Jazmine Barnes killing

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
User avatar
Anaxagoras
Posts: 22476
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:45 am
Location: Yokohama/Tokyo, Japan

Jazmine Barnes killing

Post by Anaxagoras » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:36 pm

This doesn't really fit in any other thread so I guess it needs its own thread.

I've seen a few headlines about over the last week or so. Looked like it was turning from a tragic local headline into a national news story because at the time it was reported that the gunman was white, while the victim was black. Here's a story about it in Vox, dated Jan. 5th:

Why the death of a 7-year-old black girl became a national story about race and violence
Jazmine Barnes was killed when a white man fired into her family’s car. Her family believes the attack was racially motivated.
By P.R. Lockhart Jan 5, 2019, 8:00am EST

It’s been nearly one week since Jazmine Barnes, a 7-year-old black girl, was killed when a white gunman fired into her mother’s car on December 30. As the hunt for the shooter continues, Barnes’s family and others have argued that the attack and her murder must be addressed as an act of racism.

On Thursday, the Harris County Sheriff’s office, which is leading the investigation into the Houston shooting, released a sketch of the gunman, who fled the scene of the crime. “We will not rest until an arrest is made. We are going to continue to search for this killer,” Sheriff Ed Gonzalez told reporters.
Story continues:
The search for the suspect is ongoing, and community members have been asked to come forward if they have any information about his identity and whereabouts. Meanwhile, Barnes’s murder has captured national attention. Shaun King, a writer and activist, and Lee Merritt, a civil rights attorney working with Barnes’s family, have offered up a $100,000 reward for information that leads to an arrest. And a GoFundMe account set up to cover the costs of Barnes’s upcoming funeral has already exceeded its goal, pulling in close to $60,000 in four days.

Barnes’s death has resonated with so many not just because of her youth, but also because of what the nature of the attack — a white man shooting through a car window at a black family — may say about the state of racism in America.

Barnes’s family has argued that the shooting was racially motivated, and local activists say that it’s possible Barnes’s death is connected to a 2017 shooting that took place just six miles away. In that incident, a black man, A’Vonta Williams, and his then-girlfriend’s grandmother, were shot after a man driving a pickup truck fired into their car. The shooter was never found and the case remains unsolved.

In regards to Barnes’s case, Merritt, the civil rights attorney, has no doubt that the family was targeted because they were black. “We want to emphasize the racial nature of the attack and that hate-crime charges are appropriate,” he told the Washington Post this week.

Though law enforcement officials in Harris County say they haven’t yet found a connection between the 2017 shooting and Barnes’s death, and have shied away from making any comments about the shooter’s possible motive, police say that they are not ruling anything out.

As the case continues to unfold, it’s clear that Barnes’s death has sparked new conversations about racism in America, and called attention to the specific ways it acts on black bodies — and black women and girls in particular.
So that's how the story was being reported a couple of days ago, or maybe yesterday. Well, now police say they've found their man.

Jazmine Barnes shooting: Texas police charge Eric Black Jr with murder (BBC)
US police have charged a man in connection with the drive-by shooting of a seven-year-old girl in Texas.
Jazmine Barnes was shot dead while in her family's car near Houston last month.
Eric Black Jr, 20, has admitted involvement in the shooting and been charged with murder, Harris County Sheriff's Office said in a statement.
Investigators believe the attack on Jazmine's family could have been the result of mistaken identity.
Jazmine's mother, LaPorsha Washington, was also shot and injured. Three other children were in the car at the time.
A composite sketch of the suspect released last week showed a white male believed to be in his 30s or 40s. Eric Black is black, but police say other suspects could be involved.
Campaigners had feared the shooting, on an African-American family, may have been racially motivated.
"Could have been the result of mistaken identity". Sounds like typical gang-warfare shit.

The "campaigners" must be so disappointed.
How did the shooting happen?
Police said Ms Washington, Jazmine and her three sisters were in the car near a Houston-area Walmart store on 30 December when a red pick-up truck pulled alongside them and a man inside opened fire.
Jazmine was struck in the head by a bullet and died at the scene.
The case caused widespread outrage and celebrities joined an appeal to find Jazmine's killer using the hashtag #JusticeForJazmine. A rally in Houston on Saturday attracted about 1,000 people.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

User avatar
Nyarlathotep
Posts: 47944
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:50 pm

Re: Jazmine Barnes killing

Post by Nyarlathotep » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:15 pm

I am really curious what kind of "mistaken identity" leads to shooting a seven-year-old. Was he meaning to shoot a DIFFERENT first-grader? Sounds like bullshit to me.
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

User avatar
corplinx
Posts: 20341
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:49 am
Title: Moderator

Re: Jazmine Barnes killing

Post by corplinx » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:52 pm

"Well, never let a good tragedy go to waste. We'll assume this was a race murder and have a rally."

Remember that the Trayvon was a dead story until they went with "white guy murdered a brother and got away with it!!!" angle with marches and rallies. It would have been a simple self defense shooting without a circus until the agitators got involved.

User avatar
Nyarlathotep
Posts: 47944
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:50 pm

Re: Jazmine Barnes killing

Post by Nyarlathotep » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:55 pm

Are we looking for reasons to justify shooting a seven-year-old? Really?
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

User avatar
Abdul Alhazred
Posts: 72293
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:33 pm
Title: Yes, that one.
Location: Chicago

Re: Jazmine Barnes killing

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:22 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:55 pm
Are we looking for reasons to justify shooting a seven-year-old? Really?
Caught in the crossfire of gang violence.

It's like the "armed robbery gone wrong" or "wrong place at the wrong time" schtick.
It doesn't really try to justify anything, but rather is an attempt to get people to shut up about it.

A rhetorical "nothing to see here folks".

But you know the media are acting on behalf of that faction of the ruling class who really want a race war.
You know, so their "side" can restore order and make things nice afterwards for everybody.

IIRC that was Manson's line, too.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

User avatar
Abdul Alhazred
Posts: 72293
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:33 pm
Title: Yes, that one.
Location: Chicago

Re: Jazmine Barnes killing

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:03 pm

How about a conspiracy theory?

Falsely reported to be a white guy to make sure the cops went to the trouble of catching the perp.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

User avatar
xouper
Posts: 9118
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:52 am
Location: HockeyTown USA

Re: Jazmine Barnes killing

Post by xouper » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:05 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:15 pm
I am really curious what kind of "mistaken identity" leads to shooting a seven-year-old. Was he meaning to shoot a DIFFERENT first-grader? Sounds like bullshit to me.
Your argument seems to assume the seven year old was his intended target. How do you know that?

User avatar
xouper
Posts: 9118
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:52 am
Location: HockeyTown USA

Re: Jazmine Barnes killing

Post by xouper » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:07 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:55 pm
Are we looking for reasons to justify shooting a seven-year-old? Really?
No.

No one is trying justify that shooting.

User avatar
Nyarlathotep
Posts: 47944
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:50 pm

Re: Jazmine Barnes killing

Post by Nyarlathotep » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:13 pm

xouper wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:05 pm
Nyarlathotep wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:15 pm
I am really curious what kind of "mistaken identity" leads to shooting a seven-year-old. Was he meaning to shoot a DIFFERENT first-grader? Sounds like bullshit to me.
Your argument seems to assume the seven year old was his intended target. How do you know that?
Playing the odds
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

User avatar
Abdul Alhazred
Posts: 72293
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:33 pm
Title: Yes, that one.
Location: Chicago

Re: Jazmine Barnes killing

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:25 pm

The way these cases go in Chicago, it's more a question of indiscriminate shooting into groups rather than targeting small children.

I expect this is what happened here.

The "mistaken identity" was someone she was standing near.

However see my previous post for a more general analysis.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

User avatar
xouper
Posts: 9118
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:52 am
Location: HockeyTown USA

Re: Jazmine Barnes killing

Post by xouper » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:29 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:13 pm
xouper wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:05 pm
Nyarlathotep wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:15 pm
I am really curious what kind of "mistaken identity" leads to shooting a seven-year-old. Was he meaning to shoot a DIFFERENT first-grader? Sounds like bullshit to me.
Your argument seems to assume the seven year old was his intended target. How do you know that?
Playing the odds
That only kicks the can down the road.

How do you know what the odds are?

How do you know what the perp's motive was?

Why ask rhetorical questions?

Why jump to judgment before the relevant facts are known?

User avatar
Nyarlathotep
Posts: 47944
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:50 pm

Re: Jazmine Barnes killing

Post by Nyarlathotep » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:38 pm

Because, and perhaps its a failure of imagination on my part but I don't care, but I find it unlikely in the extreme that anyone would fire a gun into a car without intending to kill SOMEONE in that car. If the killer intended to kill the driver, that is still no excuse. There is no excuse for murdering kids. I am not his lawyer, I am not on the jury of his trial, I am under no obligation to give him any benefit of the doubt.
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

User avatar
Abdul Alhazred
Posts: 72293
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:33 pm
Title: Yes, that one.
Location: Chicago

Re: Jazmine Barnes killing

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:41 pm

Where's ed?

This is his kind of thread.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

User avatar
Nyarlathotep
Posts: 47944
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:50 pm

Re: Jazmine Barnes killing

Post by Nyarlathotep » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:43 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:25 pm
The way these cases go in Chicago, it's more a question of indiscriminate shooting into groups rather than targeting small children.

I expect this is what happened here.

The "mistaken identity" was someone she was standing near.

However see my previous post for a more general analysis.
Even that, is really no excuse. Shooting in the general direction of a kid risks hitting a kid. AFAIC, that's just as bad as intentionally targetting them
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

User avatar
corplinx
Posts: 20341
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:49 am
Title: Moderator

Re: Jazmine Barnes killing

Post by corplinx » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:44 pm

The thread is about the assumption of racist terrorism that turned out to be completely false. Nobody is justifying the death of a 7 year old. I'm unsure how that even occurred to someone.

User avatar
Doctor X
Posts: 68275
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:09 pm
Title: Collective Messiah
Location: Your Mom

Re: Jazmine Barnes killing

Post by Doctor X » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:45 pm

We are not dealing with moral individuals.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

User avatar
Nyarlathotep
Posts: 47944
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:50 pm

Re: Jazmine Barnes killing

Post by Nyarlathotep » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:47 pm

Doctor X wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:45 pm
We are not dealing with moral individuals.

--J.D.
Kinda my point
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

User avatar
xouper
Posts: 9118
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:52 am
Location: HockeyTown USA

Re: Jazmine Barnes killing

Post by xouper » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:58 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:38 pm
There is no excuse for murdering kids.
No one is trying to excuse it.

And I don't like being falsely accused of trying to excuse it. So back off, eh? :wink:

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:38 pm
I am not his lawyer, I am not on the jury of his trial, I am under no obligation to give him any benefit of the doubt.
I agree. I was not suggesting otherwise. I was not asking you to give him any benefit at all.

I was merely asking why you assumed his motive without having all the relevant facts. Based on your lack of sufficiently sound answers, I am still puzzled why you jumped to conclusions and called bullshit.

No matter. Neither your opinion, nor mine matters even a little bit to the outcome.

User avatar
Doctor X
Posts: 68275
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:09 pm
Title: Collective Messiah
Location: Your Mom

Re: Jazmine Barnes killing

Post by Doctor X » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:21 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:47 pm
Doctor X wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:45 pm
We are not dealing with moral individuals.
Kinda my point
Yet, you only condemn the murder of seven year olds, not four year olds or even sixteen-going-on-seventeen year olds!

:freedom:

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

User avatar
Nyarlathotep
Posts: 47944
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:50 pm

Re: Jazmine Barnes killing

Post by Nyarlathotep » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:27 pm

Doctor X wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:21 pm
Nyarlathotep wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:47 pm
Doctor X wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:45 pm
We are not dealing with moral individuals.
Kinda my point
Yet, you only condemn the murder of seven year olds, not four year olds or even sixteen-going-on-seventeen year olds!

:freedom:

--J.D.
You ever had a four-year-old or a teenager living under your roof?
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!