The Post-Breakfast ShitPost Thread

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
User avatar
Abdul Alhazred
Posts: 72325
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:33 pm
Title: Yes, that one.
Location: Chicago

Re: The Post-Breakfast ShitPost Thread

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:25 am

That's not a shitpost at all.

That's nostalgia for the good old days. 8)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

User avatar
Witness
Posts: 17759
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:50 pm

Re: The Post-Breakfast ShitPost Thread

Post by Witness » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:46 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:50 am
So ISIS has been defeated but also Russia, Iran and Syria will now have to fight ISIS. Makes sense.
Isil launches fierce counterattack in Deir Ezzor after Trump's withdrawal announcement

Islamic State (Isil) fighters have been waging a fierce counterattack with suicide bombers and armoured vehicles in the days since Donald Trump declared the jihadist group was “defeated” in Syria.

The Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) said Isil fighters were emboldened by the news of the US withdrawal and were fighting to retake the town of Hajin in Deir Ezzor just days after they were driven out.

“They got high morale from US decision to withdraw from Syria,” said Mustafa Bali, an SDF spokesman. “Isil is still strong in the region.”
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/1 ... ithdrawal/

User avatar
Nyarlathotep
Posts: 47950
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:50 pm

Re: The Post-Breakfast ShitPost Thread

Post by Nyarlathotep » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:17 am

Image
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

User avatar
Witness
Posts: 17759
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:50 pm

Re: The Post-Breakfast ShitPost Thread

Post by Witness » Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:14 am

↑ Sounds quite like:
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.
– Plato


Image

User avatar
WildCat
Posts: 14260
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:53 am
Location: The 33rd Ward, Chicago

Re: The Post-Breakfast ShitPost Thread

Post by WildCat » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:04 pm

Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

User avatar
Rob Lister
Posts: 20111
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:15 pm
Title: Incipient toppler
Location: Swimming in Lake Ed

Re: The Post-Breakfast ShitPost Thread

Post by Rob Lister » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:14 pm

At some point, we have to retire that. Not yet though.

User avatar
Skeeve
Posts: 10649
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:35 am

Re: The Post-Breakfast ShitPost Thread

Post by Skeeve » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:31 pm

Rob Lister wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:14 pm
At some point, we have to retire that. Not yet though.
Seriously!
That bit is still hilarious....'
Besides, Abdul loves the uniforms.

:)
Then Skank Of America could start in...

User avatar
Abdul Alhazred
Posts: 72325
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:33 pm
Title: Yes, that one.
Location: Chicago

Re: The Post-Breakfast ShitPost Thread

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:08 am

:evil:

You ==>> :godwin:

Adolf as you remember him. 8)

Last edited by Abdul Alhazred on Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

User avatar
Witness
Posts: 17759
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:50 pm

Re: The Post-Breakfast ShitPost Thread

Post by Witness » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:03 am

Image

User avatar
WildCat
Posts: 14260
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:53 am
Location: The 33rd Ward, Chicago

Re: The Post-Breakfast ShitPost Thread

Post by WildCat » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:10 am

Witness wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:03 am
Image
That doesn't work for me because whoever wrote it has no idea what "the swamp" refers to.
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

User avatar
Anaxagoras
Posts: 22484
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:45 am
Location: Yokohama/Tokyo, Japan

Re: The Post-Breakfast ShitPost Thread

Post by Anaxagoras » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:23 am

Image
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

User avatar
Pyrrho
Posts: 26182
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:17 am
Title: Man in Black
Location: Division 6

Re: The Post-Breakfast ShitPost Thread

Post by Pyrrho » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:13 pm

Wonder if it's a true story...anyway, some of the comments are droll.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

User avatar
Witness
Posts: 17759
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:50 pm

Re: The Post-Breakfast ShitPost Thread

Post by Witness » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:38 pm

Image

User avatar
Pyrrho
Posts: 26182
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:17 am
Title: Man in Black
Location: Division 6

Re: The Post-Breakfast ShitPost Thread

Post by Pyrrho » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:38 pm

Franklin Graham got banned from Facebook for a day because of a 2016 post in which he accused Bruce Springsteen of groveling before sin or something like that. Conservative social media and elsewhere are yelping as if they're all Christians in the lion's den, evil censorship, liberals, you name it. Self-righteousness off the charts.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/livin ... 14480.html
Facebook is apologizing to evangelist Franklin Graham for banning him from posting on the site for 24 hours last week, a Facebook spokesperson told The Charlotte Observer on Saturday.

It was a mistake to ban Graham over a 2016 post he made on the site, and a mistake to have taken down the post, the spokesperson said.

Facebook has restored the 2016 post and will apologize in a note to the administrator of Graham’s Facebook page, according to the Facebook spokesperson, who agreed to speak only on background, meaning without the spokesperson’s name.

A member of Facebook’s content review team -- the team has 15,000 members -- had mistakenly decided the post violated Facebook’s policy that bans “dehumanizing language” and excluding people based on sexual orientation, race and other factors, according to the spokesperson and Facebook’s written policy.
Graham's recent post includes his 2016 post. If anybody cares.

https://www.facebook.com/FranklinGraham ... 5136857988

Yeah, well, it's Facebook's business, Facebook's rules. They can ban anyone they want for any reason. I don't think Facebook, Twitter, etc. are obliged to any free speech requirements.

