of recipients in Israel becoming infected, providing the first real-world indication that the immunization will curb transmission of the coronavirus.

The vaccine, which is being rolled out in a national immunization program that began Dec. 20, was 89.4% effective at preventing laboratory-confirmed infections, according to a copy of a draft publication that was posted on Twitter and confirmed by a person familiar with the work. The companies worked with Israel’s Health Ministry on the preliminary observational analysis, which wasn’t peer-reviewed. Some scientists disputed its accuracy.

The results, also reported in Der Spiegel, are the latest in a series of positive data to emerge out of Israel, which has given more coronavirus vaccines per capita than anywhere else in the world. Almost half of the population has had at least one dose of vaccine. Separately, Israeli authorities on Saturday said the Pfizer-BioNTech shot was 99% effective at preventing deaths from the virus.

If confirmed, the early results on lab-tested infections are encouraging because they indicate the vaccine may also prevent asymptomatic carriers from spreading the virus that causes covid-19. That’s not been clear because the clinical trials that tested the safety and efficacy of vaccines focused on the ability to stop symptomatic infections.

“These are the data we need to see to estimate the potential for achieving herd immunity with vaccines,” said Raina MacIntyre, professor of biosecurity at the University of New South Wales in Sydney, in an email Monday. “However, we do need to be able to see the data published in a peer-reviewed journal and to be able to scrutinize the data in detail.”
About 80% of SARS-CoV-2 cases in Israel during the time period of the study, from Jan. 17 to Feb. 6, were caused by the more transmissible strain first identified in the U.K. Israel’s vaccination drive began just before the so-called B.1.1.7 variant emerged, fueling infections and leading to a third lockdown on Jan. 8.
Good news. That's the new dominant variant too.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... ry/israel/

New infections are down over 86% from the peak in January. Deaths are down 81% and active cases are down 82%. The full immunity hasn't even kicked in yet. Obviously for some it has, but some of the people have been vaccinated more recently or haven't had their second dose yet.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

https://apnews.com/article/us-news-coro ... 91d06b7da8
But just hours after those encouraging results were reported, the U.S. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases issued an unusual statement.

The agency said the Data and Safety Monitoring Board “expressed concern that AstraZeneca may have included outdated information from that trial, which may have provided an incomplete view of the efficacy data.”

“We urge the company to work with the DSMB to review the efficacy data and ensure the most accurate, up-to-date efficacy data be made public as quickly as possible,” the statement added.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Pfizer says its vaccine 100 percent effective for children aged 12-15
Pfizer Inc. said Wednesday its COVID-19 vaccine was 100 percent effective against the novel coronavirus in children between the ages of 12 and 15, and it will seek emergency use authorization in the United States for the age group in the coming weeks.

Currently, the vaccine developed by Pfizer and its German partner BioNTech SE is approved for use in individuals aged 16 and older.

In a clinical trial involving 2,260 adolescents in the United States, 18 cases of COVID-19, the respiratory illness caused by the virus, were observed in those who had received dummy shots versus none in the vaccinated group.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/covi ... tribution/

The average rate of vaccinations in the US has topped 3 million per day for the first time. If this rate can be maintained, it would put the US 3 months away from fully vaccinating 75% of the population.

Also the global rate is over 17 million per day now. At that pace it would take about 21 more months to vaccinate 5.8 billion people (That's how many people are age 16 or over). Also, I'm assuming 2 doses there, but the one-dose J&J vaccine might mean it takes less time. Right now they appear to account for roughly 5% of the doses available in the US. They have promised 100 million doses by the end of June, but that's still 3 months away. However, 100 million doses of the J&J vaccine would be equivalent to 200 million doses of the others.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

The numbers in Israel look really encouraging to me:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... ry/israel/

The (average) number of daily new infections peaked on Jan. 14th at 8,395/day. On April 3rd, it was down to 384/day. That's 4.6%. In other words, new infections are down over 95% now from the peak. Active cases peaked on Feb. 5th at 84,784, and reached 6,086 on April 3rd. That's 7.2% or 92.8% down from the peak. Deaths are taking a bit longer but they are also down by about 85% from the peak. They are currently at 10/day but should be in the low single digits within a couple more weeks. It suggests that herd immunity is pretty close, if not already reached. Deaths peaked on Jan. 25th, 11 days after the peak for new infections.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

This is how far behind Japan is on vaccinations:

Japan starts COVID-19 vaccinations for elderly
KYODO NEWS - 1 hour ago - 09:31
They are finally just starting today. (Up till now has only been health care workers.)
Japan started vaccinating elderly people against the novel coronavirus Monday, the second group to be inoculated following health care workers, as concern over a "fourth wave" of the pandemic grew.

The government is planning to secure enough shots of the vaccine, developed by U.S. pharmaceutical company Pfizer Inc., for roughly 36 million people aged 65 or older and deliver them to municipalities by late June. The elderly tend to develop more serious symptoms than younger people when infected with the virus.
Late June. I guess we'll see whether that happens. Judging from the track record of statements by the government, I'm a little bit skeptical.
The vaccinations come amid growing concern about a resurgence of infections in some areas, including Tokyo as well as Osaka and Kyoto prefectures, after the country fully lifted a second coronavirus state of emergency last month.

The central government has designated prefectures with surging cases as requiring tough measures to control the spread of the virus, but it has stopped short of declaring a third state of emergency, apparently hoping not to complicate efforts to host the postponed Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics this summer.
Because pretending there isn't an emergency won't "complicate" the efforts?

And Japan isn't just lagging behind other advanced countries, it's behind countries like Indonesia, Morocco, and Mongolia, and behind the global average too.
Following the elderly, people with pre-existing conditions, such as diabetes, and those working at elderly care facilities are slated to be inoculated next, after which vaccinations will eventually be extended to the rest of the population.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Chinese vaccines ‘don’t have very high protection rates,’ official says

BEIJING — In a rare admission of the weakness of Chinese COVID-19 vaccines, the country’s top disease control official says their effectiveness is low and the government is considering mixing them to give them a boost.

Chinese vaccines “don’t have very high protection rates,” said the director of the China Centers for Disease Control, Gao Fu, at a conference Saturday in the southwestern city of Chengdu.

Beijing has distributed hundreds of millions of doses in other countries while also trying to promote doubt about the effectiveness of Western vaccines.

“It’s now under formal consideration whether we should use different vaccines from different technical lines for the immunization process,” Gao said.

The effectiveness rate of a COVID-19 vaccine from Sinovac, a Chinese developer, at preventing symptomatic infections has been found to be as low as 50.4% by researchers in Brazil. By comparison, the vaccine made by Pfizer has been found to be 97% effective.

Beijing has yet to approve any foreign vaccines for use in China, where the coronavirus emerged in late 2019.

Gao gave no details of possible changes in strategy but mentioned mRNA, a previously experimental technique used by Western vaccine developers while China’s drug makers used traditional technology.
https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/st ... veness-low
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Set an appointment to get my Dolly Parton injection 1 tomorrow morning, 9 am sharp. Will inform you bastards how it goes.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Upgrade your stereo first.

– J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

One in, one to go next month. No allergic reaction or any of the other dire adverse events I've been imagining. Marc's has a fairly efficient setup and there were maybe 8 or 9 people getting theirs at the time I got mine. They do require photo ID, insurance card, and prescription insurance card. So that's done for now...assuming I didn't get an injection of plain tap water.

I did clean up the boom box I have, FYI.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Let's see, it's 5.5 hours later. I am running a slight elevation in temperature. Wouldn't call it a fever--no craving for cowbell. Can't distinguish any given ache or pain from the usual gamut so whatever...
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

:hyper:

I mean . . . hope you are feeling better.

– J.D.

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Injection site is a trifle sore but that's to be expected for any vaccination. Not as sore as it was after the Shingrix shots. Aside from that, I got nothing, not even a desire to listen to country music. I have not signed up for the CDC V-Safe program in which I could give them my name, birthdate, phone number, and zip code so they could ask me about any side effects on a regular basis. I guess it doesn't matter if I give them that information because it's already on the forms I had to fill out to get the vaccine. Oh well whatever.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Good to hear it, Pyrrho.

