On the way to Pluto at last!

We are the Borg.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:02 pm

Let me know when we have 17 days . . . 17 DAYS! . . . because I, for one, need to be hopping mad. . . .

:HoppingMad: :HoppingMad2: :HoppingMad: :HoppingMad2:

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:06 pm

:HoppingMad: :HoppingMad2: :HoppingMad: :HoppingMad2: :HoppingMad: :HoppingMad2: :HoppingMad: :HoppingMad2: :HoppingMad: :HoppingMad2:
:HoppingMad2: :HoppingMad: :HoppingMad2: :HoppingMad: :HoppingMad2: :HoppingMad: :HoppingMad2: :HoppingMad: :HoppingMad2: :HoppingMad:
:HoppingMad: :HoppingMad2: :HoppingMad: :HoppingMad2: :HoppingMad: :HoppingMad2: :HoppingMad: :HoppingMad2: :HoppingMad: :HoppingMad2:
:HoppingMad2: :HoppingMad: :HoppingMad2: :HoppingMad: :HoppingMad2: :HoppingMad: :HoppingMad2: :HoppingMad: :HoppingMad2: :HoppingMad:

Woa . . . dude!

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

swellman

Post by swellman » Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:41 am

Here is an unofficial continuous countdown clock for New Horizons. It makes a few simplifications, but what the hell.

swellman

Post by swellman » Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:31 am

Best dates I could find for NH (from Wikipedia, so take with a grain of salt):

9 June 2008 - The probe will pass Saturn's orbit.
5 March 2011 - The probe will pass Uranus' orbit.
1 August 2014 - The probe will pass Neptune's orbit.

There is a lot of conflicting information on mission "milestones" other than the Jupiter closest approach. Since such dates have really no bearing on the mission, NASA and the SMEs are't wasting their time publishing such things.

Taking the best info I could glean and updating the countdowns:

17 days :HoppingMad: to Martian orbit
343 days to closet approach to Jupiter
811 days to Saturn orbit
1810 days to Uranus orbit
3055 days to Neptune orbit
3401 days to Pluto encounter

Check back here soon for more :BeatDeadHorse2:

swellman

Post by swellman » Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:21 am

13 days to Martian orbit
339 days to closet approach to Jupiter
807 days to Saturn orbit
1806 days to Uranus orbit
3051 days to Neptune orbit
3397 days to Pluto encounter
4239 days until the 2006 SC Poker Challenge is completed :bigthumb:

DrMatt
BANNED

Post by DrMatt » Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:28 pm

swellman wrote:13 days to Martian orbit
807 days to Saturn orbit
I had no idea that Jupiter was in the closet. Myth has it that he made a lot of kids by raping random Mediterranian ladies, and certain ladies (Arachne, Io, etc.) got turned into animals (spider, cow) by goddesses protecting them from Jupiter's clutches. As far as I could tell, Jupiter never had any shame.
Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.

swellman

Post by swellman » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:19 pm

DrMatt wrote:
swellman wrote:13 days to Martian orbit
807 days to Saturn orbit
I had no idea that Jupiter was in the closet. Myth has it that he made a lot of kids by raping random Mediterranian ladies, and certain ladies (Arachne, Io, etc.) got turned into animals (spider, cow) by goddesses protecting them from Jupiter's clutches. As far as I could tell, Jupiter never had any shame.
Doc, no one likes a wiseass. Except me.

7 days to Martian orbit
333 days to closest approach to Jupiter
801 days to Saturn orbit
1800 days to yoUranus orbit
3045 days to Neptune orbit
3391 days to Pluto encounter

swellman

Hew Horizons Passes Martian Orbit

Post by swellman » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:17 am

1 down, 5 to go!

Image[/img]

327 days to Jupiter slingshot
795 days to Saturn orbit
1794 days to Uranus orbit
3039 days to Neptune orbit
3385 days to Pluto encounter

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Re: Hew Horizons Passes Martian Orbit

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:01 am

I just love this stuff. 8)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

swellman

More New Horizons Love

Post by swellman » Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:20 pm

From the New Horizons site

Passing the Orbit of Mars

New Horizons' trailblazing journey to the solar system's outermost frontier took it past the orbit of Mars at 6 a.m. EDT (1000 UTC) on April 7, 2006 - 78 days after the spacecraft launched.

At the time, because of Mars' position in its orbit, New Horizons was actually closer to Earth than to Mars - just 93.5 million kilometers (58.1 million miles) from home, compared to 299 million kilometers (186 million miles) from the red planet. Speeding away from the Sun at 21 kilometers (about 13 miles) per second, the spacecraft crossed Mars' path some 243 million kilometers (151 million miles) from the Sun - close to the farthest point in Mars' elliptical 687-day orbit.

Next up: Jupiter

New Horizons reaches its next planetary milestone on February 28, 2007, when it makes its closest approach to Jupiter. Unlike the distant Mars passing, the Jupiter encounter will be at close range, allowing New Horizons to make important scientific observations and to test procedures for its Pluto encounter in 2015. Additionally, New Horizons will use Jupiter's powerful gravity to boost its speed and adjust its course toward Pluto and the Kuiper Belt.

---break---

I've read that two of the instruments onboard NH have been left dormant until the spacecraft is distant from the sun in order to minimize accidental sun pointing. It will be a significant milestone for the project when these systems are up and running to spec.

They are also fixing some bugs in the on-board computer code. They launched the probe with several documented bugs in their software, but reasoned they had years to correct and test it on the ground during the mission. Then it's just a software upload. Ballsy move. I cannot see the NASA of old ever going with such a strategy.

DrMatt
BANNED

Re: More New Horizons Love

Post by DrMatt » Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:19 am

swellman wrote:Ballsy move. I cannot see the NASA of old ever going with such a strategy.
I can't see the NASA of old outsourcing software to Bill.

When our overlords from Pluto arrive, we'll have Plutocracy.

Wait.

We already have that.

Never mind.
Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.

swellman

Re: More New Horizons Love

Post by swellman » Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:49 pm

DrMatt wrote: I can't see the NASA of old outsourcing software to Bill.
:? Microsoft wrote the software for New Horizons?

Or am I just dense this morning? (Very likely)

swellman

New Horizons takes its game to the next level

Post by swellman » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:01 pm

Distances now expressed in AU.

Very geeky, very exciting!

320 days to Jupiter slingshot
788 days to Saturn orbit
1787 days to Uranus orbit
3032 days to Neptune orbit
3378 days to Pluto encounter

swellman

NH Passes Another Meaningless Milestone

Post by swellman » Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:09 am

On a project like this, one must take things a day at a time.

From the New Horizons Website:

"On a voyage to Pluto that will take nearly a decade, 100 days might not seem like much," says Alan Stern, mission principal investigator from the Southwest Research Institute in Boulder, Colo. "But the team has accomplished a lot in that short time, and the mission is going exceptionally well. Now we're working hard to calibrate the scientific payload and prepare the science instruments and spacecraft for our encounter with Jupiter, just 10 months ahead."

swellman

Moving right along

Post by swellman » Fri May 26, 2006 12:13 am

I am still facinated by this goddam thing. Maybe it's because as a kid such missions took a sizeable percentage of my lifetime to execute.

Anyway, latest position:

Image[/img]

Current predicted dates of outer planet orbit encounters:

Jupiter: February 28, 2007 (279 days)
Saturn: June 8, 2008 (745 days)
Uranus: March 18, 2011 (1,758 days)
Neptune: August 24, 2014 (3,013 days)
Pluto: July 14, 2015 (3,337 days)

Abdul Alhazred

Re: Moving right along

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri May 26, 2006 3:31 am

Thanks again.

Also gives some comprehension of the relative distances.

Abdul Alhazred

Update: New Horizons Crosses The Asteroid Belt

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:51 pm

From Space Daily

New Horizons Crosses The Asteroid Belt

Here's a bit I particularly like:

In addition, the spacecraft itself received a new suite of onboard fault-protection autonomy software, resolving a number of needed bug fixes discovered in ground and flight testing.

We continue to see software-induced guidance computer resets once or twice per month on average, but the spacecraft recovers flawlessly from these, without any interruption to plans. New software for this computer is in the works and will resolve the bug that causes this; we expect to have it tested and aboard the spacecraft around Oct. 1.

swellman

Post by swellman » Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:19 pm

The current image of NH's flight path now includes the orbits of Mars and Jupiter. It has covered about 20% of the distance between the two. The graphic doesn't indicate the asteroid belt, but as Abdul points out, it's entering the area at 28 km/s. Fun!

DrMatt
BANNED

Post by DrMatt » Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:44 pm

The curvature in the path prior to the encounter with Jupiter. Is that primarly due to the sun?

DrMatt
BANNED

Post by DrMatt » Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:48 pm

The curvature in the path prior to the encounter with Jupiter. Is that primarly due to the sun?

When the thing finally gets into position around Pluto, it's going to have to be quite autonomous, eh? A software upload takes ... how long, exactly, to cross the space?