Fake News

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Nyarlathotep

Fake News

Post by Nyarlathotep » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:55 am

No, not Fox News.

I don't know if its just me, but I have seen in the last few months a proliferation of parody news websites. And as a result, I have seen a proliferation of people, even people that I think would know better, posting something that they saw on one of these parody news sites and waxing apoplectic about it. Usually when it confirms one of their biases.

Case in point. I saw this story posted no fewer than three times on Facebook today, each time by someone that I figured ought to be bright enough to spend a minute or two checking the story out, rather than just reading the headline, deciding that it went along with what they already though and getting upset.

Ted Cruz’s Father Suggests Placing Atheists in ‘Camps’

It takes about 5 seconds to locate the 'About Us' link, click on it and find that they are a satire site. One that apparently mixes real facts in with fake ones, but satire nonetheless. They even have a button to show which parts of the story are true. Surprise, the part about concentration camps for atheists wasn't among the real facts. Not one of the three people (and very damned few of the people who commented on this link on Facebook) bothered to do either of those things.

And it's not just this website. It seems a day doesn't go by that I don't see someone passing on a link from The Daily Currant along as a fact. And there are many many more

Are people just getting lazier or is it just that the increase in the number of these sites (which I would guess is because the popularity of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report has led every wannabe comedian with HTML skills to try to jump on the fake news bandwagon) has made vetting parody news from real news harder than just seeing whether or not it is from The Onion.

Mostly just venting because if I see one more person post a link to a parody news site as fact, I am going to go berserk.
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

Anaxagoras

Re: Fake News

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:17 am

Nyarlathotep wrote:Are people just getting lazier or is it just that the increase in the number of these sites (which I would guess is because the popularity of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report has led every wannabe comedian with HTML skills to try to jump on the fake news bandwagon) has made vetting parody news from real news harder than just seeing whether or not it is from The Onion.

Mostly just venting because if I see one more person post a link to a parody news site as fact, I am going to go berserk.
I think they do it on purpose for exactly that reason. They want people to be fooled into thinking it's real and then go post it on Facebook or Twitter, thus driving more traffic to their site.

I know sometimes people have been fooled by The Onion, but that's rare. You have to be really gullible to believe an Onion story.
These other ones have juuust enough plausibility that you might be fooled if you're not careful. Sometimes the giveaway will be a few paragraphs into it.

It's happened a few times at TOP, supposedly a site for skeptics. Often a knee-jerk liberal like JJ posting about the latest outrageous thing that Ann Coulter or Sarah Palin supposedly said.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:29 am

RETRACT THAT!

--j. "Yip!" d.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

gnome

Post by gnome » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:42 am

The interesting thing is, how many times has anyone been fooled watching the Daily Show into thinking that a satire portion was straight reporting? Quite artfully done, considering they drift back and forth between real commentary and parody commentary so quickly.

But I think you're right, the ones that fool people are basically news trolls. It's funny until it becomes part of what "everyone knows".
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Carl Kolchak
Title: Reporter

Post by Carl Kolchak » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:07 pm

Nobody covers the REAL stories!

Witness

Post by Witness » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:12 am

Old article (2012) but it seems he's still active:
Twitter hoaxer comes clean and says: I did it to expose weak media

Tommaso De Benedetti faked the identities of world leaders and fooled editors into publishing false stories

First it was the death of the pope – tweeted to the world from an account that belonged to the holy father's number two. Later came tweets announcing the deaths of Fidel Castro and Pedro Almodóvar.

The tweets flew around the rumour mill of social media. All, however, were hoaxes, the work of Tommaso De Benedetti, one of the world's most creative and successful fake tweeters.

"Twitter works well for deaths," said De Benedetti, speaking for the first time about his desire to expose how unreliable social media can be as a news source.

A Rome schoolteacher, who showed up for an interview with the Guardian pushing his two-year-old son in a pram, De Benedetti, 43, defines himself as a "normal person". But in the Twittersphere he has recently played the parts of Afghan president Hamid Karzai, a Spanish minister and Syrian president Bashar al-Assad.

"Social media is the most unverifiable information source in the world but the news media believes it because of its need for speed," he said. False tweeting is a growth industry, and despite Twitter's placing of a blue tick on the verified accounts of the famous, users continue to trip up. In January even Twitter was fooled into briefly verifying tweets purporting to be by Wendy Deng, Rupert Murdoch's wife, in which she flirted with comic Ricky Gervais.
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... -benedetti

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:15 am

Interesting.

Nyar used the cliche term "Fake News", three years prematurely.

Maybe he's a time traveler and slipped up that one time. :o
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:55 am

The term existed then. It just hadn't become Trump's (or any other politician's) catchphrase.

Besides, all the time travel has been re-routed to next Tuesday.
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

gnome

Post by gnome » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:21 pm

God dammit! I thought it was LAST Tuesday.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:49 pm

That was Fake News.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

corplinx
Title: Moderator

Post by corplinx » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:48 pm

r/atetheonion

corplinx
Title: Moderator

Post by corplinx » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:24 pm

Why go to satire sites for FakeNews when you have CNN? Seriously. People circling the wagons around the washinton press corp for 2 years of outright yellow journalism is probably part of why anything shared on social media seems legit. Because we've lowered the standards so much.