South Dakota but the Christians excavating one
remote cliff-face were digging not just for reptilian
vertebrae but for the hand of God.

With screwdrivers, hammers and shaving brushes
for tools, the group was seeking and, as far as it
was concerned, unearthed proof that the animals
perished not millions of years ago but in Noah's
Flood circa 2300 BC.
Please click the link before commenting.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Nigel

Post by Nigel »

We're doomed. A bunch of amateur paleontologists digging up priceless and irreplaceable artifacts of history to prove to themselves the literal truth of Genesis. 48% of Americans believe in the literal truth of Genesis and our origins. Idiocy. Sheer fucking idiocy.

We're doomed.
If you can't laugh, what good are you?

I thought I won't submit this...but who cares...let it roll. -Pillory

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Nigel wrote:We're doomed. A bunch of amateur
paleontologists digging up priceless and irreplaceable artifacts of
history to prove to themselves the literal truth of Genesis. 48% of
Americans believe in the literal truth of Genesis and our origins. Idiocy. Sheer fucking idiocy.

We're doomed.
I agree about the sheer fucking idiocy, but I'm less pessimistic
than you.

As long as they are preserving the artifacts, what's the harm
in the long run?

Truth is great and will prevail!
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

rwald

Post by rwald »

Abdul Alhazred wrote:I agree about the sheer fucking idiocy, but I'm less pessimistic
than you.

in the long run?

If they're willing to bend evidence that others provide to conform to their beliefs, what's to prevent them from physically altering the evidence in their own hands for the same reason? I can't see them not making these bones nearly useless for real scientists. That's what saddens me the most: priceless artifacts being destroyed.
For the record, I don't actually know anything. Not even this.

Ever wondered what being a Caltech undergrad was like?
[url=http://caltizzle.caltech.edu]caltizzle.caltech.edu[/url]

shemp
Title: inbred shit-for-brains

Post by shemp »

"It's just dumb to believe that everything came from one kind of bang or fish or something," said Katy Carlson, 13, one of the youngest on the dig.
Oh, to be young again and know everything!
Her companions included a 74-year-old Californian woman who spends two weeks digging for dinosaurs every year, the mother of three teenagers who brought them there "as a Christmas present" and a group of Christian children from Wisconsin.
Yeah, nice fucking Xmas present Mom! Thanks for taking us out to dig for bones in the middle of fucking nowhere!
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

"what dicking deep shit i produce" -- pillory

Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom from choice
Is what you want

Quester_X

Post by Quester_X »

"It's just dumb to believe that everything came from one kind of bang or fish or something," said Katy Carlson, 13, one of the youngest on the dig.
Pathetic. This child cannot even describe the theory of evolution, but is already dismissing it. I only hope that wisdom will follow age, but I wouldn't bet on it.
We're doomed. A bunch of amateur paleontologists digging up priceless and irreplaceable artifacts of history to prove to themselves the literal truth of Genesis.
This bothers me too. The damage these people are doing to valuable scientific discoveries cannot be reversed. They are destroying information in their blind quest for conformation that will never come. Sad, truely sad.
You'll all be mine, in the end.

LostAngeles

Post by LostAngeles »

I have to jump on the bandwagon with this one. That's frigging beautiful.
"Dinosaur fossils are not proof of evolution but rather extinction," a poster tells visitors to the museum
Well, that's not wrong, but it doesn't explain away evolution, dumbasses.
Evolution is "the dumbest and most dangerous idea in the history of humanity", said Kent Hovind, a vocal enthusiast for the cause who also runs the theme park in Florida. Explaining his Creationist creed, he said: "We think dinosaurs were part of the normal Creation and were just big lizards. Noah took some of them on the Ark, probably babies, when the floods came.
Well at the risk of being "racist". Pot. Kettle. Black, Monsieur Hovind.

"...from one kind of bang or fish..." HEE!

DaveH

Post by DaveH »

Isn't Hovind in jail yet? Wasn't he up for tax fraud recently?
Nunc Tutus Exitus Computarus

Mr.Weasel

Post by Mr.Weasel »

"the dumbest and most dangerous idea in the history of humanity",

I've always considered the idea that, "because those people over there have a different ancestry from mine, they are somehow less human and I am allowed to enslave, abuse, or kill them with impunity," was the dumbest and most dangerous idea in human history.

Rat

Post by Rat »

rwald wrote:
Abdul Alhazred wrote:I agree about the sheer fucking idiocy, but I'm less pessimistic
than you.

in the long run?

If they're willing to bend evidence that others provide to conform to their beliefs, what's to prevent them from physically altering the evidence in their own hands for the same reason? I can't see them not making these bones nearly useless for real scientists. That's what saddens me the most: priceless artifacts being destroyed.
Sorry to be picky (as if I'm not always), but if these are dinosaur bones, then they're not artefacts. Unless they're making them themselves, anyway, which wouldn't surprise me.

Cheers,
Rat.
"Man muß den Menschen vor allem nach seinen Lastern beurteilen. Tugenden können vorgetäuscht sein. Laster sind echt." - Klaus Kinski

UKLS 1988-?

rwald

Post by rwald »

Rat wrote:
rwald wrote:If they're willing to bend evidence that others provide to conform to their beliefs, what's to prevent them from physically altering the evidence in their own hands for the same reason? I can't see them not making these bones nearly useless for real scientists. That's what saddens me the most: priceless artifacts being destroyed.
Sorry to be picky (as if I'm not always), but if these are dinosaur bones, then they're not artefacts. Unless they're making them themselves, anyway, which wouldn't surprise me.

Cheers,
Rat.
Bleh. Be glad I haven't mixed up archeology and paleontology yet.
For the record, I don't actually know anything. Not even this.

Ever wondered what being a Caltech undergrad was like?
[url=http://caltizzle.caltech.edu]caltizzle.caltech.edu[/url]

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

rwald wrote:
Rat wrote:
rwald wrote:If they're willing to bend evidence that others provide to conform to their beliefs, what's to prevent them from physically altering the evidence in their own hands for the same reason? I can't see them not making these bones nearly useless for real scientists. That's what saddens me the most: priceless artifacts being destroyed.

Cheers,
Rat.
Bleh. Be glad I haven't mixed up archeology and paleontology yet.
Could be worse. Could be Ed Conrad: http://www.edconrad.com/

Nigel

Post by Nigel »

rwald wrote:
than you.

in the long run?

That's exactly why I say we're doomed. Even if they don't destroy the fossils in a physical sense, I'm afraid they'd propagandize the meaning behind them, twisting the evidence to suit their own purpose. Idiocy. Sheer idiocy.

Babylon Sister

Post by Babylon Sister »

Calling these people amateur paleontologists is like calling poachers amateur wildlife biologists.

Philip

Post by Philip »

Abdul Alhazred wrote:As long as they are preserving the artifacts, what's the harm
in the long run?
I'm not a paleontologist, but, from what I've read about digs, the excavation is supposed to be done very meticulously, recording the exact position of every bone, the geological strata, and the surroundings including tiny bones and fossils of plant matter. This is necessary for proper reconstruction of the skeleton and determination of such things as how the animal died, the presence of eggs or offspring, the age of the fossils, and the diet of the animal.

My guess is that these creationist bone-diggers haven't been on a dig with professional paleontologists and don't know or care about proper technique and preservation of information in the site, and even the bones themselves will never be turned over to real paleontologists.

Hell, the boneheads (pun intended) think their "evidence" supports the claim that the dinosaurs died in Noah's flood!

Hexxenhammer

Post by Hexxenhammer »

Phillip is pretty much correct. What they're going to end up with is some pretty bones with no corroborating data. But there's nothing to be done about it. Fossils found on private property are the landowners to do with as they please. If they want some creationist loony-tunes digging them up, that's their business.

On another note. These guys are fucking idiots. I've seen the guy in the story on local cable access here in the Twin Cities. If you go to his webpage he has a California and Minnesota contact. The moron doesn't even know when something isn't a dinosaur. His program showed a glyptodon (a mammal, big fucking armadillo) as a dinosaur. His webpage shows a basilosaurus as an aquatic dinosaur. This is bullshit for 2 reasons. First, there are no aquatic dinosaurs. Second, the Basilosaurus is a fucking WHALE!

Editted to add: Heres a link to his website's Manipogo page. This freak is big on dinosaurs not being extinct.

http://www.tccsa.tc/adventure/manipogo.html
"I'll have the roast duck with the mango salsa."

Doc Dish

Post by Doc Dish »

... Kent Hovind, ... said: "We think dinosaurs were part of the normal Creation and were just big lizards. Noah took some of them on the Ark, probably babies, when the floods came.
Where are they now, then? Have they evolved into something else? Birds, perhaps.

Of course, that doesn't explain how Dinosaurs are physiologically different from Lizards...
[i]Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate[/i]

Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Doc Dish wrote:
... Kent Hovind, ... said: "We think dinosaurs were part of the normal Creation and were just big lizards. Noah took some of them on the Ark, probably babies, when the floods came.
Where are they now, then? Have they evolved into something else? Birds, perhaps.

Of course, that doesn't explain how Dinosaurs are physiologically different from Lizards...
I like the wording, "probably babies", as if Noah could have taken full size dinosaurs on the Ark. :roll:

Even 30 years ago, when I was really into dinosaurs, there were dozens, if not hundreds, of known types. Knowledge about them really exploded in the late 70s and through the 80s, and I'd be surprised if there are not thousands of known species of dinosaurs.

Creationists just remind me of Duke's line in the movie MASH, when he talks about Frank Burns: "Everytime somebody croaks, he says it's God's will or somebody else's fault."

Segnosaur

Post by Segnosaur »

Nigel wrote:
Doc Dish wrote:

I like the wording, "probably babies", as if Noah could have taken full size dinosaurs on the Ark. :roll:
That brings up another problem... doesn't the bible mention 2 of every animal, one being the "mate" of the other? Babies don't have "mates".
Trust me, I know what I'm doing. - Sledgehammer

Quester_X

Post by Quester_X »

Editted to add: Heres a link to his website's Manipogo page. This freak is big on dinosaurs not being extinct.
We could get lucky. He could be eaten by a bear. Please, oh please...
You'll all be mine, in the end.