The Northam (and Fairfax) Death Watch

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Anaxagoras

Re: The Northam (and Fairfax) Death Watch

Post by Anaxagoras » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:10 am

shuize wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:35 am
A twitter comment by someone named Sean Davis reposted on Instapundit:
Have Virginia Democrats paused to consider the implications of a statewide blackface/KKK scandal that somehow results only in the resignation of the black guy?
Well, they are really separate scandals happening simultaneously.

Also, although Northam's scandal started it all, it isn't actually a crime. Racist, reprehensible, to be sure. I guess in the South in those days, that sort of thing was common. I'm imagining it was a Halloween party. What Fairfax has been accused of, twice now, is actually a felony. Potentially. I don't know if he's going to resign, but it seems to me that in a sane world, that is a bigger scandal than appearing in blackface 35 years ago.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:40 am

The hypocrisy is precious since Kavanaugh's reaction to the accusations "made him unfit to serve as a Supreme Court Justice!!!11!"

As far as I know, he never called Ford a "bitch."

That being said, some of those who demanded Kavanaugh fall--like Sen. Hirano--have also called for Fairfax to resign. The "Black Caucus" of the Virginia legislature have also called for him to resign.

Per Anax's observation that what he did was a felony, one member of the Virginia House has given him until Monday to resign or he will introduce Articles of Impeachment against him.

https://twitter.com/HopeforVirginia?ref ... r%5Eauthor

Patrick Hope is a Democrat.

I will put on the popcorn.

--J.D.

P.S.
“Fairfax can no longer fulfill his duties,” the Democratic caucuses of both the state House and Senate said in a joint statement.

Boston Sun
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!!

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:39 am

Especially now that there is a second accuser. I don't think he can credibly claim "political smear job" because his accusers don't seem to be people who might be out to get him just because he's a Democrat. I don't think many Democrats are defending him anymore. Gillibrand, Booker and McAuliffe have called on him to resign already. Probably others too, I don't know the full list.

The other irony is that calls for Northam to resign may now get more muted. I don't think anyone will take it back, but they might not be as insistent about it any more.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:00 am

The Speaker of the Virginia House--a man named Cox . . . heh . . . heh--is reluctant to impeach Northam. No word on Fairfax. He, and the rest of the Republicans, want Northam to resign.

The "problem" is that if Northam and Fairfax goes, the governor is a guy who claims to have worn black face. If HE goes, then the position goes to a Republican.

There is no hypocrisy here, no, goodness no.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

shuize

Post by shuize » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:36 pm

Virginia Gov. Northam, apparently inspired by Atticus Finch, tries left-hand/right-hand defense.
The embattled Virginia governor says he's certain he's not one of the two men shown in a racist photo in his 1984 medical school yearbook -- because the men in the photo are holding beers in their right hands while he’s left-handed.

"See, not me. I'm left-handed ... Except for that one time I was holding beer in my right hand."

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/northa ... ght-handed

shuize

Post by shuize » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:03 am

Virginia state legislature Democratic nominee, Ibraheem Samirah, for one, doesn't seem to think the KKK is all that bad. At least not as bad as Israel.
Samirah, a Muslim-American born to Palestinian refugees, said that giving money to Israel is worse than giving money to the Ku Klux Klan and wished for the late Israeli prime minister Ariel Sharon to “burn,” in addition to other hateful screeds.
He does think it is very bad, slander even, to quote his own words back to him.
“This slander campaign is using my 5-year old Facebook posts from my impassioned college days, posts that upon reflection and with the blessing of time, I sincerely regret and apologize for.
https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/ ... tinues.php

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:36 am

shuize wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:03 am
Virginia state legislature Democratic nominee, Ibraheem Samirah, for one, doesn't seem to think the KKK is all that bad. At least not as bad as Israel.
Samirah, a Muslim-American born to Palestinian refugees, said that giving money to Israel is worse than giving money to the Ku Klux Klan and wished for the late Israeli prime minister Ariel Sharon to “burn,” in addition to other hateful screeds.
He does think it is very bad, slander even, to quote his own words back to him.
“This slander campaign is using my 5-year old Facebook posts from my impassioned college days, posts that upon reflection and with the blessing of time, I sincerely regret and apologize for.

