Re: Florida School Shooting

Post by ed » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:06 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:54 am
ed wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:40 pm
gnome wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:32 pm
My thoughts on this are all over the place as to what is the best forum for the quality of police work to be accountable under various circumstances. But this is one of the reasons why I oppose blanket firearm bans, even if such were allowable constitutionally.
Here is the bottom line: a cop can be fired for not responding fast or effectively enough. But that performance does not constitute a legal requirement.
On the other hand, who would be a police officer if it meant that just doing your job or making a mistake under a high-stress situation is likely to make you go to jail.
You mean like <snark> shooting some unarmed black kid? </>

Seriously, it would not be the individual, it would be the municipality and it wouldn't be jail. It would be much much worse, it would be money.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:08 pm

Grammatron wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:57 am
Bruce wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:52 am
I'm recalling a line from the Simpsons.

The law is powerless to protect you, but it has plenty of power to punish you.
Close!

I am in an Ashram and con't turn the sound on. What is the gist of the video?

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:21 pm

Ed is really turning into Gandhi.

I never saw this but it appears to be that Marge is attacking an interloper who wants to steal her husband. Chief Wiggam shows up to arrest her. She protests, "But I thought you said that the law was powerless!?" To which the chief responds, "powerless to help you, not powerless to punish you". In context it appears that he means the law can't lift a finger to prevent another woman from stealing your husband, it can only punish you for retaliating with violence.
Disclaimer: I have not watched the full episode in question, only Grammy's clip.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:35 pm

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:08 am

Update: DeSantis Officially Suspends Broward Sheriff over Response to Parkland Shooting
Newly elected Florida governor Ron DeSantis suspended Broward County sheriff Scott Israel on Friday over failing’s in his department’s response to the mass shooting that left 17 people dead at Marjorie Stoneman Douglas High School last February.

“Sheriff Israel has repeatedly failed and has demonstrated a pattern of poor leadership,” DeSantis said in a statement. “He failed to protect Floridians and visitors during the tragic Fort Lauderdale International Airport shooting in 2017. He failed in his duties to keep our families and children safe during the devastating shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School on February 14, 2018. These incidents demonstrate Sheriff’s Israel’s repeated incompetence and neglect of duty. The families of the victims deserve accountability.”

DeSantis, who called for Israel’s suspension repeatedly during his campaign for governor, appointed retired Coral Springs Police sergeant Gregory Tony as Israel’s successor. Tony is the first African-American to serve as Broward County Sheriff.

Jeff Bell, president of the Broward Sheriff’s Office Deputies Association, has long criticized Israel’s leadership and praised DeSantis on Friday for acting in accordance with the will of his union members.

“True leaders like Governor DeSantis are willing to make the tough decisions that may not always be the most popular choices,” Bell said. “Scott Israel misused his authority and abused his public trust by politicizing the nation’s largest fully accredited Sheriff’s Office for his own political ambitions.”
Well, we shall see.
Then Skank Of America could start in...

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:36 am

The suspended sheriff vows to fight.

He should have fought during the shooting observations in 3 . . . 2 . . . 1. . . .

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

shuize

Post by shuize » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:11 am

Doctor X wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:36 am
The suspended sheriff vows to fight.
He should have fought during the shooting observations in 3 . . . 2 . . . 1. . . .

--J.D.

Clearly, some things are worth fighting for.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:08 am

For him, not kids apparently.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

shuize

Post by shuize » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:53 am

Doctor X wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:08 am
For him, not kids apparently.

--J.D.

Fighting to protect kids? How could that possibly save that sweet, sweet government pension?