Brexit

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Witness

Re: Brexit

Post by Witness » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:35 am

Update:
Brexit: Seaborne Freight no-deal ferry contract scrapped

The government has axed its no-deal Brexit contract with a ferry company which had no ships, after the Irish company backing the deal pulled out.

Transport Secretary Chris Grayling had faced criticism for the £13.8m deal with Seaborne Freight, which the BBC found had never run a ferry service.

The government said it is in "advanced talks" to find another ferry firm.

But local MP Craig Mackinlay said this could be the "last throw of the dice" for commercial shipping from Ramsgate.

Meanwhile, Labour has called on Mr Grayling to resign or be sacked, describing him as "the worst secretary of state ever".

Seaborne Freight was awarded the £13.8m contract in December to run a freight service between Ramsgate and Ostend, Belgium, in the event that Britain leaves the EU without a deal.

The government was criticised for choosing Seaborne Freight, a company with no ships or trading history, and for leaving too little time to establish the new ferry service before the Brexit deadline of 29 March.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-47182361

asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:44 am

*SIGH*

What a massive clusterfuck.

All my food cupboards are full. Time to fill the cellar with whisky, tobacco and Kalashnikovs...
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:49 am

Sounds a bit like "The South Sea Company" (officially The Governor and Company of the merchants of Great Britain, trading to the South Seas and other parts of America, and for the encouragement of fishing)[3] was a British joint-stock company founded in 1711, created as a public-private partnership to consolidate and reduce the cost of national debt.
In Great Britain, a considerable number of people were ruined by the share collapse, and the national economy greatly reduced as a result. The founders of the scheme engaged in insider trading, using their advance knowledge of when national debt was to be consolidated to make large profits from purchasing debt in advance. Huge bribes were given to politicians to support the Acts of Parliament necessary for the scheme.

But with out most of the...malfeasance...
:lol:
Then Skank Of America could start in...

Witness

Post by Witness » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:23 am

asthmatic camel wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:44 am
*SIGH*
Stiff upper lip and all that, AC! :mrgreen:

Meanwhile, welcome to the UK:
Heathrow stockpiling rubber gloves from EU for post-Brexit searches

London airport preparing for no deal by putting aside imported security materials
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... t-searches

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:13 pm

I get the feeling Brexit is just a pretext for searches they really wanted to do all along.

Just sayin' :)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:54 am

An interesting modest proposal:

:mrgreen:

(And AC could remain in the EU!)

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:05 am

Meanwhile, the Labour "Shadow Cabinet" is fighting over just how Anti-Semitic their party is.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!!

Witness

Post by Witness » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:50 am

EU, America and China will all get new medicines ahead of Britain after Brexit, drug company boss warns

David Meek, the CEO of Ipsen, warns Britain leaving the European Union has seen the country fall down the list of priorities
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 79321.html

Brexit goldmine
Thousands of jobs and many millions come our way

Cautious Dublin reaps benefits of Brexit exodus

Ireland’s gains could be greater but for its own scars from the last financial crisis
https://www.ft.com/content/c5d4b930-1d5 ... e4dbd3580d

As a dude commented on Reddit:
Supply chains are currently being changed. As an EU manufacturer, we're basically placed our last orders with UK suppliers (made a stock pile to last till summer) and are testing the first samples from our new suppliers in the EU and from Asia (were we know what tariffs and transit times are going to be for upcoming orders)
And there's no chance of us changing back to UK suppliers just because the UK decides to stay. The effort and resulting expense just isn't going to be worth it.
https://old.reddit.com/r/brexit/comment ... r_holland/

Full death spiral triggered? :mrgreen:

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:54 pm

I fail to see how not being in the EU means they can no longer trade with the EU.

The USA trades with the EU without being in it.

So does China.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:27 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:54 pm
I fail to see how not being in the EU means they can no longer trade with the EU.

The USA trades with the EU without being in it.

So does China.
Of course they will still trade with the EU. The question is, how much. Will things like tariffs and having to pass through customs checks change the amount. It's like the difference between New York State trading with Pennsylvania or New York State trading with Canada. In one case, trucks or trains or whatever just freely drive back and forth across the border and there are no taxes to pay or forms to fill out or checkpoints to pass through. No papers to present to a man in a uniform. In the other case, there are all those things.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Giz

Post by Giz » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:55 pm

However, the EU sells more to the UK than the UK sells to the EU... so the more hardball the EU play, the more they hurt themselves (especially french agriculture and german automotive sectors).

(Of course, they may play hardball anyway because ideology trumps economics)

Witness

Post by Witness » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:18 am

Porsche asks UK buyers to commit to 10% no-deal Brexit surcharge

Company says move is a precaution in case WTO tariffs apply to EU-UK trade
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... -surcharge