Perseverance Perseverance Perseverance

We are the Borg.
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Perseverance Perseverance Perseverance

Post by Rob Lister »

Perseverance

Nasa is streaming now. Perseverance will land (or crash) at 2:15 EST.

To learn how incredible[ly] complicated it is, I bring you this.

The stream is here
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Re: Perseverance Perseverance Perseverance

Post by Pyrrho »

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

I'm liking the Clean Feed I posted above. Pure engineering jargon and no color commentary.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

1 minute from now but 11 minutes ago
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

very cool
Dare Mighty Things
I look forward to the video
Last edited by Rob Lister on Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Chute deploy confirmed, heat shield separated, awesome.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Landing confirmed. Man this makes my week.
shemp
Title: inbred shit-for-brains

Post by shemp »

YAY!!!
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

"what dicking deep shit i produce" -- pillory

Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom from choice
Is what you want

People are shitting themselves to death
Crap so much they fail to take a breath
But even when their kids are starvin'
They thought Trump would throw them Charmin.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

The timing was a bit inconvenient for where I live, but I did watch the recording of the stream later, skipping the duller bits.

Seems like everything went according to plan.

Also, if you just Google the word Perseverance it plays an animation of fireworks over your search results.

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
Witness

Post by Witness »

The "Space News" thread not good enough for you, Rob? :mrgreen:

Seconds before touching down:

https://twitter.com/NASAPersevere/statu ... 5227018240

Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter spotted Perseverance and its parachute:

[Typo corrected]
Last edited by Witness on Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

Witness wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:52 am The "Space News" thread not good enough for you, Rob? :mrgreen:
Perseverance is worthy of its own thread.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Ingenuity helicopter phones home from Mars

The Ingenuity helicopter, sidekick and traveling companion of NASA's Perseverance rover, has checked in with a good report and is "operating as expected," according to the agency.
If successful, Ingenuity will be the first helicopter to fly on another planet, leading to an "extraterrestrial Wright Brothers moment," said Thomas Zurbuchen, associate administrator of NASA's Science Mission Directorate.
The rover landed safely on the surface of Mars Thursday after launching from Earth on July 30. Perseverance has already sent back an impressive set of images to show that she's safe and ready to go through a "checkout" phase before starting her journey across the surface.

Now, the mission team has heard directly from the helicopter for the first time -- and it's good news.
Ingenuity is currently tucked up beneath the rover and attached to Perseverance's belly. The rover is about the size of an SUV, while the helicopter only weighs about 4 pounds.

The helicopter was able to phone home via the rover by sending data back through NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter, which acts as a communications relay between Mars and Earth and has been orbiting the red planet since 2006.
Ingenuity is comfortable where it is and isn't letting go of the rover anytime soon for a test flight. The helicopter will remain snug with the rover for 30 to 60 days.
"Ingenuity, the Mars Helicopter I carry, is working as expected. I'm currently charging it, but once I set it down, it'll rely solely on its solar panels. If it survives the brutally cold Martian nights, the team will attempt flight," read a tweet from the Perseverance Twitter account.
"There are two big-ticket items we are looking for in the data: the state of charge of Ingenuity's batteries as well as confirmation the base station is operating as designed, commanding heaters to turn off and on to keep the helicopter's electronics within an expected range," said Tim Canham, Ingenuity Mars Helicopter operations lead at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, in a statement.
"Both appear to be working great. With this positive report, we will move forward with (Saturday's) charge of the helicopter's batteries."
https://edition.cnn.com/2021/02/20/worl ... index.html
Witness

Post by Witness »

Witness

Post by Witness »

:figamagee:
Witness

Post by Witness »

There's also some sound coming. :)
Witness

Post by Witness »

There was a message in the parachute:

Witness

Post by Witness »

There are two microphones on Perseverance.

One was used for monitoring the descent and has produced some "ambiance sound" after landing:

The other one is not yet operational (from an interview of the designer):
What interests us is not so much to have the first sound of Mars, but to have all the sounds of the planet.

We open a measuring window into another world, it's a new science that begins.

What can we learn from Mars and the possibility that it has sheltered life by listening to the sound on its surface?

The microphone with three objectives. The first is to complement SuperCam in its mission to select samples to bring back to Earth.

In this case, the SuperCam's operation is to fire a laser, up to 7 meters away, to vaporize the rock and be able to analyze the color of the smoke. The microphone is used to hear the sound of the rock at that moment, which helps to determine, from a distance, its hardness and the type of mineral. We have a PhD student who for three years studied the sound of different rocks [he tells about his work on the CNRS site].

The second objective is to study the properties of the Martian atmosphere. The speed at which sound circulates when we fire a laser, the turbulence of the atmosphere, the wind speed. This time, it is not to look for life on Mars, but rather to study the planet to better compare it to Earth. Mars is a bit like our little sister, it bears witness to a number of processes that happened at the beginning of Earth's life. These data will be studied by my institute, Isaiah-Supaero, but also shared with a network of hundreds of scientists around the world.

Finally, once we installed the microphone on board Perseverance, the other teams came to see us to tell us that they would like us to record the sound of their instruments. If there's something wrong with it, you'll hear it very quickly. That's the third objective.

Do we already know if the sound on Mars has different properties?

Yes, because the Earth's atmosphere has a pressure of 1,000 millibars, whereas on Mars it is 6 millibars. It is as if you were 50 km above the Earth. So the Martian atmosphere is very thin, which makes sound propagates less well there, in the same way that there is no sound in an absolute vacuum.

It was therefore necessary to adapt the design of this microphone to the particular conditions of Mars?

Yes, we started from a commercially available microphone that you could order from an electronics supplier and we transformed it. For example, we had to change the tin solders, which make short-circuits when they are put under vacuum. For the connection with the SuperCam we used a cable that conducts current, but not heat, to adapt it to the temperatures on Mars. We also exposed the microphone to radiation and removed the parts that did not work. To validate its design, we also made recordings by placing our laser and microphone in Martian chambers [that simulate the conditions on the Red Planet], notably in Aarhus, Denmark.

Was it obvious to equip Perseverance with microphones?

No, it was a very complicated story. Until now, we didn't really have sound from Mars, only vibrations picked up by the Insight mission that had been transformed into sound. There have been attempts: a microphone crashed with the Mars Polar Lander probe in 1999, and another on the Phoenix probe was never turned on for fear it would cause a short circuit.

This time, NASA was very reluctant, considering that the scientific return would be insufficient. With Sylvestre Maurice [the French researcher who led the design of SuperCam, the tool to which the microphone belongs], we worked hard to convince them.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
https://www.francetvinfo.fr/sciences/ma ... 08091.html
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Witness

Post by Witness »

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Some new images

I don't think the rover has moved from where it landed yet.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
Witness

Post by Witness »

NASA’s latest Mars rover has the same processor as an iMac from 1998

NASA’s brand-new Perseverance rover is the most advanced machine that’s ever landed on Mars. But when it comes to rovers, “state of the art” is a subjective term. Perseverance is running on none other than a PowerPC 750, a single-core, 233MHz processor with just 6 million transistors that’s most famous for powering the original “Bondi blue” iMac from 1998. It’s the same type of processor that NASA already uses in its Curiosity rover.

That may seem like a waste to some. After all, even with the difficulty of buying computer parts these days, surely NASA could have found the budget for something like Intel’s $500 Core i9-10900K CPU (with 10 cores and a max clock speed of 5.3GHz) somewhere in the $2.7 billion cost of Perseverance. But as New Scientist explains, such an advanced chip is actually a detriment to the unique operating conditions of Mars.

That’s largely because Mars’ atmosphere offers far less protection from harmful radiation and charged particles than Earth’s atmosphere. A bad burst of radiation can badly wreck the sensitive electronics of a modern processor — and the more complex the chip, the more can go wrong. Plus, at 138 million miles away, it’s not like NASA can just swap out the processor if things go sideways. Because of those conditions, Perseverance actually features two computing modules: one is a backup just in case something goes wrong. (A third copy of the module is also on board for image analysis.)

To make the system even more durable, the PowerPC 750 chip in Perseverance is a little different than the one in the old iMacs. It’s technically a RAD750 chip, a special variant that’s hardened against radiation and costs upwards of $200,000. The chip is popular for spacecraft, too: in addition to Perseverance and Curiosity, it also powers the Fermi Space Telescope, the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter, the Deep Impact comet-hunting spacecraft, and the Kepler telescope, among others.

While the processor may be weak compared to a modern smartphone or gaming PC, NASA’s spec sheet for Perseverance notes that it’s far more powerful than earlier rovers like Spirit or Opportunity: its 200MHz clock speed is 10 times faster than those older rovers, and with 2GB of flash memory, it offers eight times the storage. (Rounding things out, Perseverance also has 256MB of RAM in case you were looking to build your own rover.)

But while the chip itself has been to Mars before, Perseverance features some new computer technology that’s debuting on the planet for the first time: Linux, which powers the Ingenuity helicopter that will attempt to fly autonomously on Mars as part of Perseverance’s mission.
https://www.theverge.com/tldr/2021/3/2/ ... -imac-1998
Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

Witness wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:14 am
Alien face @ 2:25

Could be Satan. Prove me wrong.
Yep, you totally outsmarted me ~ Wildcat.

:ball2:

I'm sure I came up with Twatter first. ~ Moi
I only steal from the rich. :BigGrin3: ~ Witness
Witness

Post by Witness »

Perseverance as seen by the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter.

No privacy anymore anywhere, even on Mars. :x