I had no idea that Graham was on Facebook, so I've gone ahead and blocked him on my own Facebook account.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

User avatar
xouper
Posts: 9126
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:52 am
Location: HockeyTown USA

Re: The Post-Breakfast ShitPost Thread

Post by xouper » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:15 pm

Pyrrho wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:38 pm
Yeah, well, it's Facebook's business, Facebook's rules. They can ban anyone they want for any reason. I don't think Facebook, Twitter, etc. are obliged to any free speech requirements.
I agree. All that is true.

And that's why I cancelled my Facebook and Twitter accounts earlier this year. It took me a while to notice just how evil they are. And not just because they censor speech they don't like.

Does anyone remember how this forum got started?

Once Upon A Time, someone on the JREF forum wrote: Yeah, well, it's JREF's business, JREF's rules. They can ban anyone they want for any reason. I don't think JREF, Facebook, Twitter, etc. are obliged to any free speech requirements.
All true. They have no such obligation. Just as I have no obligation to support them or use their service.

User avatar
Pyrrho
Posts: 26182
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:17 am
Title: Man in Black
Location: Division 6

Re: The Post-Breakfast ShitPost Thread

Post by Pyrrho » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:08 pm

Private companies are not evil because they block speech they don't like.

Even this forum has rules. Spammers get banned--and that is technically against the ideals of free speech. Others have been banned for linking to kiddy porn, violating privacy, and for threats of violence...all of those ban actions violate the ideals of free speech.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

User avatar
xouper
Posts: 9126
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:52 am
Location: HockeyTown USA

Re: The Post-Breakfast ShitPost Thread

Post by xouper » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:06 pm

Pyrrho wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:08 pm
Private companies are not evil because they block speech they don't like.
They are evil when they lie and say they are not censoring political speech they don't like and then routinely do it anyway.

They are evil when they lie and say they are a form of "public square" and then behave like a private square.

They are evil when they lie to Congress and say they are not politically biased.

They are evil when their algorithms censored the Declaration of Independence because it violated their "hate speech" standards, and it took some bad publicity to get them to restore it.

They are evil for a plethora of reasons.

https://www.google.com/search?q=facebook+is+evil

I'll wager that if Facebook and Twitter routinely censored liberal speech and banned liberal accounts, you would be singing a different tune.

Pyrrho wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:08 pm
Even this forum has rules. Spammers get banned--and that is technically against the ideals of free speech. Others have been banned for linking to kiddy porn, violating privacy, and for threats of violence...all of those ban actions violate the ideals of free speech.
Pyrrho, don't lay that crap on me. I know better.

Your argument is based on a huge equivocation fallacy of "free speech".

For example, kiddy porn is illegal and is not constitutionally protected speech. To argue that banning kiddy porn is a violation of free speech is to use a definition of free speech that almost no one uses. And that is an equivocation fallacy. Or a straw man fallacy. Or moving the goalposts. Or whatever.

In any case, you completely failed to address the point I was making, that this forum was created because of the censorship on the JREF forum. The fact that this forum also has "rules" does not change the fact that this forum was created with far fewer rules as an alternative to the JREF forum's censorship policies.

User avatar
Pyrrho
Posts: 26182
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:17 am
Title: Man in Black
Location: Division 6

Re: The Post-Breakfast ShitPost Thread

Post by Pyrrho » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:25 pm

I didn't argue that this forum wasn't created because of censorship on the JREF Forum. Certain people had an expectation that this forum would have zero rules, that it would quickly become buried in porn and spam, and the resulting failure would prove that rules were needed. Didn't happen.

Facebook has often blocked "liberals" such as Stonekettle and others. Conservatives do not appear to be special targets, despite complaints to the contrary.

My error about the kiddy porn. The rest of the argument stands without that reference. Likewise, I disagree that Facebook et al. are evil. Biased, sure. Incompetent bureaucracy, sure. Evil requires a bit more effort.

Not going to waste my time if you're going to perceive things as "laying crap on you." A civil discussion appears to be impossible under such circumstances.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

User avatar
xouper
Posts: 9126
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:52 am
Location: HockeyTown USA

Re: The Post-Breakfast ShitPost Thread

Post by xouper » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:37 pm

Pyrrho wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:25 pm
Not going to waste my time if you're going to perceive things as "laying crap on you." A civil discussion appears to be impossible under such circumstances.
Yeah, you're right. I apologize.

I mistakenly thought you were trying to compare what this forum does as a way of attacking my argument about Facebook.

As for our disagreement that Facebook is evil, that would seem to be a matter of personal opinion. I am fine if you do not agree. But do not tell me my opinion is wrong.

User avatar
Pyrrho
Posts: 26182
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:17 am
Title: Man in Black
Location: Division 6

Re: The Post-Breakfast ShitPost Thread

Post by Pyrrho » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:42 pm

I think you are wrong, xouper, just as you think I am wrong.

After looking back at the old ban actions, I have to retract my argument. Clearly was wrong about that.

The rest? Debatable. Not worth my time. Facebook, Twitter, etc. are not public utilities and are not obliged to be fair to anyone. Doesn't make them evil.

I am done.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.