The First Mueller Anniversary

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Anaxagoras

Re: The First Mueller Anniversary

Post by Anaxagoras » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:33 am

Oh Buzzfeed, what have you done.

"inaccurate" is an interesting word.

synonyms: inexact, imprecise, incorrect, wrong, erroneous, faulty, imperfect, flawed, defective, unsound, unreliable; out, adrift, wide of the mark, off target; fallacious, false, mistaken, untrue, not true, not right; falsified, distorted, garbled; informal off beam, full of holes
"the maps were notoriously inaccurate"

Could mean anything from "false" to "imprecise". Were they wrong in a minor detail or wrong about the whole thing?

Maybe in a rush to "break the story" before anyone else, they got sloppy. The statement from the special counsel obviously leaves a lot of questions unanswered. I suppose they will be answered eventually.
"BuzzFeed's description of specific statements to the Special Counsel's Office, and characterization of documents and testimony obtained by this office, regarding Michael Cohen's Congressional testimony are not accurate," said Peter Carr, a spokesman for Mueller's office, in a statement.
What the statement does not say is that they don't have evidence that points in that general direction, only that Buzzfeed's description of that evidence is "not accurate".
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:20 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:33 am
Were they wrong in a minor detail or wrong about the whole thing?
I think you need to re-read what Mueller's office released.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!!

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:22 am

Doctor X wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:31 am
The National Enquirer still stands by Batboy.

--J.D.
Batboy is a true patriot, he has saved the USA from certain doom on numerous occasions.
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

shuize

Post by shuize » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:05 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:33 am
What the statement does not say is that they don't have evidence that points in that general direction, only that Buzzfeed's description of that evidence is "not accurate".

Yeah, the "This time we've really got him!" crowd should hang their hats on that ...

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:32 am

Well, to be fair, given the Kind and Gentle Remonstrations I meted out to Anax and Suprise, when I first heard the story, my immediate reaction was "he can't be that stupid."

Before spark's bowels unclench on that statement, if he WAS "that stupid" he would have been in jail in the fucking 80s. That is why I mentioned that Giuliani would have convicted him . . . back when he was the DA! THAT stupid does not survive. Same as the greatest evidences against the Birthers is that Her Turn could not do anything with it!

Still, if true, wow. Buzzfeed gives the implication that there is objective and verifiable evidences--thanks--of suborning perjury. I would be upset that if Mueller had that it should have been out LONG ago, because you do not keep someone like that in office.

But then it made no sense. If Cohen had tapes of that--remember the promises?--he would be out on a deal, Trump would have been impeached by the REPUBLICAN congress before thee election. Giuliani probably would have heard of it. Maybe the submitted question: "did you ever instruct your lawyer to lie to Congress?" might have suggested something!

If an actual newspaper posted that, say, Her Turn bribed officials to quash the rape allegations against her husband, or Pelosi [CENSORED--Ed.] Tinkerbell with her fist, et cetera, THAT would cause a "hoopla" from the respective sides. Add "and we have it on film!" and even supporters would start to run.

So I understand it.

But this not being 1998, it all started to quickly unravel. Rowan Farrow, no friend of Trump, came out stating he was told by actual sources who would know that this was a load of crap and not to spread it. No one else knew of it, and it became clear that if it WAS true the leaker would have to be Mueller or someone very close to him. Like maybe one or two other guys. One of the "reporters" is a partisan-not-actually-a-reporter previously outed for . . . making shit up!

And why do that?

Why not simply present it to Trump and his lawyers with a "you should consider resigning?" a few hours after obtaining it. Cohen "blew his wad" months ago. His sentence has suggested to too many Legal Talking Heads that he does not have anything substantial to deal. Think he would get three years if he had this? Trump's head on a plate?

Hell, if Cohen had that he could have blackmailed Trump into pardoning him. One has to assume that Trump is Beyond Stupid for the conspiracy to hold: just like Bush engineered 9/11 to invade Iraq but, for some reason, forgot to bury some sarin in an Iraqi desert! That part was on page 2 of the Evil Plan, and he lost that page, apparently.

So Trump would have to be threatened with a recording of him committing a rather clear-cut crime on federal level and . . . ignored it? Is he an "Evil Genius" with all of his other crimes yet missed this one?

Still, just as Democrats blither about "colussions!" the more ideological will raise "directed his lawyers to LIE" months from now.

In the rain.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:33 am

I suspect that the tone and tenor of the crowds lining the streets when a traitor was being transported to St. Giles Fields was similar. Thing is that the cry is driven by the media. Never seen anything like it at any point during my life. Even during the Nixon mess. This is like real animosity. Unbelievable.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:56 am

I suppose in hindsight the clues were there. Like, why is this being reported by Buzzfeed and not the New York Times or The Washington Post.

Also, not even that.

If Mueller has this, why not save it for the immanent report? Why steal your own thunder by leaking it to Buzzfeed instead of dropping it in the report?
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

ed

Post by ed » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:04 pm

Doctor X wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:32 am
Before spark's bowels unclench on that statement, if he WAS "that stupid" he would have been in jail in the fucking 80s. That is why I mentioned that Giuliani would have convicted him . . . back when he was the DA! THAT stupid does not survive. Same as the greatest evidences against the Birthers is that Her Turn could not do anything with it!

--J.D.
Never ever forget the sniff test. It is largely infallible.

I think there is a fact that Trumps enemies refuse to admit. You cannot hold onto great wealth if you are an idiot. The fact that he has had great wealth and grown it and stayed out of the slammer presents a prima facie case for a modicum of intelligence.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:13 pm

Or why not move the minute you had it?

As I said, one can only assume Cohen would have claimed this months ago. One thing that came out of the Flynn proceedings per Popehat and others is that "Da Feds" do not go to sentencing until after you have given everything up and testify.

Leave aside "impeachable," this would be "indictable." The Democrat Wet Pants who screamed at Barr about "indicting a Sitting President!" either fail to understand or simply do not care that you can fucking indict after impeachment and removal. This is why Ford pardoned Nixon. If there was an actual recording of what Buzzfeed claimed, the Republicans would have dumped him. Fox would be promoting "how good it is we have a Christian President Pence, Anthony!"

This is about as silly, it seems, as the "dossier" that started this whole mess. People latching on to either the scandal or the desire to believe it. Like a sports fan. In one of the Fan-Reactions to THE EPIC SUPER BOWL XLIX!!11!--"BEAST MODE! BEAST MODE! BEAST! . . . Mode?"--a fan suddenly screams, "there's a flag!" as if a penalty will somehow change the outcome.

Same with Birthers. Somehow, in someway, Obama will be "invalidated."

--J.D.

ed

Post by ed » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:50 pm

At this point I am willing to bet that there is a fair amount of calculation going on to figure out how to save face.

Mueller et al are primarily not of the political class, they might think about what thinking people will think of them when this is all over.

corplinx
Title: Moderator

Post by corplinx » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:13 pm

Democrats today realizing Mueller has nothing.

gnome

Post by gnome » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:08 pm

Has Muller made any promises about the significance of his findings? I don't know who counts as "et al", but I'm not expecting anything from him but to give a factual report however it "looks" to whoever. Did I miss some partisan rah-rah from him?
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:20 pm

The most amusing defense of this I have heard was on the radio last night "Well, Mueller only seems to be hitting at the quality of the evidence, not the conclusion"

What delusional bullshit. If I claim to have proof Bigfoot exists and you look it over and say "Hmmm, this looks like a picture of a man in a cheap gorilla costume. You can see the "Property of Party City" tag sticking out the back in a few of these photos" you are "only hitting at the quality" of my evidence too I suppose, but it's pretty goddam disastrous for my conclusion.
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:23 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:56 am
I suppose in hindsight the clues were there. Like, why is this being reported by Buzzfeed and not the New York Times or The Washington Post.
Yeah, that should have been a huge red flag right there. A "News source" that is most famous for quizzes like "tell us what you like on your Ice Cream Sundae and we will tell you what state you should be from" is a terribly unlikely source for the Story of the Century(tm)
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

gnome

Post by gnome » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:58 pm

If I understand correctly they've had their share of serious content, too. Compare perhaps to "Playboy" articles or at least "Rolling Stone"? Not automatically frivolous, but no--I wouldn't rely on it as confirmation of anything. Maybe the sort of feed that scoops everything they can, and gets a hit now and then.

A second look, and maybe I wouldn't even put them in the league of the other publications I mentioned. I might be thinking of another source. So whatever.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:07 pm

Buzzfeed?

Automatically frivolous, especially when they are pretending not to be. 8)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

shuize

Post by shuize » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:11 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:23 pm
Anaxagoras wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:56 am
Yeah, that should have been a huge red flag right there. A "News source" that is most famous for quizzes like "tell us what you like on your Ice Cream Sundae and we will tell you what state you should be from" is a terribly unlikely source for the Story of the Century(tm)

Not when you're so misguided to think getting Trump is the only way to save the Republic the Universe! so it just has to be true!

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:07 am

Meanwhile: FISA shocker: DOJ official warned Steele dossier was connected to Clinton, might be biased
When the annals of mistakes and abuses in the FBI’s Russia investigation are finally written, Bruce Ohr almost certainly will be the No. 1 witness, according to my sources.

The then-senior Department of Justice (DOJ) official briefed both senior FBI and DOJ officials in summer 2016 about Christopher Steele’s Russia dossier, explicitly cautioning that the British intelligence operative’s work was opposition research connected to Hillary Clinton’s campaign and might be biased.

Ohr’s briefings, in July and August 2016, included the deputy director of the FBI, a top lawyer for then-Attorney General Loretta Lynch and a Justice official who later would become the top deputy to special counsel Robert Mueller.

At the time, Ohr was the associate deputy attorney general. Yet his warnings about political bias were pointedly omitted weeks later from the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) warrant that the FBI obtained from a federal court, granting it permission to spy on whether the Trump campaign was colluding with Russia to hijack the 2016 presidential election.
Oh my, now that does not look very good....
Then Skank Of America could start in...

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:23 am

It was Her Turn.

--J.D.

Surprise

Post by Surprise » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:23 am

That warrant was to spy on Carter Page.