My Fellow Americans, the State of the Union Is Stupid

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:14 pm

Not specifically about Trump, though it superlatively applies to him.
I agree with the conclusions.

Lowering the Bar (Lawyer blog)

The Constitution says only that the President “shall from time to time give to the Congress Information of the State of the Union, and recommend to their Consideration such Measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient….” U.S. Const. art. II, § 3, cl. 1. That’s it. All it says is that the President has the obligation (and the implied power) to make recommendations. George Washington interpreted this to mean he should actually walk over to Congress once a year and tell them about stuff in person, which he first did on January 8, 1790.

But when it was Thomas Jefferson’s turn, he decided to give Congress his information only in writing, explaining in this cover letter that he felt it would be inconvenient at that juncture to do so. (He also said doing this would relieve legislators “from the embarrassment of immediate answers on subjects not yet fully before them,” which I’m pretty sure is an insult, though a very polite one.

And maybe it was, but Jefferson also felt that the whole idea of having the Executive appear to address the Legislature in this manner was just a little too monarchical for what we still believed at the time was a republic. Following Jefferson’s example, annual messages were usually sent only in writing until 1913, when Woodrow Wilson decided to show up personally again.

And it has been all downhill from there.

Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Bruce
Title: Bruce of all Bruces

Re: My Fellow Americans, the State of the Union Is Stupid

Post by Bruce » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:30 pm

I learned today that the television networks didn't have to interrupt my television shows during primetime with the president's blather. :x
Such potential!

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:11 pm

The SOTU is usually just a long self backpatting exercise. AFAIC, do that shit in writing so I don’t have to read it
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

Giz

Post by Giz » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:38 pm

To get them to do the SOTU in writing requires politicians who willingly pass up photo ops/kissing babies/etc.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:09 pm

Furthermore, the last president to write his own speeches was Eisenhower.

Anything famous JFK said in a speech was Ted Sorensen. For Nixon it was William Safire. For Reagan it was Pat Buchanan.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:49 pm

Yeah, but its all so damned transparent. Has anyone, ever, walked away from listening to one of these things feeling more enlightened, knowledgeable or anything of the sort? At best it's like a high school pep rally. I hated those things.

Bruce

Post by Bruce » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:50 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:09 pm
Furthermore, the last president to write his own speeches was Eisenhower.
That's always been a huge problem for me. If you can't even write your own speeches, then what good are you? You're no better than an actor.......or the third generation spoiled son of a wealthy political family......or a washed up, failed business guy with megalomania......

Has our country really been this fucked up all the way back to Eisenhower? That was way before I was born. :(
Such potential!

Bruce

Post by Bruce » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:56 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:49 pm
Yeah, but its all so damned transparent. Has anyone, ever, walked away from listening to one of these things feeling more enlightened, knowledgeable or anything of the sort? At best it's like a high school pep rally. I hated those things.
Its really hard to get inspired by a political "leader" when you're watching them on your HD TV and you can see there eyes reading the speech that someone else wrote for them from a teleprompter. You can tell that they didn't even practice in advance because they're reading it in a monotone voice and screwing up the inflections.

High school pep rally indeed. :evil:
Such potential!

shuize

Post by shuize » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:17 am

No more televised state of the union speeches in exchange for no more taxpayer funded congressional junkets. That sounds like winning to me.

xouper

Post by xouper » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:21 am

If there's something on TV you don't want to watch, then don't fucking watch it.

Of course, I would never complain about anyone ranting and virtue signaling on an obscure message board.

:wink:

Bruce

Post by Bruce » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:24 am

Obscure?!?! :HoppingMad: :HoppingMad2:

Ok, fair enough. :D
Such potential!

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:42 am

xouper wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:21 am
If there's something on TV you don't want to watch, then don't fucking watch it.

Of course, I would never complain about anyone ranting and virtue signaling on an obscure message board.

I wish it were so simple. If I don't wanna watch Keeping up With The Kardashians, for instance, it does work that way. I have managed a perfect 100% record of never watching that show using that very technique.

The SOTU, though, is like an episode of Keeping up With The Kardashians that will be replayed on every channel, live-streamed on internet outlets and simulcast on the radio. Then the next day it will be analyzed in depth by every talking head on every news outlet, clips played of it incessantly, people will be discussing it both IRL and on the internet. With quotes.

About the only way to avoid it entirely is to mercifully slip into a coma for 48-72 hours.

xouper

Post by xouper » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:20 am

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:19 am

The point isn't the media circus it's the speech itself.

The constitution says the president shall report to congress. Congress isn't the target market for the speech, and in principle cannot be if the speech is televised. When it was George Washington, the only people who heard his speech were congress plus a few ambient layabouts.

In modern times the letter of the constitution can only be fulfilled if the president reports in writing.

xouper

Post by xouper » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:51 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:19 am
The point isn't the media circus it's the speech itself.

The constitution says the president shall report to congress. Congress isn't the target market for the speech, and in principle cannot be if the speech is televised. When it was George Washington, the only people who heard his speech were congress plus a few ambient layabouts.

In modern times the letter of the constitution can only be fulfilled if the president reports in writing.
Why would it matter if it is written instead of spoken?

Either way will get televised these days, and there's nothing in the Constitution that says the SOTU address must be limited to the topics mentioned, so what would stop a President from writing a report that was also intended for the general population?

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:45 pm

https://www.steynonline.com/9155/the-st ... -the-union
Mark Steyn wrote:
Mark Steyn wrote: ... In that sense, like Beyoncé lip-synching the National Anthem at the inauguration, the State of the Union embodies the decay of America's political institutions into a simulacrum of responsible government rather than the real thing, and a simulacrum ever more divorced from the real issues facing the country.
If all that sounds familiar, it's because I wrote it six years ago, and recycled it exactly a year later. A third-rate hack such as yours truly should be able to file his State of the Union column a month early and confidently go to the Bahamas and work on his tan. ...

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:23 pm

Update:

Trump Concedes: State of the Union is Cancelled Because Pelosi is ‘Afraid of the Truth’
Mediaite

What a silly thing for Trump to say.

As if she ever has to face the truth.

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:10 pm

Trump should have just ordered the House and Senate to convene in a joint session and gave the address. If the Dems boycotted it all the better.
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:38 pm

"Why would it matter if it is written instead of spoken? "

Missed the point my friend. There is no difference. But the fucking POTUS should do his own speech writing in this case. Constitution says POTUS, not some fucking lackey, shall from time to time, etc.

A small point I admit in todays modern miserable fucked up world of bullshit and corruption and junk food and junk thinking.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Giz

Post by Giz » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:01 pm

sparks wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:38 pm
"Why would it matter if it is written instead of spoken? "

Missed the point my friend. There is no difference. But the fucking POTUS should do his own speech writing in this case. Constitution says POTUS, not some fucking lackey, shall from time to time, etc.

A small point I admit in todays modern miserable fucked up world of bullshit and corruption and junk food and junk thinking.
Sure Sparks, like the union would have been more perfect if we hadn't had GWB just try and read the SOTU 8 times, but he'd also had to try and write it?