Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Anaxagoras

Re: China: The Celestial Thread

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:26 am

WildCat wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:21 am
Anaxagoras wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:16 am
You went from "several" to "millions". What is that about?
Reading is fundamental... "From prominent celebrities to the Interpol chief, the world has seen millions of people in China seemingly vanish into thin air over the past few years — and yet the international community has remained largely silent."
Not fair. That wasn't in the part you quoted. :x

Point conceded, but you ignored my other questions so I shall repeat them:

Probably. Is Trump outraged about it? Is he doing anything about it? Are his supporters? Are you?

If not, then why are "we" bad for having the same level of apathy about it as "you guys"?
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:43 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:26 am
WildCat wrote:
Anaxagoras wrote:
Reading is fundamental... "From prominent celebrities to the Interpol chief, the world has seen millions of people in China seemingly vanish into thin air over the past few years — and yet the international community has remained largely silent."

Probably. Is Trump outraged about it? Is he doing anything about it? Are his supporters? Are you?

If not, then why are "we" bad for having the same level of apathy about it as "you guys"?
If Trump and Xi were friends there would be months of outrage and headlines... "why isn't Trump condemning China". But because they're not no one gives a damn, because the outrage is always about Trump and not the raison du jour used as an excuse.
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:06 am

WildCat wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:43 am
Anaxagoras wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:26 am
WildCat wrote:
Anaxagoras wrote:

If Trump and Xi were friends there would be months of outrage and headlines... "why isn't Trump condemning China". But because they're not no one gives a damn, because the outrage is always about Trump and not the raison du jour used as an excuse.
Well, maybe there's some of that, but I don't think that explains it all. I think what you are saying is, "don't be outraged by this injustice over here, be outraged by that injustice over there." There's too many injustices in this old world to spend equal time and attention being equally outraged by all of them.

Stalin once said, "The death of one man is a tragedy, the death of millions is a statistic." Well, Jamal Kashoggi was one man. Millions of Uighurs in China is, you know . . .
It's not right, but humans are just not mentally equipped to deal with such large numbers. We learn to care about the Holocaust by reading the diary of one little girl hiding in an attic, not by learning numbers and statistics about it.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:15 am

WildCat wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:51 am
Witness wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:46 am
China 'disappeared' several high-profile people in 2018 and some of them are still missing
No one cares, because they're feuding with Trump so all is forgiven it's Chinatown.
FTFY HTH 8)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:16 am

But seriously folks.

Who expects human rights in China?
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Witness

Post by Witness » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:14 pm

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:09 am

Two infos:
China 'to let thousands of ethnic Kazakhs leave Xinjiang'

Kazakh foreign ministry says they will be allowed to drop their Chinese citizenship

China is allowing more than 2,000 ethnic Kazakhs to abandon their Chinese citizenship and leave the country, the Kazakh foreign ministry has said, in a sign that Beijing may be starting to feel a mounting backlash against its crackdown on Muslims in the far west region of Xinjiang.

The detention of Uighur, Kazakh and other ethnic minorities in internment camps has been an issue in neighbouring Kazakhstan, a Central Asian country of 18 million people. China is a major trading partner, and Kazakhstan’s state media had generally avoided reporting on it. But activists say pressure for action has slowly built following international media coverage.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... e-xinjiang

Kenya will start teaching Chinese to elementary school students from 2020

Kenya will teach Mandarin in classrooms in a bid to improve job competitiveness and facilitate better trade and connection with China.

The country’s curriculum development institute (KICD) has said the design and scope of the mandarin syllabus have been completed and will be rolled in out in 2020. Primary school pupils from grade four (aged 10) and onwards will be able to take the course, the head of the agency Julius Jwan told Xinhua news agency. Jwan said the language is being introduced given Mandarin’s growing global rise, and the deepening political and economic connections between Kenya and China.
https://qz.com/africa/1517681/kenya-to- ... reddit.com