Most of my family stateside have gotten at least their first one. My parents have had both now. Over here, I've probably got at least 3 more months to wait, minimum I figure. The Japanese government says they hope to finish the over-65s by the end of June. Then, I don't know who will be eligible after that. America is doing over 3 million shots per day, but Japan has yet to reach 3 million shots total.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

That I had to go to a converted storage room in the back corner of a Marc's to get vaccinated says something but I am not quite sure what that is. I did not take photos but it was bare concrete floor with social distancing markers, tables arranged in a grid, with plexiglass dividers (literally still have the blue wrapping on the plexi--for privacy I guess) RNs sitting at a desk. I was wondering where the frozen storage was kept, probably behind the door with the STAFF ONLY sign on it. But they were very efficient, helpful, and polite, and clearly knew what they were doing. I am grateful, and I mean that sincerely.
The Atheist

Post by The Atheist »

Pyrrho wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:28 pm That I had to go to a converted storage room in the back corner of a Marc's to get vaccinated says something but I am not quite sure what that is.
Speaks to me about the effort USA's putting in to get vaccines given, and it's a very stark comparison to what happened last year.
Jeff Wagg, Communication and Outreach Manager for the James Randi Educational Foundation posted:

"It is my job to inform other JREF employees about people who wish to do the JREF harm, and you [The Atheist] are one of those.
Witness

Post by Witness »

So far, 5,800 fully vaccinated people have caught Covid anyway in US, CDC says

About 5,800 people who have been vaccinated against coronavirus have become infected anyway, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention tells CNN.
Some became seriously ill and 74 people died, the CDC said. It said 396 -- 7% -- of those who got infected after they were vaccinated required hospitalization.

This is the CDC's first public accounting of breakthrough cases, and the agency is searching for patterns based on patient age and gender, location, type of vaccine, variants and other factors.

"So far, about 5,800 breakthrough cases have been reported to CDC. To date, no unexpected patterns have been identified in case demographics or vaccine characteristics," the CDC told CNN via email.

About 77 million people in the US are fully vaccinated against coronavirus, according to a CNN analysis of CDC data. The CDC's reports on breakthrough cases will lag day-to-day reports of vaccines given, so many, if not most, of those breakthrough cases will have happened weeks ago.
Nonetheless, the total represents a very small percentage of those who have been vaccinated.
Breakthrough cases are expected. The vaccines are not 100% effective in preventing infections and as tens of millions of people are vaccinated, more and more such cases will be reported.
https://edition.cnn.com/2021/04/14/heal ... index.html
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

The US has reached 200 million shots. Japan has yet to reach 2 million.
In the U.S., 202 million doses have been given so far. In the last week, an average of 3.35 million doses per day were administered.
38.5% have received at least their first dose in the US, and 24.3% have been fully vaccinated. In the UK it's 48.8% have received at least their first dose but only 13.4% have been fully vaccinated.

If the rate of new infections is any indication of which strategy leads to better results, the UK strategy of delaying the second dose to get more people their first dose sooner seems to be working better.

I did a little comparison using Worldometer. The US population is about 5 times that of the UK. The US is averaging over 71,000 new infections per day, while the UK is averaging just over 2,500. But even if you multiply that number by 5, that would still still be less than 20% of the corresponding US number.

Of course, there could be other factors besides the difference in vaccination strategy, but it does appear that the UK has at this point got it under better control than the US.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

I guess this counts as good news for Japan:

Japan to secure enough vaccines for all residents by end of September
Japan will secure enough COVID-19 vaccines for all residents age 16 or older by the end of September, vaccine chief Taro Kono said Sunday, as Pfizer has accepted Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga’s request to supply additional doses of the shots.

“They have agreed on the essentials of the matter,” Kono said during a live interview on Fuji TV, adding that further details including the shipment schedule will be discussed later.

Kono did not specify the number of extra doses sought from Pfizer, but said Japan would secure enough supply by the end of September to inoculate all people over 16 years old.

Suga made the request during telephone talks with Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla on Saturday, the last day of his three-day visit to Washington, where he met with U.S. President Joe Biden.

Kono said Pfizer is expected to file a request to expand the use of its vaccine to adolescents aged 12 to 15, having submitted a similar request in the United States. The government will take this into account in rolling out vaccinations, he said.

Japan is seeing a surge of coronavirus cases in recent weeks, which top health experts say is a fourth wave of the COVID-19 pandemic.

The request for more doses also comes as Japan trails far behind Britain, the United States and other nations in the global vaccine rollout.
As it currently stands, less than 1% of the population here has received even a first dose, and only half a percent are fully vaccinated.

But the end of September is still 5 and a half months away. At least I can finally see a light at the end of the tunnel.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/cov ... on-johnson
Of 23 patients who received AstraZeneca’s jab and had symptoms of clots or low platelets, 21 tested positive for antibodies to PF4, researchers report April 16 in the New England Journal of Medicine. Of those, 20 people developed blood clots. The finding adds to previous studies that found the same antibodies in additional patients who got AstraZeneca’s shot and had the dangerous clots.

Five out of six women who had clots after receiving Johnson & Johnson’s shot in the United States also had PF4 antibodies, health officials said April 14 during an Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices meeting.
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2105385

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2104840
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Federal Inspectors Fear More Vaccines Were Exposed to Contamination (New York Times)

The problem seems to be with a particular plant in Baltimore.
Last month, up to 15 million doses of Johnson & Johnson’s vaccine had to be discarded at Emergent’s factory in Baltimore. A new report says problems were not fully investigated and other doses may be compromised.

April 21, 2021

WASHINGTON — Federal regulators have found serious flaws at the Baltimore plant that had to throw out up to 15 million possibly contaminated doses of Johnson & Johnson’s coronavirus vaccine — casting doubt on further production in the United States of a vaccine that the government once viewed as essential in fighting the pandemic.

The regulators for the Food and Drug Administration said that the company manufacturing the vaccine, Emergent BioSolutions, may have contaminated additional doses at the plant. They said the company failed to fully investigate the contamination, while also finding fault with the plant’s disinfection practices, size and design, handling of raw materials and training of workers.

“There is no assurance that other batches have not been subject to cross-contamination,” the F.D.A.’s 12-page report states.

The report amounted to a harsh rebuke of Emergent, which had long played down setbacks at the factory, and added to problems for Johnson & Johnson, whose vaccine had been seen as a game changer because it requires only one shot, can be produced in mass volume and is easily stored.

Production is now on pause in the United States, and all vaccines manufactured at the plant have been quarantined. Johnson & Johnson has fallen well behind on its promises to deliver tens of millions of doses to the federal government, in part because concerns about an extremely rare but dangerous blood-clotting disorder led federal officials last week to temporarily halt distribution.

Serious problems with the practices at that plant, not just an isolated "Oops".
The F.D.A. findings, based on an inspection that ended on Tuesday, underscore questions raised in reports by The New York Times about why Emergent did not fix problems earlier and why federal officials who oversee its lucrative contracts did not demand better performance.

A series of confidential audits last year, obtained by The Times, warned about risks of viral and bacterial contamination and a lack of proper sanitation at the Baltimore plant. Separately, The Times reported, a top federal manufacturing expert cautioned last June that Emergent would have to be “monitored closely.”

Some health officials were taken aback by the F.D.A.’s conclusions.

“I’m shocked — I can’t put it any other way,” said Dr. José R. Romero, chairman of a panel advising the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that later this week will recommend how to handle the Johnson & Johnson vaccine. “Inappropriate disinfection, the prevention of contamination — those are significant and serious violations.”

In statements on Wednesday, the F.D.A., Emergent and Johnson & Johnson all said they were working to resolve the problems at the factory. There was no indication of how long that would take.
One bit of good news though, for anyone who got the J&J vaccine:
The F.D.A. has not yet certified the plant, located in Baltimore’s Bayview neighborhood, and no doses made there have gone to the public. All the Johnson & Johnson shots that have been administered in the United States have come from overseas.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

https://www.wsj.com/articles/pfizer-ide ... 1619006403
Pfizer Identifies Fake Covid-19 Shots Abroad as Criminals Exploit Vaccine Demand
In Mexico, about 80 people received fraudulent doses, and in Poland authorities recovered vials likely containing an antiwrinkle treatment

About 80 people at a clinic in Mexico received a fake vaccine going for about $1,000 a dose, though they don’t appear to have been physically harmed. The vials, found in beach-style beer coolers, had different lot numbers than those sent to the state, and a wrong expiration date, said Dr. Manuel de la O Cavazos, the health secretary of Nuevo León state.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Thanks Biden . . . er . . . Harris.

– J.D.

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

I don't get it. All they need to do is to scan for the nanochip code.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Witness

Post by Witness »

Sixty healthy adults in Belgium and US first in the world to take new Pfizer Covid pill

Pharmaceutcial giant Pfizer has kicked off a human trial for a Covid-19 pill that the company hopes to make available before the end of the year.

The trial, which is held at Pfizer labs in Belgium and the US, includes 60 clean-living adults aged 18-60 and will last for 145 days, according to various media reports. The final 28 days will reportedly used to get screening and dosing right.

The human trial consists of three phases, with more than 200 Pfizer researchers working full-time on the project.

During the first round, volunteers will be tested and monitored on how well the drug is tolerated, while the next phase will consist of adults taking multiple doses and the final phase evolves around the tolerance of the pill in combination with food intake. The final 28 days will reportedly used to get screening and dosing right.

According to Pfizer documents seen by various news outlets, volunteers did receive a warning that the drugs has so far only been tested on a limited number of animals.

“The safety of the study drug has been studied in animals. In these animal studies, no significant risks or safety events of concern were identified, and the study drug did not cause side-effects at any of the dose levels that will be used in clinical studies,” The Telegraph reported, citing Pfizer instructions.

HIV medication

The research is reportedly centred around a man-made anti-viral molecule – called PF 0732133 – which is a protease inhibitor, preventing the virus from reproducing in the nose, throat and lungs.

Protease inhibitors are a key element in the treatment of HIV patients, although the medication often does display long term side effects.

The ties to HIV will also be examined in the trials, with participants given doses of ritonavir, an antiviral drug used in the treatment of HIV that will help increase the amount of PF-07321332 in the participants’ blood.

The anti-viral pill was reportedly developed from scratch since the pandemic kicked off, according to Pfizer’s director of medicinal chemistry, David Owen.
https://www.cityam.com/sixty-healthy-ad ... ovid-pill/
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Well today was the first day where I live that people over age 75 could book an appointment to get vaccinated. We tried to get an appointment for my wife's mother, who is in her 90s, and also her brother's mother-in-law. We were only able to get one of the two appointments (my daughter managed to get through and book an appointment for her uncle's mother-in-law). The actual jab is scheduled for May 20th. It wasn't easy. After about an hour the server went down, and we couldn't get through by phone. Will try again tomorrow.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Managed to get an appointment for my mother-in-law today. This time it was my brother-in-law's daughter who got through. May 23rd. That's everyone in our family who's eligible so far. Now we wait.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Impact and effectiveness of mRNA BNT162b2 vaccine against SARS-CoV-2 infections and COVID-19 cases, hospitalisations, and deaths following a nationwide vaccination campaign in Israel: an observational study using national surveillance data

