What precisely is wrong with Trump?

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
xouper

Re: What precisely is wrong with Trump?

Post by xouper » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:55 am

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:35 am
Come on guys. I will probably be going to bed in a couple of hours. If you don't get your shots in at me by then, I won't be able to read them until tomorrow. Surely you want to fuck with me sooner than that.
That kind of response is not how to solve the problem. In fact it only serves to provoke it further. You have the power and intelligence to choose a better outcome.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:02 am

Whilst this can with considerable justification be recognized as "strawman" or, more properly, argumentum ad captandum vulgus:
Nyarlathotep wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:07 am
What I still have a huge problem with is that portion of his fanbase that doesn't want him to be a president but instead wants him to be treated as a king or an emperor or worse some sort of religious figure.
since I have yet to find such a portion or any evidences--thanks--offered to justify such, this response:
WildCat wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:53 am
The mentally deranged fucktard still has nothing but pathetic strawman arguments.
reads like what I would imagine how such a portion would behave. My imagination aside, it contributes nothing to a rational discussion.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:03 am

xouper wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:55 am
Nyarlathotep wrote:
Come on guys. I will probably be going to bed in a couple of hours. If you don't get your shots in at me by then, I won't be able to read them until tomorrow. Surely you want to fuck with me sooner than that.
That kind of response is not how to solve the problem. In fact it only serves to provoke it further. You have the power and intelligence to choose a better outcome.
Just rolling with the zeitgeist here.
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

xouper

Post by xouper » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:10 am

Doctor X wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:02 am
Whilst this can with considerable justification be recognized as "strawman" or, more properly, argumentum ad captandum vulgus:
Nyarlathotep wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:07 am
What I still have a huge problem with is that portion of his fanbase that doesn't want him to be a president but instead wants him to be treated as a king or an emperor or worse some sort of religious figure.
since I have yet to find such a portion or any evidences--thanks--offered to justify such, this response:
WildCat wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:53 am
The mentally deranged fucktard still has nothing but pathetic strawman arguments.
reads like what I would imagine how such a portion would behave. My imagination aside, it contributes nothing to a rational discussion.

--J.D.
I agree, Wildcat's remark contributes nothing to a rational discussion.

But then I also imagine it was never intended as a contribution to a rational discussion.

I am also willing to imagine that if we make a sincere effort, we can all come to some sort of agreement to stop this kind of nonsense that does nothing but provoke ill will.

xouper

Post by xouper » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:12 am

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:03 am
xouper wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:55 am
Nyarlathotep wrote:
Just rolling with the zeitgeist here.
I understand.

I feel the same way sometimes.

But that way is not the way to solve the problem.

Tomorrow is another day.

Cheers.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:14 am

Some think others exist to take part in their silly games.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:18 am

https://www.facebook.com/godemperortrumpofficial/

Perhaps this is what Nyar refers to? "God Emperor Trump"?

(Personally I always saw this sort of thing as mostly trolling behavior, not a sincere wish (mostly). Then again, it's impossible to be sure with trolls, due to Poe's Law.)

There's also this sort of thing, which seems like not trolling:

https://slate.com/human-interest/2019/0 ... rview.html
At one point, reporter Joe Heim asked Falwell whether there is anything Trump could do that would endanger his support from Falwell and other evangelical leaders. He answered, simply, “No.” His explanation was a textbook piece of circular reasoning: Trump wants what’s best for the country, therefore anything he does is good for the country. There’s something almost sad about seeing this kind of idolatry articulated so clearly.
So Falwell says his support for Trump is unconditional, and there's nothing Trump could do that would make him not support Trump anymore.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:22 am

Things like that, yeah, and all the Qanon sorts who have been hoping and wishing that he would declare martial law (or as they usually spell it "marshall law").

But what the fuck do I know? I am just a "pathetic fucktard"
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:26 am

Falwell is hardly a rational or sane example.

We can start cherry picking Loons from "each side" no matter how many there are.

To my mind, much of Trump's support consisted of and perhaps consists now of:
  • 1. Not being Hillary
    2. Disagreement with the Other Alternatives to Hillary
    3. Agreement with Some of the Things he said--recall that he was fiercely critical of the Iraq invasion and was considered a "Democrat" because of it.
    4. Agreement with the Republicans "at large."
    5. Disagreement with the Democrats "at large."
    • There are Loons that will read whatever they want onto a candidate.
Ooo! You can make lists within lists!

--J.D.

xouper

Post by xouper » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:30 am

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:22 am
Things like that, yeah, and all the Qanon sorts who have been hoping and wishing that he would declare martial law (or as they usually spell it "marshall law").

But what the fuck do I know? I am just a "pathetic fucktard"
No, you are not a pathetic fucktard. Wildcat was out of line for using that label.

Anyway, qanon is not representative of the majority of Trump voters. I don't have actual numbers, but I suspect it is an insignificant percentage.

Surprise

Post by Surprise » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:14 am

ed wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:51 pm
Calling a person a "racist" is bullshit. And this is precisely why I started this thread. I have mentioned how some "friends" start off conversations with some angry denunciation of Trump. I ask for evidence and it is like I cast doubt on the Virgin Birth or something.

The media and the entertainment elites have decided that they hate Trump. That litany is what we all hear, day in, day out.

I mean, we've ALWAYS been at war with Eastasia, haven't we? Everybody says so.

The most brilliant propagandist technique will yield no success unless one fundamental principle is borne in mind constantly and with unflagging attention. It must confine itself to a few points and repeat them over and over. Here, as so often in this world, persistence is the first and most important requirement for success.
Mein Kampf (1925), by Adolf Hitler
"Some, I assume, are good people"

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:53 am

I'm in church now and can't put the sound up. Can someone summarize the video?
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

ed

Post by ed » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:29 pm

Another point. What I am suggesting does not have to be a conspiracy, that is a group of people with shared goals that are consciously working in concert. There is something called a monoculture, a phrase that gained notoriety with that firing of the Google engineer.

The people that "have the mike" so to speak are part of a monoculture whose words and ideas and turns of phrase could not be more alike if they were scripted in the Minitrue.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:53 pm

ed wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:53 am
I'm in church now and can't put the sound up. Can someone summarize the video?
:lmao:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:35 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:24 am
I will bet you he won’t. No one ever does. Proof: I never said a damned thing to him until he chose to fling shit at me.

I behave like a mirror. I treat others like they treat me. This includes Wildcat.
I treated you with nothing but respect until you went off the rails during the 2016 election. You've been a complete jackass since then, and completely detached from reality. You live in an imaginary world I can't even comprehend, populated by genocidal cartoon characters.
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:45 pm

xouper wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:10 am
I agree, Wildcat's remark contributes nothing to a rational discussion.

But then I also imagine it was never intended as a contribution to a rational discussion.
I gave up on Nyarl ever having a rational discussion long ago, that's not what he wants. Believe me, I tried to work it out with him when he went nuts. We had PM exchanges where I thought everything was worked out, only to have him publicly accuse me of supporting genocide. I don't know what mental health issues he has, but they're deep and far beyond my ability to understand.

I once went to Englewood - home of one of the highest murder rates in the country - to mail a post card to him because that postoffice was built on the site of a notorious serial killer's mansion of horror. He's done nothing but shit on me ever since. Fuck him.

But hey, if you think you can teach that pig to sing good luck.

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:49 pm

Surprise wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:14 am
"Some, I assume, are good people"
What gets lost is Trump said "their" not "they're". Mexico sends their rapists and other criminals to the USA because they'd rather have them here than there. They've been encouraging their poor and criminals to go to the USA for years, because they don't want them there.

ed

Post by ed » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:58 pm

All of my questuons still stand

gnome

Post by gnome » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:14 pm

I'm OK with people voting for him over Hillary, I get it. I'm OK even with people who are looking at the positive results, and I acknowledge there are. I really must, if I would try so hard to show some of the positives during Obama to someone that didn't like him at all.

But like Ny I do have a lot of apprehension to the kind of person that isn't willing to see the negatives even if they still support him. Not much of that here IMO, so maybe Ny and I differ on that point.

One reason I can think of for my own intense emotions about his presidency seem to come from an impression of ignorance, or at least indifference to knowledge that affects national politics, like history and geography, and the same indifference to details in resolving policy decisions. Even the presidents I have disagreed with have seemed to bring a broader base of knowledge to the table and to consider more information when making decisions. Am I mistaken about that impression?

Ignorance plus power frightens me, fear leads to anger, anger leads to .... ok shut up Yoda.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:28 pm

You must have lived in mortal terror under Obama.

--J.D.