Tit for Tat (the shutdown thread)

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Skeeve

Re: Tit for Tat (the shutdown thread)

Post by Skeeve » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:44 am

76% HAVE HARDLY NOTICED SHUTDOWN
Note, this was published on Jan. 3rd, 2019. I wonder what the polls will be next time.
Seventy-six percent (76%) of voters have hardly noticed the partial shutdown of the federal government. That total includes 42% who have felt no impact, 19% who have felt hardly any impact, and 15% who aren’t aware there’s a shutdown.

A new ScottRasmussen.com survey found that 15% have felt a minor impact and 9% claim to have felt a major impact from the shutdown.

The survey of 1,000 Registered Voters was conducted January 2 and 3, 2018.

While the 9% feeling a major impact is a relatively modest number, it represents an increase from last week when only 6% claimed to have felt a major impact from the shutdown.
As this shit show goes on, more and more folks may begin to wonder:
Do we really need all these bureaucrats?
Then Skank Of America could start in...

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:54 am

Seek and ye shall find, Update:15% NOW FEELING MAJOR IMPACT FROM SHUTDOWN

Posted on January 15, 2019 | by Scott Rasmussen
Fifteen percent (15%) of voters nationwide now say the have personally felt a major impact from the partial government shutdown. That’s up from 12% a week ago, 9% the week before, and 6% in late December.

A ScottRasmussen.com survey found that 21% of Democrats claim a major impact from the shutdown along with 13% of Independent voters and 10% of Republicans (see crosstab results)

Overall, 18% have felt a minor impact and 67% hardly any or no impact.

Fifty-one percent (51%) of voters believe the shutdown will last a few more weeks. Thirty-four percent (34%) believe it will last longer while 15% expect it to be resolved in a matter of days.
Personally, I dont see any difference. Has anyone else here at SC noticed it yet?
Fifty percent (50%) of voters believe furloughed government workers should be encouraged to seek jobs in the private sector. Twenty-four percent (24%) disagree and 26% are not sure.

Data released earlier showed that 78% favor changing the law so that employees who are required to work during the shutdown can get paid on time.

When the shutdown is over, 46% favor a plan to reduce the number of federal employees while 35% are opposed.
:o

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:28 am

SIL works for the county and some of his salary is paid for by the feds, that part is missing. Didn't realize that the federal claws were set that deep.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:43 pm

In Trump country, Republicans cheer on shutdown: The 'government is our biggest enemy'
CRAIG, Colo. – Ten words in faded red ink adorn the glass door of the federal building: "Please hold mail for duration of government shutdown. Thank you."

Here in this northern Colorado coal town, those 10 words, and the unplowed parking lot of that Bureau of Land Management facility, are among the few obvious signs that the nation's federal government is partially closed, resulting in nearly 1 million American workers not getting their taxpayer-paid paychecks.

Many of Craig's 9,000 residents are just fine with that.
"It kind of makes me question what they do on a day-to-day basis," says Paul James, 31, who runs the town's sole medical marijuana dispensary. "If I don't miss them, what were they doing?"

Sure, some folks are worried that their relatives in the military aren't getting paid right now. Others are worried about access to federal loan guarantees or getting their tax refunds on time. More than a handful believe the shutdown makes the country look foolish. But generally, Craig's residents are unfazed by the shutdown that's approaching one month and showing no signs of ending. They point out that federal employees eventually will get their salaries even though some didn't even work and that many of those nonessential workers are getting a lengthy vacation.
The word from one 'fly-over' state

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:56 pm

https://www.duffelblog.com/2019/01/troo ... cancelled/
BAGRAM AIR BASE, Afghanistan — Service members currently deployed to Afghanistan were devastated when they learned that Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi and her entourage of congressmen had cancelled their planned visit this past weekend, sources confirmed today.

President Donald Trump halted the congressional delegation’s trip seemingly in response to Pelosi suggesting the president cancel or delay his State of the Union address, citing security concerns. The bus filled with congressman was stopped at the way to Joint Base Andrews where military aircraft were prepared to carry the representatives to Afghanistan.

“It’s terrible,” Staff Sgt. Paul Morin said. “They were going to cancel the vehicle inspection so we could all go shake her hand for six seconds, but then we had to clean all the vehicles three times.”

“It’s a shame,” Sgt. 1st Class Mark Klages said. “Morale has gotten get pretty low around here with the holidays being over, the awful weather, the ANA’s incompetence and our confusing strategy, but it would have helped a lot to be talked at by an old lady from San Francisco.”

Some service members seemed confused as to who the current House speaker actually is.

“Pelosi? Of course I’m upset she didn’t come,” Sgt. Frank Lauer said. “She’s the hot Puerto-Rican one right?”

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:12 pm

Latest headlines I'm seeing are that democrats are offering $5.7 billion for border security, just not for the wall. So it isn't about money.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:18 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:12 pm
Latest headlines I'm seeing are that democrats are offering $5.7 billion for border security, just not for the wall. So it isn't about money.
It's about Trump having to surrender.

Not quite symmetrical because from Trump's POV it's about blaming the Democrats for the shutdown,
which would be an actual reversal of a Democrat win already accomplished.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:31 am

From January 4th:
Trump threatened to keep the government closed for 'months or even years' in meeting with top Democrats
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/04/trump-t ... -says.html

:mrgreen:

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:38 am

Wouldn't it be just fucking precious if we elected a Dem in 2020 because he/she promised to 'reopen' the goobermint?
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

corplinx
Title: Moderator

Post by corplinx » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:46 am

There's a shutdown going on? Eh, go figure.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:51 am

Bear in mind that in addition to "non-essential" and "essential", there are also agencies already fully funded by separate legislation.

Giz

Post by Giz » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:52 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
On what grounds is a 5 billion wall more egregious than 5 billion of border patrol officers asking to see “ papers please”? It seems like conceding the material argument and just arguing over theatrics.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:03 am

Giz wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:52 am
... arguing over theatrics.
Someone gets it. :wink:

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:08 am

Giz wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:52 am
Anaxagoras wrote:
On what grounds is a 5 billion wall more egregious than 5 billion of border patrol officers asking to see “ papers please”? It seems like conceding the material argument and just arguing over theatrics.
I can't disagree with that. It's about who gets to declare victory when this is all over.

Also, as I understand it, there's already about 700 miles of wall or fence on the U.S.-Mexican border.

But this was Trump's "signature" political promise to voters. So . . . :freedom:
William Shakespeare

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:35 am

Trump and the Republicans in Congress have their base that they have to mollify. The Dems in Congress have THEIR base that they have to mollify. Nothing else matters to them. THus neither has any interest in ending the shutdown in any manner that does not involve complete capitulation from the other.
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:47 am

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:35 am
Trump and the Republicans in Congress have their base that they have to mollify. The Dems in Congress have THEIR base that they have to mollify. Nothing else matters to them. THus neither has any interest in ending the shutdown in any manner that does not involve complete capitulation from the other.
Modulo Trump and the Republicans in congress are pulling in slightly different directions.

Giz

Post by Giz » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:59 am

Assuming that the dems have more furloughed voters than the reps, I wonder if they expect that continuing the pain helps rally (rile up) their base. Maybe they don't want the shutdown to end. Until 2020.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:10 am

I don't believe either of them really want that. But, they want to find a way out without capitulating, or appearing to capitulate.

I would suggest looking for a compromise, but I'm probably pretty far on the moderate wing of the Democratic party at this point. The left wing of the party doesn't want any compromise.
William Shakespeare

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:20 am

No, they want a way out that makes the OTHER side capitulate. Compromise is not in the cards. It's not even a desired goal. They may or may not actually want people to suffer financially but at best they give zero fucks that it is happening.
Last edited by Nyarlathotep on Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:21 am

House rejects GOP measure to pay workers but not open government
The House rejected a GOP measure to pay furloughed workers but keep the government closed in a 222-195 vote.

Six Democrats voted for the GOP measure, offered as an alternative to a Democratic bill to reopen the government.
So much for democrats worrying about the poor starving federal workers...

Also, a video: Democrats to Pelosi: "Give Trump the Money"