Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Anaxagoras

Re: Brexit

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:07 pm

Giz wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:43 pm
Anaxagoras wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:05 am
"The devil is in the details" as they say. The Irish border really is a bit of a conundrum. If it's not a "hard border" then in effect, anyone in the EU can just walk into the UK without a passport and also goods could potentially cross the border without passing through customs. But I keep hearing that nobody wants a "hard border" on either side, so I'm not quite sure why it is a sticking point. Unless somebody actually does want one.
As far as I recall, Ireland has not been in the schengen zone, which means there have been passport checks for EU visitors (other than the U.K.)
So they would have to show a passport to get into Ireland from other parts of the EU, but not to pass the border from Ireland to Northern Ireland, right? Or, for that matter, from Northern Ireland to the rest of the UK. Correct me if I'm wrong. I've only started to learn about this recently due to Brexit as a curious observer from afar.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Giz

Post by Giz » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:19 pm

That is correct. Effectively, Ireland and the UK have been in their own mini-schengen passport free zone.

Of course, if the UK brexits... who knows?

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:48 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:57 pm
I mean, if the UK is going to be "a nation once again", why not Ireland? ;)
What makes you think Ireland wants that mess?
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:38 pm

:p

Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:26 am

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:22 am

:mrgreen:

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:36 am

I thought that might be a joke, but it looks like they really made it into a TV show.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Witness

Post by Witness » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:48 am

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:09 am

Witness wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:22 am

Staring Benedict Cumberbatch!!!

They picked a good actor to do the main roll...
I hope it is as good as its trailer...
Then Skank Of America could start in...

Witness

Post by Witness » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:09 am

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:26 am

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:19 pm

gnome

Post by gnome » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:31 pm

Brexexit?
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:27 am

Back to boiled mutton & mint sauce:
British curry industry ‘dying’ because of Brexit and staff shortages, leading restaurateurs warn

The fall in the value of sterling since Britain voted to leave the European Union has drastically increased the costs of running curry houses across the country, with some restaurants claiming business is down 75 per cent since 2016, dealing a major body blow to the £4bn industry.

The Bangladesh Caterers Association (BCA), which represents 12,000 British-Bangladeshi restaurants and takeaways across the country, expressed their concerns that the detrimental impact of Brexit, which the group backed, was a major worry.

Mujibur Rahman Junue, deputy secretary of the BCA, told The Independent: “The prices of ingredients have gone up but we can survive with increased prices if we have staff. Our main concern is not having staff available.”

Current rules state that to bring a chef from south Asia, an employer must provide a salary of £30,000 to secure a visa, a figure that is far higher than the average curry house chef’s pay.

Mr Junue continued: “At the moment the industry is dying due to staff shortages. The next generation are not coming into this business, so if we do not get skilled workers from abroad you will not see Indian restaurants on the UK streets. We can’t get staff from the UK because people just don’t want to do it.”

He said a 2013 scheme to train homegrown chefs barely had any applicants, forcing the plans to be halted.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... reddit.com

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:34 am

Curry? Where in the EU is it from?

I do not believe this story.

gnome

Post by gnome » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:41 am

So Rowan Atkinson was wrong...
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:24 pm

It's a derangement syndrome.

Without definitively claiming Brexit is good, I assert that not everything bad or unusual in the UK is caused by it.

As it might be climate change, Trump being president, infidels occupying Palestine, or what have you.

Giz

Post by Giz » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:34 pm

But it’s always the Russians.

The same side that has spent decades saying that McCarthyism was a hysterical overreaction now see reds under every bed.

Notes:
- Russia is trying to cause problems
- it’s arguably less of a threat than in the old Cold War , which makes today’s reaction look like hypocritical hysteria

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:51 pm

Witness wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:27 am
Back to boiled mutton & mint sauce:
Current rules state that to bring a chef from south Asia, an employer must provide a salary of £30,000 to secure a visa, a figure that is far higher than the average curry house chef’s pay.

Mr Junue continued: “At the moment the industry is dying due to staff shortages. The next generation are not coming into this business, so if we do not get skilled workers from abroad you will not see Indian restaurants on the UK streets. We can’t get staff from the UK because people just don’t want to do it.”
How is it skilled labor if they can't pay them skilled labor prices?
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:54 am

WildCat wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:51 pm
How is it skilled labor if they can't pay them skilled labor prices?
Ungrateful bastards don't flock to the UK to get the same wages they can have at home?!? :x

EU nationals deride 'cheery' Home Office UK settlement video

EU nationals and remain campaigners have reacted with anger to a Home Office video outlining the application process for EU citizens who want to continue living in the country after 31 December 2020.

Criticism focused on the upbeat tone of the video, which features “cheery” music and pictures of smiling people, and details the EU settlement scheme.

The scheme, which is being tested and will be operational by 30 March, will check the identity, UK residence status and criminal record of all EU citizens living in the UK.

The video also outlines application fees for the process, which will cost £65 for an adult and £32.50 for children under 16, though will be free for those who already have a permanent residence card or indefinite leave to remain.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ment-video

They don't like cheesy cheery music. :roll:

The incriminated vid is presumably this one: