The First Mueller Anniversary

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Anaxagoras

Re: The First Mueller Anniversary

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:26 am

:P
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

gnome

Post by gnome » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:27 am

But wording it thus is a good way to avoid revealing information by implication.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:32 am

gnome wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:27 am
But wording it thus is a good way to avoid revealing information by implication.
That's actually a fair point in my opinion. Their original preference was to not make any comment at all. But then if you have a story out there that contains false information, and you know it's false, and they are attributing it to "federal law enforcement officials" do you just let it stand unchallenged? So they disputed the story without getting into any specifics about what reported facts were wrong.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

xouper

Post by xouper » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:45 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:32 am
gnome wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:27 am
That's actually a fair point in my opinion. Their original preference was to not make any comment at all. But then if you have a story out there that contains false information, and you know it's false, and they are attributing it to "federal law enforcement officials" do you just let it stand unchallenged? So they disputed the story without getting into any specifics about what reported facts were wrong.
There might be another reason for challenging the story, to preempt any call for an investigation into an alleged illegal leak by the special counsel office.

Surprise

Post by Surprise » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:11 am

ed wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:23 am
Surprise wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:23 am
That warrant was to spy on Carter Page.
Which is, ipso facto, permission to spy on Trump.
If you surround yourself with grifters ,weaklings and criminals don't be surprised if the trail leads to you.
  • Manafort
    Cohen
    Flynn
    Papadopoulos
    Gates

xouper

Post by xouper » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:38 am

Surprise wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:11 am
If you surround yourself with grifters ,weaklings and criminals don't be surprised if the trail leads to you.
  • Manafort
    Cohen
    Flynn
    Papadopoulos
    Gates
This being a forum for critical thinking, it seems appropriate to offer bonus points for the Latin name of that fallacy.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:38 am

Surprise wrote:
ed wrote:
Surprise wrote:
Show me a politician that isn't surrounded with those types.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:11 am

A dead politician.

Oh wait, which grave yard?

But, yeah, such puerile slogans do not an argument make. Someone could turn it around and note that despite all of these "criminals," he has never been indicted. To which such will try to play the equally fatuous Clausian Denial Tactic of "Won't be long now!"

This reminds me of arguing whether or not "Brady is bestest" with . . . well . . . everyone who hates Tom Brady. All a bunch of noise, little facts, emotions everywhere. "But it was Her My Team's Turn!"

The more rational answer is that Mueller knows that such a charge, unanswered, undermines a president. It would be the same as: Sources close to the investigation reported that:
  • 1. Her T [Stop it!--Ed.] Hillary Clinton knew about and covered up her husband's rapes.
    2. Hillary Clinton financed a false dossier . . . no . . . wait!
    3. Hillary Clinton over-road orders to relieve Benghazi.
    4. Obama instructed Eric Holder to lie to Congress over "Fast and Furious."
    5. George Bush claimed that jet fuel can actually melt steal. WAKE UP SHEEPLE!!
The point is that such cripples a president. Cannot have that. Without prejudicing whatever they have, they quashed the report.

Whatever side one falls on regarding Mueller--and he has a history of "cooking" some investigations: see Boston FBI and Roger "Video? What Video? You Mean This Video?" Goodell--he has not leaked. We have not seen either: Sources close to the investigation suggest:
  • 1. This is all a bunch of butt-hurt Democrats crying over Her Turn.
    2. Trump promised to give Putin free reign in Syria and Gibraltar if he helped him hack election machines, kill a few journalists, and, like, fuck Ukraine.
In the rain.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!!

Surprise

Post by Surprise » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:56 am

I thought that Hillary was a bad choice. At a time when people were obviously over the "party machine" politics she was not going to go as well as a better candidate. That and the HDS that has gripped the minds of so many people for so long.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:42 am

Surprise wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:56 am
I thought that Hillary was a bad choice. At a time when people were obviously over the "party machine" politics she was not going to go as well as a better candidate. That and the HDS that has gripped the minds of so many people for so long.
In all honesty, while I thought she was a "bad choice," I thought Trump was also a "bad choice." Apologies if you were lurking during the time, but the problem was it was "Her Turn" so the Democrats had no one against her save Some Guy who would show up for debates. The dissatisfaction with her as a candidate became clear when a normally Crazy Uncle Earl Candidate--we all have an Uncle Earl!--Bernie Sanders actually gathered support. In more sane years, he would just be a "point-and-laugh" candidate.

Meanwhile, on the Republican side what did we have? Cruz? The Stupider Bush?! Hey, I'm a Texas Gov'ner Too?!" A guy who thinks the pyramids were "grain silos" and the Earth is only 6,000 years old? Really? I mean, you are faced with someone whose only reason for running is she fucked, once, a popular rapist and you vomit up Mark Fucking Rubio!

Trump?

Why I do not gamble: I felt Trump was about as likely to win as the Patriots to come back down 28-3 as the third quarter ended [He was watching the Star Trek marathon on BBC.--Ed.] Quiet! "I AM KIROCK!"

So, frankly, I do not "judge" those who "voted against" either of the two.

Rational choice, frankly.

Which is why I only "poke" sparks and Anax on the point with :freedom: references.

Both candidates had sufficient flaws to disqualifications which is why I maintain that if Her Turn won the Republicans would be tormenting her with investigations that would make Mueller look like the FBI investigations of Whitey Bulger. They are just smarter than the Moonbat Wing of the Democrats to realize impeachment without conviction would only help her, and without an actual crime--rather than "we all KNOW she as behind Vince Foster, Bill's rapes, Benghazi, Pizzagate . . . CHILDREN!! OUR CHILDREN!!11![!--Ed.]--there would NOT be enough Democrats to vote against her in the Senate.

Though, having written that, there were "PsychoCons" on the Republican side who advocated impeaching her BEFORE the election. At least two pathetic Democrat Moonbat waited until after his inauguration.

Nevertheless, had Her Tu she won, I would have, sincerely, given her a chance.

Few Republicans would, just as few Democrats have given Trump a chance. The immigration issue is one such case where Democrats are reversing their positions simply to deny him a "win." Again, Republicans would do the same for Her Turn.

To which I will add [ZZzzzzzzZZZzzzzz.--Ed.] . . . Trump, like Hillary, and Obama . . . and Bush, is not "as bad" as expected. His SCOTUS nominees were not, well, Roy Moore or Ted Cruz as some suggested! He has done some "good things."

"WHAT?!!11!"

Well, so did Obama. And Bill.

Anyways, my point is--and this is an internet forum so who cares?--as a "skeptical forum" we should attack/support based on evidences--thanks--rather than what we want. It would be the same as if, say, Pres. Her Turn bombed Syria to enforce Obama's line that Obama forgot about and, suddenly, every Republican who supported Trump's--surprisingly--strategic and measured "slap" were all "ILLEGALZ WARZ!!! IMPEACHES!"

So do not take remonstration as "personal," even if it suggests that you Hate Freedom and, Heavens to Betsy, refuse to tip Gram's Mom.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

gnome

Post by gnome » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:38 pm

That is a lucid, intelligent, well-thought out opinion.

Obviously you hate America and puppies.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:00 pm

gnome wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:38 pm
That is a lucid, intelligent, well-thought out opinion.

Obviously you hate America and puppies.
I thought you were going to overrule cousin Vinny.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:15 pm

Everything that guy wrote there is bullshit.

--J.D.

Surprise

Post by Surprise » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:13 pm

Grammatron wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:38 am
Surprise wrote:
ed wrote:
Surprise wrote:
Obama?

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:07 pm

Surprise wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:13 pm
Grammatron wrote:
Surprise wrote:
ed wrote:
Surprise wrote:
Obama?
Um. Chicago. :roll:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:17 pm

Surprise wrote:
Grammatron wrote:
Surprise wrote:
ed wrote:
Surprise wrote:
Obama?
I think that if the people around Obama were investigated the way Trumps people are being investigated it would look about the same.
You can't reach that level of power and success without having done things which. to the ignorant, may appear dodgy. If you have never been at a senior level in business or, I suspect, government, you have no idea how it is played. I think most people try to hew to the law but regulations are so fucking complicated that I think that it is virtually impossible to ever be completely clean.

I'll give an example. This is ITAR
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internati ... egulations
It regulates trade in "dangerous thing". It regulates everything. Let me say that again: it regulates EVERYTHING.

You know what "dual use" is? "(of technology or equipment) designed or suitable for both civilian and military purposes." You think that snippet of code you sent to AC was only for boring accountancy? Hahahahahahahaha If it can be slipped into something less banal you might be in violation. AR grips? Foul weather gear? Surplus crap from WW2? Chemicals?

If you shipped anything overseas at any point in your lives I would make a money bet that I could ruin you financially if I had Mueller's powers. Fact is also that there are penalties for not registering as a supplier of ITAR stuff. Didn't know that it was ITAR? Fuck you, pay me.

It's political. Plain and simple.

eta most people have no idea of how onerous federal regulations are. Hey Bruce, give us a snippit would you? Now imagine this level of burocratic crap in every business. No way you can be pure.

I had a law firm in DC, big one (I say that becasue you would think a big firm would be buttoned up. right?). I recall asking my attorney about OSHA regs. He said that they were so complicated that his firm decided that paying fines was cheaper than trying to comply a priori. You think the founders would approve?
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

xouper

Post by xouper » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:31 pm

Surprise wrote:
Grammatron wrote:
Surprise wrote:
ed wrote:
Surprise wrote:
Obama?
:lmao: Yeah, right.

gnome

Post by gnome » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:08 pm

ed wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:17 pm

I think that if the people around Obama were investigated the way Trumps people are being investigated it would look about the same.
You can't reach that level of power and success without having done things which. to the ignorant, may appear dodgy. If you have never been at a senior level in business or, I suspect, government, you have no idea how it is played. I think most people try to hew to the law but regulations are so fucking complicated that I think that it is virtually impossible to ever be completely clean.

I'll give an example. This is ITAR
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internati ... egulations
It regulates trade in "dangerous thing". It regulates everything. Let me say that again: it regulates EVERYTHING.

You know what "dual use" is? "(of technology or equipment) designed or suitable for both civilian and military purposes." You think that snippet of code you sent to AC was only for boring accountancy? Hahahahahahahaha If it can be slipped into something less banal you might be in violation. AR grips? Foul weather gear? Surplus crap from WW2? Chemicals?

If you shipped anything overseas at any point in your lives I would make a money bet that I could ruin you financially if I had Mueller's powers. Fact is also that there are penalties for not registering as a supplier of ITAR stuff. Didn't know that it was ITAR? Fuck you, pay me.

It's political. Plain and simple.

eta most people have no idea of how onerous federal regulations are. Hey Bruce, give us a snippit would you? Now imagine this level of burocratic crap in every business. No way you can be pure.

I had a law firm in DC, big one (I say that becasue you would think a big firm would be buttoned up. right?). I recall asking my attorney about OSHA regs. He said that they were so complicated that his firm decided that paying fines was cheaper than trying to comply a priori. You think the founders would approve?
I'm sure you are correct, and from that I take that the presence of an adjudicated violation is not enough information to evaluate the situation. All I would add is that in light of this, can a reasonably informed person do anything to distinguish a case of someone effectively "stumbling into noncompliance", or perhaps abandoning attempts at compliance due to the regulations' onerous nature, and separate them from someone who is in deliberate violation of what the regulation was intended to stop?
--Soldier, TF2

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:32 pm

Surprise wrote:
Obama?
Tony Rezko? Bill Ayers?
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:42 pm

WildCat wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:32 pm
Tony Rezko? Bill Ayers?
Every Democrat with "juice" in Chicago?
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale