Sure, Maybe I Got the Facts Wrong, But I Was Right to Hate That Kid's Face. (doomed)

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
User avatar
Grammatron
Posts: 33928
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:21 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Sure, Maybe I Got the Facts Wrong, But I Was Right to Hate That Kid's Face. (doomed)

Post by Grammatron » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:16 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:39 pm
DO NOT LEARN TO CODE.

The last thing us IT professionals need is a bunch of second rate coders driving down labor costs while fucking up IT even more than "normal".

Thank you. ;)
Yes because ignorance has always solved problems.

User avatar
gnome
Posts: 22443
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:40 am
Location: New Port Richey, FL

Re: Sure, Maybe I Got the Facts Wrong, But I Was Right to Hate That Kid's Face. (doomed)

Post by gnome » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:55 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:39 pm
DO NOT LEARN TO CODE.

The last thing us IT professionals need is a bunch of second rate coders driving down labor costs while fucking up IT even more than "normal".

Thank you. ;)
Case in point:

https://www.davidhaney.io/npm-left-pad- ... o-program/
David Haney wrote:I get the impression that the NPM ecosystem participants have created a penchant for micro-packages. Rather than write any functions or code, it seems that they prefer to depend on something that someone else has written. It feels to me as if the entire job of an NPM-participating developer is writing the smallest amount of code possible to string existing library calls together in order to create something new that functions uniquely for their personal or business need.
Even if the package’s logic is correct, I can’t help but be amazed by the fact that developers are taking on dependencies for single line functions that they should be able to write with their eyes closed. In my opinion, if you cannot write a left-pad, is-positive-integer, or isArray function in 5 minutes flat (including the time you spend Googling), then you don’t actually know how to code.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

User avatar
Rob Lister
Posts: 20183
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:15 pm
Title: Incipient toppler
Location: Swimming in Lake Ed

Re: Sure, Maybe I Got the Facts Wrong, But I Was Right to Hate That Kid's Face. (doomed)

Post by Rob Lister » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:46 am

gnome wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:55 pm
Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:39 pm
DO NOT LEARN TO CODE.

The last thing us IT professionals need is a bunch of second rate coders driving down labor costs while fucking up IT even more than "normal".

Thank you. ;)
Case in point:

https://www.davidhaney.io/npm-left-pad- ... o-program/
David Haney wrote:I get the impression that the NPM ecosystem participants have created a penchant for micro-packages. Rather than write any functions or code, it seems that they prefer to depend on something that someone else has written. It feels to me as if the entire job of an NPM-participating developer is writing the smallest amount of code possible to string existing library calls together in order to create something new that functions uniquely for their personal or business need.
Even if the package’s logic is correct, I can’t help but be amazed by the fact that developers are taking on dependencies for single line functions that they should be able to write with their eyes closed. In my opinion, if you cannot write a left-pad, is-positive-integer, or isArray function in 5 minutes flat (including the time you spend Googling), then you don’t actually know how to code.
Yea this. Code is like carpentry. Small jobs can be done off the cuff. And often that shanty is just good enough to eventually get expanded into a mansion. But it is a shanty-mansion that keeps falling in on itself.

Anything of real import has to be engineered.

User avatar
Grammatron
Posts: 33928
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:21 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Sure, Maybe I Got the Facts Wrong, But I Was Right to Hate That Kid's Face. (doomed)

Post by Grammatron » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:05 am

"then you don’t actually know how to code."

Key part.

User avatar
Witness
Posts: 18254
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:50 pm

Re: Sure, Maybe I Got the Facts Wrong, But I Was Right to Hate That Kid's Face. (doomed)

Post by Witness » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:21 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:39 pm
DO NOT LEARN TO CODE.

The last thing us IT professionals need is a bunch of second rate coders driving down labor costs while fucking up IT even more than "normal".

Thank you. ;)
Reminded me of this entertaining rant: https://www.joelonsoftware.com/2005/12/ ... schools-2/

User avatar
ed
Posts: 33907
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:52 pm
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Re: Sure, Maybe I Got the Facts Wrong, But I Was Right to Hate That Kid's Face. (doomed)

Post by ed » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:20 am

Hmmmm ... the last few posts remind me of "experts" (in any field) talking about how "it ought to be done".

Very Deep State stuff there.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

User avatar
xouper
Posts: 9295
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:52 am
Location: HockeyTown USA

Re: Sure, Maybe I Got the Facts Wrong, But I Was Right to Hate That Kid's Face. (doomed)

Post by xouper » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:20 pm

Looks like the lawyers are getting serious about taking legal action against the libelers:

https://www.dailywire.com/news/43018/wa ... es-barrett

And there's a list of 54 scumbags they are (reportedly) going after.

I hope the lawyers make those bastards pay bigly. What the media and certain celebrities did to those Covington kids is despicable and demonstrates once again how they are the enemy of the people.

shuize
Posts: 617
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:32 am

Re: Sure, Maybe I Got the Facts Wrong, But I Was Right to Hate That Kid's Face. (doomed)

Post by shuize » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:40 pm

xouper wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:20 pm
Looks like the lawyers are getting serious about taking legal action against the libelers:

https://www.dailywire.com/news/43018/wa ... es-barrett

And there's a list of 54 scumbags they are (reportedly) going after.

I hope the lawyers make those bastards pay bigly. What the media and certain celebrities did to those Covington kids is despicable and demonstrates once again how they are the enemy of the people.
I saw that, too. And the thought of the people on that list receiving preservation letters and realizing what that might mean for them made me smile.

User avatar
ed
Posts: 33907
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:52 pm
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Re: Sure, Maybe I Got the Facts Wrong, But I Was Right to Hate That Kid's Face. (doomed)

Post by ed » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:20 pm

Watch and listen for the bleats of "First Amendment!!!"
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

User avatar
Giz
Posts: 1554
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:07 pm
Location: UK

Re: Sure, Maybe I Got the Facts Wrong, But I Was Right to Hate That Kid's Face. (doomed)

Post by Giz » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:08 pm

I'm pretty sure that the wealthy celebrities and massive media corporations were punching up against the privilege of those kids. This lawsuit is deffo punching down.

Pretty sure in progressive world, the first amendment is only for "punching up" speech.

User avatar
Anaxagoras
Posts: 22900
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:45 am
Location: Yokohama/Tokyo, Japan

Re: Sure, Maybe I Got the Facts Wrong, But I Was Right to Hate That Kid's Face. (doomed)

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:18 pm

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

shuize
Posts: 617
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:32 am

Re: Sure, Maybe I Got the Facts Wrong, But I Was Right to Hate That Kid's Face. (doomed)

Post by shuize » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:35 pm

ed wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:20 pm
Watch and listen for the bleats of "First Amendment!!!"
Private figures.

Reckless disregard for the truth and negligence in failing to determine the truth or falsity of their statements means no First Amendment protection.

And they know it.

User avatar
Witness
Posts: 18254
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:50 pm

Re: Sure, Maybe I Got the Facts Wrong, But I Was Right to Hate That Kid's Face. (doomed)

Post by Witness » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:29 am

↑ From xoup's list:
  • Diocese of Covington
  • Diocese of Lexington
  • Archdiocese of Louisville
  • Diocese of Baltimore
:twisted:

User avatar
ed
Posts: 33907
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:52 pm
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Re: Sure, Maybe I Got the Facts Wrong, But I Was Right to Hate That Kid's Face. (doomed)

Post by ed » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:32 am

shuize wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:35 pm
ed wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:20 pm
Watch and listen for the bleats of "First Amendment!!!"
Private figures.

Reckless disregard for the truth and negligence in failing to determine the truth or falsity of their statements means no First Amendment protection.

And they know it.
I use the word "bleats" with absolute intention. The protection or lack thereof has zero to do with said bleats.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

User avatar
Skeeve
Posts: 10748
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:35 am

Re: Sure, Maybe I Got the Facts Wrong, But I Was Right to Hate That Kid's Face. (doomed)

Post by Skeeve » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:03 pm

UPDATE: Nick Sandmann’s Lawyer Plans To Sue Nathan Phillips For Defamation
An attorney representing Nick Sandmann, the 16-year-old Covington Catholic High School student who was smeared as a bigot when he was, in fact, the victim, will be suing Nathan Phillips, the Native American activist who lied about his encounter with the teen.

Atlanta-based lawyer L. Lin Wood told LifeSiteNews on Thursday that he would be suing Phillips for his “lies and false accusations” against the Covington Catholic students — and Sandmann in particular. He also told the outlet that he would “file the first round of civil lawsuits within the next two weeks.”
:Popcorn:
Then Skank Of America could start in...

User avatar
Skeeve
Posts: 10748
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:35 am

Re: Sure, Maybe I Got the Facts Wrong, But I Was Right to Hate That Kid's Face. (doomed)

Post by Skeeve » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:47 am

Covington student’s attorney adds cyberbullying, assault threats as new cause of action
...
L. Lin Wood, a nationally-recognized attorney in the fields of libel, defamation and the First Amendment, told Fox News in a statement Tuesday that Sandmann's attorneys are looking at all avenues for a cause of action “beyond defamation and intentional infliction of emotional distress.”
...
Wood said the breadth of the false and threatening speech from the incident is “extraordinary” and "will test the boundaries of cyberbullying, cyber-harassment, cyber-assault, and the intentional infliction of emotional distress.”

“Defendants who have intentionally joined a cybermob aimed at harassing and threatening a teenager have good reason to be legally concerned,” he added.
It is just too ironic.
SJW's to be sued, over cyber bulling....
Who'd a thunk it.
Then Skank Of America could start in...

User avatar
ed
Posts: 33907
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:52 pm
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Re: Sure, Maybe I Got the Facts Wrong, But I Was Right to Hate That Kid's Face. (doomed)

Post by ed » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:15 pm

They should announce that 25cents of every dollar recovered will go to reelecting Trump.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

User avatar
Abdul Alhazred
Posts: 72894
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:33 pm
Title: Yes, that one.
Location: Chicago

Re: Sure, Maybe I Got the Facts Wrong, But I Was Right to Hate That Kid's Face. (doomed)

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:19 pm

ed wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:15 pm
They should announce that 25cents of every dollar recovered will go to reelecting Trump.
Disagree. That only supports The NarrativeTM, and Trump doesn't need the money anyway.

What's left after the lawyers should go for their education.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

User avatar
ed
Posts: 33907
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:52 pm
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Re: Sure, Maybe I Got the Facts Wrong, But I Was Right to Hate That Kid's Face. (doomed)

Post by ed » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:31 pm

Awwwwww ... how cute.... Abdul took me seriously, and on an internet forum too!

That's a nice start to my day.

Thank you.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

User avatar
Abdul Alhazred
Posts: 72894
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:33 pm
Title: Yes, that one.
Location: Chicago

Re: Sure, Maybe I Got the Facts Wrong, But I Was Right to Hate That Kid's Face. (doomed)

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:57 pm

ed wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:31 pm
Awwwwww ... how cute.... Abdul took me seriously, and on an internet forum too!

That's a nice start to my day.

Thank you.
:oops:

:poutpout:

:HoppingMad2: :HoppingMad:

:| :| :| :| :| :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

:crybaby:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale