Impeach Trump, already!

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Re: Impeach Trump, already!

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:38 pm

No matter how wrong they are (and they are), how is it "treason"?
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

corplinx
Title: Moderator

Post by corplinx » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:48 pm

Trying to unseat the leader of the country through a malicious prosecution is treason to me.

Impeachment has very specific terms. If they are throwing those out the window to launch a bloodless coup, then I get to call it treason under the "using your own logic rule".

Bunch of Seditious retarded hicks amirite? Worse than the Bundy ranchers because they actually have power and media sponsorship.

Giz

Post by Giz » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:50 pm

Yeah, it isn’t treason.

What seems to be dying is the concept of the “loyal opposition “. i.e. you can have two parties that disagree but both acknowledge that they each want what is best for the country.

Historical note: iirc, This concept dates to the late 17th or early 18th century in Britain. Seems our concepts of governance (whether the above, or due process etc) are regressing to the pre-modern tribalism days.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:04 pm

The funny thing is that the Founding Fathers[Tm.--Ed.] tried to resist or deny the existence of parties--since why would anyone disagree with Washington and his people? I am looking at YOU Jefferson!--yet they divided into "parties." They also tried to suppress dissent: Alien and Sedition Act.

Though in Britain they also did not have fixed parties per se in that members "of the opposition" as we think of it would sometimes serve in the government. James Fox was such an example, and George III fought hard to prevent him ever becoming Prime Minister back when the monarch could still do that.

I do not know if it is apocryphal or not, but the "line" you see in the House of Commons room is set to divide members greater than two swords length. Though I do not think there have been acts of violence as seen in the House of Representatives.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:21 am

Doctor X wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:04 pm
The funny thing is that the Founding Fathers[Tm.--Ed.] tried to resist or deny the existence of parties--since why would anyone disagree with Washington and his people? I am looking at YOU Jefferson!--yet they divided into "parties." They also tried to suppress dissent: Alien and Sedition Act.
I've heard that too. I think in any democracy, parties will inevitably form. If not parties, factions, which are similar, but not as formalized as a party. In Japanese politics, there are factions within the parties. American politics too, if you think about it. Sometimes they overlap. You have things like "The Freedom Caucus" in the Republican party and "The Progressive Caucus" in the Democratic party.

I don't like partisanship myself. I think it has negative effects. At the same time, it seems to be unavoidable. Democracy probably cannot function without it. At least, I have yet to see any working example.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:29 am

I agree, and the problem with "partisanship" is it becomes like "Sports Fans" where the goal is "winning" and making "the others lose" rather than getting anything done. That is a plague on both houses in our case.

When a party gets a majority, as you have seen, the Nuts come out. That applies to both the Democrats and Republicans. The Whatever Communist-Ortez would receive about less than three minutes of attention if her party was in minority and she was not "¡muy caliente!" Same with the Tea Party in the Obama years.

I suspect that the reason the Schumers and others "I Supported a Wall . . . before I Opposed it" oppose Trump's border policies SIMPLY to prevent him getting a "win." They do not want him able to scream on a campaign that "I built the Wall!" A wall will decrease illegal immigration--significantly or not or "the Bad Guys" is immaterial to politics--so that is a "win" for Trump.

Cannot have that.

Would be the same for Hillar Her Turn. If, for some reason, she advocated "The Wall"--"Gram's Mom will they break my balls?" [Stop it!--Ed.] Just comfortably numb--the Republicans would find some reason to oppose it. Or they would trot out The Children Harmed by The Wall.

The solution would be a Third Party if they were not Fucking Insane.

In the Rain.

On the plain.

In Schenectady.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:16 pm

But also it has gotten more partisan than it used to be.

It's a bit of a cliche, but Tip O'Neil and Ronald Reagan could work together. They found areas of common ground, or at least areas where they could compromise with each other. There also used to liberal republicans and conservative democrats. Very few of either anymore.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

gnome

Post by gnome » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:49 pm

Apparently the "blue dog" democrat caucus has increased in size with the most recent election... so maybe that counts?
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:09 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:16 pm
But also it has gotten more partisan than it used to be.

It's a bit of a cliche, but Tip O'Neil and Ronald Reagan could work together. They found areas of common ground, or at least areas where they could compromise with each other. There also used to liberal republicans and conservative democrats. Very few of either anymore.
That could also be a matter of public outcries, or lack there of. Reagan and O'Neil could work together without 10 Twitter outrage storms a minute followed by CNN breaking news ice-cream scoop controversy.

gnome

Post by gnome » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:37 pm

I think you're on to something there. Maybe the best deals start out of the public eye. Trying to hash out a compromise on the open floor is just derailed by grandstanding on both sides usually.

It's interesting to think about how to support this process and still be a transparency advocate. Maybe the difference is between starting in the back room and then bringing it into the open for formal encoding, as opposed to starting and finishing in back rooms.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:31 pm

Meanwhile, Trump made a really stupid boring speech -- and that's a good thing. :)

Luckily, Trump's Border Speech Was a Big Nothingburger
Reason
Perhaps the most bizarre part of last night's widely televised presidential address is how surface-normal it all seemed. Sure, President Donald Trump spouted off a dizzying array of incorrect statistics and outright lies about illegal immigration and the situation on America's southern border. But he failed to let loose any of the fascist-leaning orders many were predicting after his administration started throwing the words "national emergency" around.

Meanwhile CNN was all geared up to do some denunciatory play-by-play.

Good old Trump. N-dimensional Candyland in Hilbert space every time. :cowbell:

shuize

Post by shuize » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:35 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:31 pm
Meanwhile CNN was all geared up to do some denunciatory play-by-play.

Good old Trump. N-dimensional Candyland in Hilbert space every time. :cowbell:

This guy says CBS "fact checked" Trump for underestimating the number of sexual assaults on female migrants then cut it from their story presumably because the higher number helped Trump's argument.

CBS decided to help Democrats by fact-checking in real time President Trump's address on the need for a wall.

CBS reported, "Fact check: Number of women sexually assaulted on trip to border.

"CLAIM: The president claimed one in three women have been sexually assaulted traveling to the border.

"FACT CHECK: Between 60 percent and 80 percent of female migrants traveling through Mexico are raped along the way, Amnesty International estimates."

https://donsurber.blogspot.com/2019/01/ ... nsues.html

ETA: It looks like he's right.

The "fact check" about sexual assaults on migrant women was in the Jan. 8, 9:23pm version, but not in the Jan. 9, 2:57pm version.

https://web.archive.org/web/20190109022 ... own-today/

https://www.cbsnews.com/live-news/trump ... own-today/

xouper

Post by xouper » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:22 am

Seen on twitter:
Josh Charles
‏Verified account @MrJoshCharles

I’m so sick of this mothefucker. Just so sick. This needs to end. Fuck him and every single person who continues to support him and his dangerous administration.

7:24 AM - 10 Jan 2019
Thanks for telling me how you feel about me.

Allow me the courtesy of reciprocating: Fuck you too, Josh Charles, whoever the fuck you are.

There. Now we're even.

I've also removed you from my Christmas Card list, Josh Charles, whoever the fuck you are. Feel free to do likewise.

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:44 am

This is what I mean. What is the fucking problem Josh????
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:19 am

ed wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:44 am
It was Her Turn ed.
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

xouper

Post by xouper » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:32 am

ed wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:44 am
Yeah, I couldn't decide which thread to put that in. So I flipped a coin and then said, no, I'll put it in the other thread.

It's one thing to hate Trump, for whatever reason, but to also hate me and half the population of the United States? I am as puzzled as you are. What brings certain people to this level of hatred?

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:16 am

xouper wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:32 am
What brings certain people to this level of hatred?
And Josh probably has a "Love Trumps Hate" sign on his lawn.
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:10 am

xouper wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:32 am
It's one thing to hate Trump, for whatever reason, but to also hate me and half the population of the United States?
Hating half the population of the United States came first. Trump merely provides focus.

I hate Trump. He supported Hillary for president in 2008 (what a racist), not to mention all those times for US senator. 8)

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:26 am

Witness

Post by Witness » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:05 am

There's something rotten… in the State? :mrgreen: