My turn for a TDS rant?

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
gnome

My turn for a TDS rant?

Post by gnome » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:50 am

Ok... looking for someone here to explain how this was actually a good idea, or misinterpreted by the press.

Is it supposed to be some kind of morale booster for the Commander in Chief to address the troops overseas and lie to their faces about their pay?

Can maybe just this once people admit that his ego and a lie got in the way of his job here?
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Anaxagoras

Re: My turn for a TDS rant?

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:05 am

What exactly was the lie about their pay?

They will get paid eventually of course, whenever one side blinks and the shutdown finally ends. I was in the military and the same thing happened to me.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

gnome

Post by gnome » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:11 am

That he got them (against the objections of Democrats) their first pay raise in 10 years, and that it was one of the biggest ever. He also spoke of demanding more than a 10% raise, many times what they actually got. And though above average (which I am fine with) it was not even the largest raise they've gotten in the past 10 years, let alone his claim that they hadn't gotten one at all. And he actually had never asked for one much bigger than what they received, let alone many times bigger. If there was a dinger it would have gone off repeatedly.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:33 am

Yeah, he's full of shit. I certainly can't defend that, nor would I want to.
Sounds exactly like him though. He makes up a lot of facts.

If others want to try to explain that away, they can.
William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:56 am

It's not TDS unless you try to make the case that Hitler did the same thing. :)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:23 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:56 am
In that case Trump himself suffers from TDS.

Or some sort of DS anyway.

William Shakespeare

gnome

Post by gnome » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:45 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:56 am
Even Hitler never lied to his army about what pay they already received!!!

How's that?
--Soldier, TF2

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:09 pm

OK OK! You've got TDS.

Satisfied? :BigGrin3:

gnome

Post by gnome » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:12 pm

I did it!

:figamagee:

Seriously though, I just think it's fucked up and I wonder if that's anything but unanimous. No need to agree with impeachment or that he's the WORST PRESIDENT EVAR! or anything like that. Just as an evaluation of this individual action.
--Soldier, TF2

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:46 pm

Compared to Obama and Her Turn's lies?

:freedom:

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

gnome

Post by gnome » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:56 pm

Not looking for a comparative of who's worse this time. If I've excused similar behavior from others I can consider recanting, but I think it's more productive to discuss whether it's right or wrong or inaccurate or no big deal, than whether I'm being consistent.
--Soldier, TF2

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:24 pm

Why do you hate Freedom?

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:59 pm

Here's a link.

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-mete ... ze-timing/
During a holiday visit to troops stationed in Iraq, President Donald Trump bragged that he had secured them not only their first pay raise in over a decade, but "one of the biggest" ever.

This is inaccurate and not the first time Trump has made false claims about annual military raises.

His full remarks:

"..you just got one of the biggest pay raises you’ve ever received ... You haven’t gotten one in more than 10 years — more than 10 years. And we got you a big one. I got you a big one. I got you a big one.

"They had plenty of people that came up. They said, ‘You know, we could make it smaller. We could make it 3 percent. We could make it 2 percent. We could make it 4 percent.’ I said, ‘No. Make it 10 percent. Make it more than 10 percent.’ Because it’s been a long time. It’s been more than 10 years. It’s been more than 10 years."

We fact-checked a similar claim from Trump in May, when he told military mothers and spouses at a White House event that he signed a bill to give service members a raise for the "first time in 10 years." We rated it Pants on Fire.

In reality, service members have received pay raises every year for more than three decades. The 2019 military pay increase of 2.6 percent is the largest in nine years, but it is not the "more than 10 percent" that Trump mentioned.
William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:09 pm

The 2019 military pay increase of 2.6 percent is the largest in nine years, but ...
Trump does it again.

Where's corplinx? 8)

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:11 pm

gnome wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:56 pm
Not looking for a comparative of who's worse this time. If I've excused similar behavior from others I can consider recanting, but I think it's more productive to discuss whether it's right or wrong or inaccurate or no big deal, than whether I'm being consistent.
So what you're saying is, you're not going to vote for him next time.

gnome

Post by gnome » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:32 pm

Rob Lister wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:11 pm
gnome wrote:
Can't we agree or disagree on an action without it being about who we're going to vote for?
--Soldier, TF2

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:06 pm

gnome wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:32 pm
Rob Lister wrote:
gnome wrote:
Can't we agree or disagree on an action without it being about who we're going to vote for?
So you are undecided?

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:12 pm

gnome wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:32 pm
Rob Lister wrote:
gnome wrote:
We can agree that people parse words and actions of those we disagree with using increased scrutiny.

gnome

Post by gnome » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:03 pm

I'll listen to a different suggestion on how the president's words could be parsed. How might I take it differently if I were less biased?
--Soldier, TF2

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:33 pm

gnome wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:03 pm
I'll listen to a different suggestion on how the president's words could be parsed. How might I take it differently if I were less biased?
You would just ignore it like speeches made by other politicians, perhaps those who you do not have strong opinion on.

Politicians lie, embellish, misspeak, and selectively use data all the time. What makes this example different from others?

Now, before you reply please do not take my response to mean I do not care. I just think this is being far too selective with criticism. Do you parse the speeches of your local elected officials to the same degree?