One of the last olympic games without genetic engineering?

We are the Borg.
Sorgoth

One of the last olympic games without genetic engineering?

Post by Sorgoth » Sun Jun 27, 2004 11:44 pm

Very interesting article...perhaps the reason I was very "Whoa" is because they got clear results from the experiments with mice...I'd be willing to be one of the guiney pigs...

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?chanID ... =1&catID=2
We modified it with a synthetic gene that would produce IGF-I only in skeletal muscle and began by trying it out in normal mice. After injecting this AAV-IGF-I combination into young mice, we saw that the muscles' overall size and the rate at which they grew were 15 to 30 percent greater than normal, even though the mice were sedentary. Further, when we injected the gene into the muscles of middle-aged mice and then allowed them to reach old age, their muscles did not get any weaker.
I definitely recommend reading the article...in ten years time, I'm willing to bet this is going to be big.

Ideas? Opinions? Does the idea of humans 'improving' themselves kind of creep you out, or do you think it is the dawn of a new golden age?

Somewhere in between?

SquishyDave

Post by SquishyDave » Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:42 am

I didn't read all of the article, I'll get to it later, but if I can get an injection so I keep my muscles fit right up until death, hell yeah sign me up. The abuse side of things is better for me than say nuclear science, if someone mistreats a nuke, they could kill me. That's bad. If someone mistreats this muscle grow formula, they screw their own body up, but no chance of killing me, so that's good. I really don't give a crap about athletes cheating, I want quality of life all the way, so if someone wants to grow huge muscles and screw themselves up just so they can run faster than some other guy, fine good luck to them. They'd better not stop me and my loved ones getting this extra quality of life though.

It won't be a golden age, but it will mean humans get to live a bit longer, and more importantly, better, which is what science should be doing anyway.
Squishy doesn't irritate the hell out of me. - [url=http://www.skepticalcommunity.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=10266]Quester_X[/url]
We tend to scoff at the beliefs of the ancients. But we can't scoff at them personally, to their faces, and this is what annoys me.

Abraxas

Post by Abraxas » Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:13 am

Scary stuff. I wrote a short story once (and surprisingly it came runner-up in the Queensland Young Writers Award...shocking for an award that seems focussed on wanky youth issue writing...) which was about a drug-taking Olympics, where pharamceutical companies competed using athletes. The 'Natural' Olympics were almost obsolete, and few watched it...much like the modern Paralympics.

It ended with a genetically enhanced competitor winning, to the chagrin of the druggies.

Abraxas
'There is a mask of theory over the face of nature,' William Whewell

SquishyDave

Post by SquishyDave » Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:35 am

Scary to you Abraxas :P :)

But I see this helping people to yet again improve the quality of their lives. Certain people are always gonna screw up their bodies to beat other people, this just helps them do it faster, that's all, there's already heaps of people screwed up from steriods, and sprinters are at risk of tearing muscles at every step. I just don't want to see this put on hold because a few competitive idiots want to abuse it. The benefits are too great.
Squishy doesn't irritate the hell out of me. - [url=http://www.skepticalcommunity.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=10266]Quester_X[/url]
We tend to scoff at the beliefs of the ancients. But we can't scoff at them personally, to their faces, and this is what annoys me.

Abraxas

Post by Abraxas » Thu Jul 01, 2004 1:14 pm

SquishyDave wrote:Scary to you Abraxas :P :)

But I see this helping people to yet again improve the quality of their lives. Certain people are always gonna screw up their bodies to beat other people, this just helps them do it faster, that's all, there's already heaps of people screwed up from steriods, and sprinters are at risk of tearing muscles at every step. I just don't want to see this put on hold because a few competitive idiots want to abuse it. The benefits are too great.
Actually, I agree with you. I think it is scary that people would want to manipulate their bodies for such brief advantages. And while the technology might not ever be used for such advantages, the fact that people exist who would pursue it in spite of the consequences says a lot.

It my story, I had three categories of drug -- class A which killed you after five years (you basically tore your body up), but made you run the fastest. Class B simply made you a cripple, and class C was the weakest of them all, but still had negative consequences. In the back of my mind, I couldn't help think that there are people who would in reality take the fictitious class A drugs for short-term glory.

Then again, ethics are relatively short term things too. Maybe genetically enhanced sports stars would be acceptable in a century or two.

Abraxas
'There is a mask of theory over the face of nature,' William Whewell

Sorgoth

Post by Sorgoth » Thu Jul 01, 2004 3:40 pm

I'd definitely sign up... It would, quite simply, be spiffy-cool.

noc

Post by noc » Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:46 am

Could lead to bad things happening over time - Google for IGF-I and cancer.

OK for correcting genetic faults - not so spiffy when you throw other systems out of whack.

Bit like pulling bricks out of a wall at random blindfolded without knowing how big thw wall is or what its holding up.
noc: nobody of consequence

SquishyDave

Post by SquishyDave » Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:48 am

Abraxas wrote: Actually, I agree with you. I think it is scary that people would want to manipulate their bodies for such brief advantages. And while the technology might not ever be used for such advantages, the fact that people exist who would pursue it in spite of the consequences says a lot.

It my story, I had three categories of drug -- class A which killed you after five years (you basically tore your body up), but made you run the fastest. Class B simply made you a cripple, and class C was the weakest of them all, but still had negative consequences. In the back of my mind, I couldn't help think that there are people who would in reality take the fictitious class A drugs for short-term glory.

Then again, ethics are relatively short term things too. Maybe genetically enhanced sports stars would be acceptable in a century or two.

Abraxas
Well we are in agreement, I too think there are some people who would be willing to die in a few years if only they could win NOW. But that's their lookout.

noc Sure that's true for now, but soon enough we will know what that wall is doing, this is just one more step on the way.