President Trump May Use Military to Build Border Wall

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
shuize

Re: President Trump May Use Military to Build Border Wall

Post by shuize » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:52 pm

Re: Mexico paying, why not just tax remittances?

In fact, wall or not, why not raise the tax on remittances?

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:15 pm

Grammatron wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:30 pm
Anaxagoras wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:11 pm
If Mexico's going to pay for it why does congress need to allocate any money?
Honestly, that's an absurd question. How can any entity pay for a federal government project directly?
I do realize that, but that's what he promised, so if it's absurd then his promise was absurd.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:22 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:15 pm
Grammatron wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:30 pm
Anaxagoras wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:11 pm
If Mexico's going to pay for it why does congress need to allocate any money?
Honestly, that's an absurd question. How can any entity pay for a federal government project directly?
I do realize that, but that's what he promised, so if it's absurd then his promise was absurd.
Ok.

Giz

Post by Giz » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:29 pm

120 for a working wall sounds like a bargain actually, compared to all the associated costs on health, food, housing, education.

My local elementary school is 85% English as a second language. Also 85% of families on government assistance. (Might be a correlation. )

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:39 pm

shuize wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:52 pm

Aren't you an expatriate too? Maybe it's not an issue for you, but it would be for me. My parents are helping to pay for my daughter's college for example.

On the other hand, I guess I can see your logic. It would be a way to tax illegal immigration (some, because not all illegal immigrants send remittances back home) but the tax would not only fall on illegal immigrants.
William Shakespeare

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:55 am

What? The wall isn't built yet?!? :x

[image rehosted, something went wrong on Imgur]
Last edited by Witness on Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

shuize

Post by shuize » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:00 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:39 pm
shuize wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:52 pm

Aren't you an expatriate too? Maybe it's not an issue for you, but it would be for me. My parents are helping to pay for my daughter's college for example.

Yes, in Japan, too.

On the other hand, I guess I can see your logic. It would be a way to tax illegal immigration (some, because not all illegal immigrants send remittances back home) but the tax would not only fall on illegal immigrants.
Easy. Verified legal residents can transfer money tax free. Don't want to show proof of legal residence? No problem. Pay the tax.

Japan seems to be doing something fairly close to that with banks now requiring "My Number" verification for money sent abroad.

Of course, illegal workers can hand carry their cash back home. But I think a lot would be willing to pay the tax to avoid the risk.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:54 am

News GoFundMe for border wall raises more than $2M in just 3 days

I wonder if it's legit.
A supporter of President Trump’s border wall proposal has started a GoFundMe to help pay for the project — and the fund skyrocketed to more than $2 million on Wednesday night after being live for just three days.

Brian Kolfage, a Trump voter and disabled Iraq War veteran with no connection to the administration, wrote that he set up the page because “President Trump’s main campaign promise was to BUILD THE WALL. And as he’s followed through on just about every promise so far, this wall project needs to be completed still.”

Trump campaigned on building a “great wall” on the southern border during the 2016 presidential election.

As the end of Trump’s second year in office comes to a close, his administration has not built the wall or secured funds for it — and a budget proposal passed Wednesday by the Senate did not fulfill Trump’s call to provide funds for it.

Kolfage wrote on his fundraising page that if every Trump voter donates $80 to his wall-building campaign, they will raise $5 billion needed to build the border wall.

“Even if we get half, that’s half the wall. We can do this,” Kolfage wrote on the GoFundMe page.

As of Wednesday night, the campaign had raised nearly $2 million, with large and small donations pouring in nearly every minute.

Kolfage assured donors that he has contacted the Trump administration and every penny of their donations would go to funding the “Trump wall.”

“We have many very high level contacts already helping,” he wrote.
$2 million. Only $998 million more to go for a billion, which would cover, I don't know. Trump says he wants $5 billion in the current budget. However, that wouldn't pay for the whole thing, it would just be enough to get started, maybe build some of the highest priority parts. The whole thing would probably cost in the neighborhood of $25 billion.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:14 am

Freedom is not free, Anax.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:27 pm

SHUTDOWN SHOWDOWN: Trump Refuses To Sign Senate Continuing Resolution, Demands Border Security Funding
On Thursday, President Trump announced that he would not sign a short-term continuing resolution approved by the Senate – a bill that did not include funding for a border wall. Speaker of the House Paul Ryan (R-WI), who was summoned to the White House alongside Reps. Kevin McCarthy (R-CA), Jim Jordan (R-OH), and Mark Meadows (R-SC), announced Trump’s stance:
BREAKING: Speaker Ryan says President Trump will not sign short-term continuing resolution passed by Senate. https://t.co/vNp0vlw0TF pic.twitter.com/PeZWvSF5lo

— NBC News (@NBCNews) December 20, 2018
Ryan stated that Trump would not sign the bill “because of his legitimate concerns for border security.” He pledged to go back to the House and work with members to change the bill to protect the border. McCarthy, who will act as minority leader in the next term, said, “We believe there’s still time. We can still have border security….We had a great discussion with him there. The president says what the Senate sent over is just kicking the can down the road.”
So, lets see who blinks first.....

:Popcorn:
But this is the time for Trump to stand strong, if he can: there won’t be any more opportunities once Nancy Pelosi is Speaker of the House. Simply put, if Trump doesn’t get the wall now, he’s not getting it before the 2020 election.
Then Skank Of America could start in...

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:33 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:54 am
News GoFundMe for border wall raises more than $2M in just 3 days

I wonder if it's legit.
A supporter of President Trump’s border wall proposal has started a GoFundMe to help pay for the project — and the fund skyrocketed to more than $2 million on Wednesday night after being live for just three days.

Brian Kolfage, a Trump voter and disabled Iraq War veteran with no connection to the administration, wrote that he set up the page because “President Trump’s main campaign promise was to BUILD THE WALL.

...*Big Snip*...
$2 million. Only $998 million more to go for a billion, which would cover, I don't know. Trump says he wants $5 billion in the current budget. However, that wouldn't pay for the whole thing, it would just be enough to get started, maybe build some of the highest priority parts. The whole thing would probably cost in the neighborhood of $25 billion.
Update: Crowdfunding Effort To Build Border Wall Draws $4.6 Million (And Soaring Fast) In Just Three Days
The GoFundMe campaign, launched by an Iraq War veteran just three days ago, had collected $2.8 million of a $1 billion goal with more than 46,000 people contributing by late Wednesday. That rose to $3.6 million by Thursday morning, with the number of contributors jumping to some 59,000, then to $4.7 million just an hour later, with 76,000 contributing.
Cesar Chavez would be so proud.
Then Skank Of America could start in...

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:50 pm

Just a matter of sorting out the contractors.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

gnome

Post by gnome » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:41 pm

We can save a lot of taxpayer money if we stiff the contractors afterwards!
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:54 pm

They'll low-ball the bids and soak us on the change orders.

Meanwhile, any terrorists will be arriving via submarine. Like the drug runners.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:34 pm

Oooh, almost $5 million raised. Given the proposed cost that'll build what? 100 feet?

And I still wonder what the people who are all for the wall propose we will do with the Rio Grande. Wall ourselves off from it or build it straight down the middle?

ETA: Actually got curious. The length of the US Mexico border is a tad under 2000 miles, so let's call it 2000 to keep the math simple. Assuming 8 Billion dollars is needed to build the wall, that's $4 million dollars per mile, so they have raised enough to build almost a mile and a quarter. Only 1,998.75 more miles to go
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:59 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:34 pm
Oooh, almost $5 million raised. Given the proposed cost that'll build what? 100 feet?
That's just feel good money.

Is it OK to call it "virtue signalling' when right wingers do it? :BigGrin3:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:27 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:59 pm
Nyarlathotep wrote:

As with everything, it’s only bad when the other guys go it

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:27 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:59 pm
Nyarlathotep wrote:

As with everything, it’s only bad when the other guys go it

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:25 pm

Let's fill the Rio Grande with hippos and Nile crocodiles and then see if anyone dares to swim across!
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

Giz

Post by Giz » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:46 pm

I was thinking sharks. With laser beams on their heads,