Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: The SJW war on us thread

Post by Doctor X » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:51 pm

Interesting:
The Nature of Sex
Andrew Sullivan

It might be a sign of the end-times, or simply a function of our currently scrambled politics, but earlier this week, four feminist activists — three from a self-described radical feminist organization Women’s Liberation Front — appeared on a panel at the Heritage Foundation. Together they argued that sex was fundamentally biological, and not socially constructed, and that there is a difference between women and trans women that needs to be respected. For this, they were given a rousing round of applause by the Trump supporters, religious-right members, natural law theorists, and conservative intellectuals who comprised much of the crowd.

["Snip!"--Ed.]

I’ve no doubt that many will see these women as anti-trans bigots, or appeasers of homophobes and transphobes, or simply deranged publicity seekers. (The moderator, Ryan Anderson, said they were speaking at Heritage because no similar liberal or leftist institution would give them space or time to make their case.) And it’s true that trans-exclusionary radical feminists or TERFs, as they are known, are one minority that is actively not tolerated by the LGBTQ establishment, and often demonized by the gay community. It’s also true that they can be inflammatory, offensive, and obsessive. But what interests me is their underlying argument, which deserves to be thought through, regardless of our political allegiances, sexual identities, or tribal attachments. Because it’s an argument that seems to me to contain a seed of truth. Hence, I suspect, the intensity of the urge to suppress it.

["Snip!"--Ed.]

The TERF argument is that viewing “gender identity” as interchangeable with sex, and abolishing clear biological distinctions between men and women, is actually a threat to lesbian identity and even existence — because it calls into question who is actually a woman, and includes in that category human beings who have been or are biologically male, and remain attracted to women. How can lesbianism be redefined as having sex with someone who has a penis, they argue, without undermining the concept of lesbianism as a whole? “Lesbians are female homosexuals, women who love women,” one of the speakers, Julia Beck, wrote last December, “but our spaces, resources and communities are on the verge of extinction.”

If this sounds like a massive overreach, consider the fact that the proposed Equality Act — with 201 co-sponsors in the last Congress — isn’t simply a ban on discriminating against trans people in employment, housing, and public accommodations (an idea with a lot of support in the American public). It includes and rests upon a critical redefinition of what is known as “sex.” We usually think of this as simply male or female, on biological grounds (as opposed to a more cultural notion of gender). But the Equality Act would define “sex” as including “gender identity,” and defines “gender identity” thus: “gender-related identity, appearance, mannerisms, or characteristics, regardless of the individual’s designated sex at birth.”

What the radical feminists are arguing is that the act doesn’t only blur the distinction between men and women (thereby minimizing what they see as the oppression of patriarchy and misogyny), but that its definition of gender identity must rely on stereotypical ideas of what gender expression means. What, after all, is a “gender-related characteristic”? It implies that a tomboy who loves sports is not a girl interested in stereotypically boyish things, but possibly a boy trapped in a female body. And a boy with a penchant for Barbies and Kens is possibly a trans girl — because, according to stereotypes, he’s behaving as a girl would. So instead of enlarging our understanding of gender expression — and allowing maximal freedom and variety within both sexes — the concept of “gender identity” actually narrows it, in more traditional and even regressive ways. What does “gender-related mannerisms” mean, if not stereotypes? It’s no accident that some of the most homophobic societies, like Iran, for example, are big proponents of sex-reassignment surgery for gender-nonconforming kids and adults (the government even pays for it) while being homosexual warrants the death penalty. Assuming that a non-stereotypical kid is trans rather than gay is, in fact, dangerously close to this worldview. (Some might even see a premature decision to change a child’s body from one sex to another as a form of conversion therapy to “fix” his or her gayness. This doesn’t mean that trans people shouldn’t have the right to reaffirm their gender by changing their bodies, which relieves a huge amount of pressure for many and saves lives. But that process should entail a great deal of caution and discernment.)

City of Choking, Loser Baseball Magazine
--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!!

xouper

Post by xouper » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:39 pm

If you are Patriots fan, then you are a racist, according to Corbin Smith:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/tom-brady ... -it-or-not

What a load of bullsh used bovine food.

Anecdotal counter-example: Doctor X.

Full disclosure: I will be disappointed if Tom Brady does not get another super bowl ring.

Witness

Post by Witness » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:16 am

'MeToo' backlash as ex-French MP takes six women who accused him of harassment to court in defamation lawsuit after police probe into his behaviour ended without charges
  • Denis Baupin, 56, was accused of groping, sexting and harassment by 14 women
  • Former French MP was forced to resign as vice president of lower house in 2016
  • Nine-month investigation into Baupin's behaviour ended without any charges
  • But prosecutors say that the three-year statute of limitations had expired
[snip]

Prosecutors said the three-year statute of limitations had expired, but released a statement saying the women's 'measured, constant statements' and witness corroboration created a set of facts to support allegations of actions that 'may for some of them be classified as criminal.'

As a defence for defamation under French law, journalists and individuals need to show they acted in good faith or prove they told the truth. A conviction is punishable by a maximum fine of 45,000 euros (£39,000).
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... court.html

We'll see.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:29 am

As a defence for defamation under French law, journalists and individuals need to show they acted in good faith or prove they told the truth.
How does one "show they acted in good faith or prove they told the truth"?

Basically the burden of proof here is on the person accused of defamation.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:17 pm

xouper wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:39 pm

From the article:
Their star quarterback, coach, and owner all supported Trump. But that’s not the only thing that makes the Super Bowl LIII-bound Patriots the preferred team of white nationalists.

...WE’RE STILL HERE! WE’RE STILL HERE! Obviously, Brady is referring to his aging, decrepit, cheating-ass squad’s progression to the big game. But, imagine you didn’t know anything about football, or who Tom Brady was, or anything like that. You would think that you were watching some square-jawed grifter throwing red meat to the hogs at an alt-right rally, screaming at the libs who thought Nancy Pelosi and her gender warriors were gonna keep DECENT AMERICAN FOLKS from BEING HERE.

Of course, even if you do know stuff about Brady you may still think he’s on his way to pursuing this line of grifting. He flashed a red MAGA hat, an accoutrement that is gaining more and more traction as a symbol of white nationalism in America, in his locker back in the primary days.

...The whole institution of Boston sports, from root to stem, is tinged with the sort of racism that brought Trump into office.

...Look, it doesn’t matter if the Patriots like it or not, they are the official team of American White Nationalism, the MAGA Boys On the Field.

...When you root for the Patriots, you are associating yourself with a virulent and revolting strain of politics that seeks to Make America Great Again—which is to say, white, European, English-speaking.
I always suspected shemp was a KKK-supporting neo-Nazi, now we have proof!
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:35 pm

Well, to be fair, they only like
ImageImage
receivers.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

shuize

Post by shuize » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:44 pm

xouper wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:39 pm

What a load of bullsh used bovine food.

Anecdotal counter-example: Doctor X.

Full disclosure: I will be disappointed if Tom Brady does not get another super bowl ring.
Those bastard SJWs made me root for the Patriots.
Last edited by shuize on Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:22 pm

And you think SJW have no constructive influence!

--J.D.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:47 pm

I don't watch much football but I watched this game. Wow, what defense from both sides. The refs did a great job; not a single call worth refuting. Is that a record of some kind?

Witness

Post by Witness » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:06 am

Something I dredged up on reddit:
Social Justice Training for faculty at my college today.

The concept of "circular thinker" (pt. 22) was new to me. :mrgreen:

xouper

Post by xouper » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:13 am

Witness wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:06 am
Something I dredged up on reddit:
Social Justice Training for faculty at my college today.

The concept of "circular thinker" (pt. 22) was new to me. :mrgreen:
Seems they omitted an important one:

#24. IQ
Privileged group: Smart people
Marginalized Group: Stupid people

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:14 am

Being "creative" means that you are marginalized.
William Shakespeare

shuize

Post by shuize » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:32 pm

"Marginalilzed" how?

I'm willing to accept specific claims of discrimination when there is evidence to back them up.

But blanket "all these people are 'marginalized' because shut up" talk is stupid and devisive.

Witness

Post by Witness » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:46 pm

The racist language of space exploration

The language of colonialism is infecting outer space, thanks to dominance by rich white businessmen and politicians.

[snip]

“You could argue that the effort to colonize space is likely to involve new forms of inequality: shifts in tax revenues and administrative priorities devoted to that,” said Michael Ralph, a professor of anthropology at NYU. “As opposed to [supporting] other social institutions that benefit people like health care, education, infrastructure.”

Earning money in space is an exciting prospect for a far-right, pro-business, anti-regulation politician like Cruz, and he explicitly associated it with European countries having colonized the Americas. Starting in the late 1400s, Great Britain, Spain, and Portugal funded missions to the Americas in order to gather natural resources that would power up their economies. By stealing the land that made this resource extraction possible, colonizers used genocide, enslavement, biological weaponry, and warfare and that resulted in the deaths of tens of millions of indigenous people living in the “New World.” The concept of race, and therefore racism, was invented as a way of justifying their violence and legitimizing a hierarchy of race-divided labor.

[&c.]
https://theoutline.com/post/5809/the-ra ... i=dkwy7mwc

I fear it's not satire.

Giz

Post by Giz » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:31 am

It's been problematic since the first giant leap for all MANkind

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:41 am

Giz wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:31 am
It's been problematic since the first giant leap for all MANkind
William Shakespeare

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:57 am

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:28 am

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:32 pm

Popehat wrote:The alt-right (or whatever you want to call these losers) wants a hate speech code to protect them.
Only as an interim measure (just like the SJWs).

What they really want are death squads (just like the SJWs).

Popehat is good, but being lawyers, they tend too much to take arguments at face value.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

xouper

Post by xouper » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:10 am

Maybe a day late, but not forgotten:
WildCat wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:46 am
xouper wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:58 am
WildCat wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:13 am
Insanity.
I watched the whole thing and found it very interesting.

So now I’m curious, what exactly did you find insane?

Please be as specific as you can. Thanks.
Just the part he said to watch. Intersectional identity politics is cancer, and textbook-definition racism.
Thanks for answering my question. I agree. Having watched from the beginning, I was fascinated by her applications of mathematical abstractions and wasn't paying enough attention when she segued into identity politics. Mathematical abstractions aren't so useful if the axioms are junk (as you observed), which was a point she skipped over.