Bottom line: it works very well. The pandemic is effectively over in Israel. Also, it works just as well for the B.1.1.7 variant of the virus, which was the most prevalent variant in Israel during the study period.
Findings
During the analysis period (Jan 24 to April 3, 2021), there were 232 268 SARS-CoV-2 infections, 7694 COVID-19 hospitalisations, 4481 severe or critical COVID-19 hospitalisations, and 1113 COVID-19 deaths in people aged 16 years or older. By April 3, 2021, 4 714 932 (72·1%) of 6 538 911 people aged 16 years and older were fully vaccinated with two doses of BNT162b2. Adjusted estimates of vaccine effectiveness at 7 days or longer after the second dose were 95·3% (95% CI 94·9–95·7; incidence rate 91·5 per 100 000 person-days in unvaccinated vs 3·1 per 100 000 person-days in fully vaccinated individuals) against SARS-CoV-2 infection, 91·5% (90·7–92·2; 40·9 vs 1·8 per 100 000 person-days) against asymptomatic SARS-CoV-2 infection, 97·0% (96·7–97·2; 32·5 vs 0·8 per 100 000 person-days) against symptomatic COVID-19, 97·2% (96·8–97·5; 4·6 vs 0·3 per 100 000 person-days) against COVID-19-related hospitalisation, 97·5% (97·1–97·8; 2·7 vs 0·2 per 100 000 person-days) against severe or critical COVID-19-related hospitalisation, and 96·7% (96·0–97·3; 0·6 vs 0·1 per 100 000 person-days) against COVID-19-related death. In all age groups, as vaccine coverage increased, the incidence of SARS-CoV-2 outcomes declined. 8006 of 8472 samples tested showed a spike gene target failure, giving an estimated prevalence of the B.1.1.7 variant of 94·5% among SARS-CoV-2 infections.

Interpretation
Two doses of BNT162b2 are highly effective across all age groups (≥16 years, including older adults aged ≥85 years) in preventing symptomatic and asymptomatic SARS-CoV-2 infections and COVID-19-related hospitalisations, severe disease, and death, including those caused by the B.1.1.7 SARS-CoV-2 variant. There were marked and sustained declines in SARS-CoV-2 incidence corresponding to increasing vaccine coverage. These findings suggest that COVID-19 vaccination can help to control the pandemic.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Got Moderna shot #2 yesterday, 9:00 am. Started getting chills around 6:00 pm. Have had a mild fever and aches all day today but not as much as I did when I got the Shingrix vaccine. Upside is that it's evident that I didn't get a placebo.

So now I qualify for the Ohio Vax-A-Million drawing. :hyper:
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

I did not realize that was a thing.

Ohio’s Vax-A-Million lottery: How can you win?

In West Virginia the idea was to give a $100 savings bond to anyone under age 30 who got vaccinated (the logic being that this group was least likely to get vaccinated without an incentive). I'm not sure that it's working though. West Virginia has fallen behind the national average for vaccine uptake, even though they were ahead of other states earlier this year. The lottery thing might work better because I don't think a lot of people think that a $100 savings bond will be life-changing. A chance for a million dollars, even if it's a tiny chance, might be more appealing.

Looking at the rate of vaccinations in the United States, Bloomberg has an interactive map. You can also order the states by vaccination. It's a very nice site for data nerds to play around with.

Anyway, there's really starting to be some big differences among the states. It looks like more people in blue states are getting vaccinated.

Top 5 states by vaccination rate:
1. Vermont 55%
2. Massachusetts 53.2%
3. Connecticut 52.6%
4. Maine 52.5%
5. Hawaii 50.9%

Bottom 5:
46. Tennessee 33.4%
47. Arkansas 32.9%
48. Louisiana 32.2%
49. Alabama 29.8%
50. Mississippi 28.9%

Basically, the rate of vaccination maps pretty well onto how blue or red the state is. The difference between Vermont and Mississippi is 26.1%
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Delaying second dose to 12 weeks instead of 4 weeks may produce a better response:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanc ... 3/fulltext

Guardian article:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/202 ... s-immunity
Witness

Post by Witness »

Pfizer avoids taxes via the Netherlands and makes a profit worth billions

Pfizer earns billions from Covid vaccines purchased by governments. The vaccines have been developed in part thanks to research by universities, and are purchased with taxpayers’ money. But Pfizer prefers to pay as little tax as possible. The company successfully avoids tax authorities via the Netherlands.

Pfizer, until recently mainly known as the producer of Viagra, has struck gold. Pfizer and BioNTech were the first to market their Covid vaccine, and so far there have been no issues with side-effects – in contrast to several competitors. During the first three months of this year, the company saw its revenue increase by 42 percent to 14.6 billion dollars. That benefits all of us, claims Marc Kaptein, director of Pfizer Nederland, in an open letter published in de Volkskrant. He states that the company has invested 2 billion dollars in developing the vaccine. Pfizer and BioNTech expect to sell 21-billion-euros worth of vaccines in 2021. According to Pfizer, the profit margin on that sum is ‘in the high twenties’. A 25 percent margin would amount to more than 5,2 billion euros in profits.

And that is just the beginning. Last week the EU bought 1,8 billion extra doses of Pfizer/BioNTech vaccines. The vaccines will probably be needed for years to come, as follow-up vaccinations will be needed for billions of people to curb Covid-19.

Profit machine

Pfizer, originally an American company, will most likely funnel the billions it receives from governments for its vaccine through tax havens – just as it does with its other earnings. These include the Netherlands, Luxemburg, Ireland and Delaware. For example, in the Dutch company register we can find a Dutch LLC, AHP Manufacturing, that belongs to Pfizer and falls under a Luxembourg-based holding company, Pfizer Shareholdings Intermediate SARL. That corporation’s statutes, in turn, show the involvement of corporations in Gibraltar.

Many of Pfizer’s activities outside the US fall under a Dutch corporation in Capelle aan den IJssel: C.P. Pharmaceuticals International CV (CPPI). CPPI has more than 350 holdings world-wide, including dozens in the tax havens Ireland (25) and Luxembourg (26).

A regular guest in tax havens

Pfizer makes no secret of the fact that it pays considerably less tax proportionally than your corner bakery. Its 2020 annual report notes an ‘effective tax rate’ of 13.5 percent (p. 63). The annual report of the CPPI corporation in Capelle aan den IJssel, states that it had an ‘effective tax rate’ of 14.7 percent over 2018/19. In other words: CPPI paid 2 billion dollars in tax. The previous year that had still been 17.4 percent, amounting to over 3 billion dollars in tax.

That sounds like a handsome contribution to the Dutch treasury, but unfortunately that is not the case: these numbers refer to what its foreign subsidiaries pay in their country of origin. A few pages further down, it becomes clear that CPPI pays nothing at all in the Netherlands. The annual report states: ‘In accordance with Dutch tax laws, CPPI CV is considered transparent in regard to Dutch taxes, and is therefore not subject to Dutch corporate or dividend taxes.’ The 10-billion-euros profit is therefore tax free. All profit can be paid out as dividend to the shareholders, without being taxed.
https://www.ftm.nl/artikelen/pfizer-avo ... etherlands
Witness

Post by Witness »

Covid vaccine profits mint 9 new pharma billionaires

Covid-19 vaccines have created at least nine new billionaires after shares in companies producing the shots soared.
Topping the list of new billionaires are Moderna (MRNA) CEO Stéphane Bancel and Ugur Sahin, the CEO of BioNTech (BNTX), which has produced a vaccine with Pfizer (PFE). Both CEOs are now worth around $4 billion, according to an analysis by the People's Vaccine Alliance, a campaign group that includes Oxfam, UNAIDS, Global Justice Now and Amnesty International.
Senior executives from China's CanSino Biologics and early investors in Moderna have also become billionaires on paper as shares skyrocketed, partly in expectation of profits earned from Covid vaccines, which also bode well for the companies' future prospects. The analysis was compiled using data from the Forbes Rich List.

Moderna's share price has gained more than 700% since February 2020, while BioNTech has surged 600%. CanSino Biologics' stock is up about 440% over the same period. The company's single-dose Covid-19 vaccine was approved for use in China in February.

Activists said the wealth generation highlighted the stark inequality that has resulted from the pandemic. The nine new billionaires are worth a combined $19.3 billion, enough to fully vaccinate some 780 million people in low-income countries, campaigners said.
"These billionaires are the human face of the huge profits many pharmaceutical corporations are making from the monopoly they hold on these vaccines," Anne Marriott, Oxfam's health policy manager, said in a statement. "These vaccines were funded by public money and should be first and foremost a global public good, not a private profit opportunity," she added.

The report coincides with the G20 Global Health Summit taking place on Friday at which world leaders are expected to discuss waiving intellectual property rights on vaccines.
https://edition.cnn.com/2021/05/21/busi ... index.html