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/ ... tinues.php
Sorry...there is NO statute of limitations for offenses muttered in the past....

But that is just the thing, WTF, is wrong with these SJW douche-bags...
So someone wears black-face... come on lighten up...it's not like he was singing "Mammy" or something like that, right AL?

Then Skank Of America could start in...

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:33 pm

Nancy Erika Smith, Ms. Watson’s lawyer, said Mr. Fairfax’s request of an FBI probe was a ruse.

“He knows as a former Prosecutor, that the FBI has no jurisdiction over this matter. Indeed, my client may contact North Carolina authorities about a possible criminal prosecution,” she said.

“For real due process, not hidden from the public, we invite Mr. Fairfax to join Ms. Watson and her witnesses in testifying at an impeachment hearing. Ms. Watson stands ready, although it will be painful, to tell the Virginia Legislature what Mr. Fairfax did to her when she was 20 years old,” said Ms. Smith.

Washington Fox
Meanwhile, the lawyers for one of them is pursuing an actual state criminal investigation. Whether or not that falls under statutes of limitation I do not know.

--J.D.

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:40 pm

Then Skank Of America could start in...

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:58 pm

It would be in North Carolina.

According to a "Find a Lawyer" commercial page, there is no statute of limitations on criminal felony sexual assault in North Carolina.

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:17 pm

Right, because they were both students at Duke University at the time. This is the second accuser, btw.
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:41 pm

What the hell is Trump gibbering about?

I see what he's doing. It's dishonest, but maybe clever politics in a Machiavellian way.

One guy appeared in a racist costume 35 years ago and thought that would make a nice photo to put in his yearbook. The other has been accused of rape or sexual assault by two women. They are not equivalent accusations. Nevertheless, the fact that these things are happening simultaneously puts Democrats in a pickle. I think they should impeach both of them.
William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:11 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:41 pm
What the hell is Trump gibbering about?

I see what he's doing. It's dishonest, but maybe clever politics in a Machiavellian way.

One guy appeared in a racist costume 35 years ago and thought that would make a nice photo to put in his yearbook. The other has been accused of rape or sexual assault by two women. They are not equivalent accusations. Nevertheless, the fact that these things are happening simultaneously puts Democrats in a pickle. I think they should impeach both of them.
I do not in fact know what African Americans in Virginia think about anything (and suspect the same is true for Trump), but there's nothing inherently implausible about the assertion.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:43 pm

This is interesting:

Virginians divided on whether Northam should resign as Virginia governor: poll
A new poll shows Virginians are sharply divided over whether Gov. Ralph Northam (D) should resign over a blackface controversy that has engulfed the commonwealth.

Almost half of Virginians polled — 47 percent — in the Washington Post – Schar School poll released late Saturday say Northam should step down, while the same percentage said he should remain in office.

Just 6 percent had no opinion.
So essentially 50/50 among those having an opinion either way.

But how does it break down?
More than half of Republicans questioned — 56 percent — said he should resign, pollsters found, a sentiment echoed by 40 percent of Democrats.

A majority of black respondents — 58 percent — say Northam should stay in office, according to the survey, compared to 37 percent say he should leave the governor’s mansion. Forty-eight percent of white Virginians polled said he should resign and 46 percent said he should not.
So blacks are actually more forgiving about this than the rest of the electorate.
William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:55 pm

Blacks aren't in a position where they feel they have to prove their hearts are pure.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:04 pm

There is no Hope, Virginia.

The delegate is backing off his vow to introduce articles of impeachment against Fairfax. The decisions are cold politics: removal of Fairfax makes Northam more untenable since, real or not, it will appear racist. Loss of Northam makes the third-in-line untenable, which then gives the governorship to the Republicans. Meanwhile, the whole process could hurt Democrats in elections this year.

Which is why Republicans are slow playing this: "let's investigate! Give Fairfax his day in court." Let them bleed during the spring and summer.

Very little virtue here.

--J.D.

corplinx
Title: Moderator

Post by corplinx » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:34 pm

Northram today: "I hope we can all move past this quickly, after all, some of my best friends are n-words."

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:30 pm

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:49 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:55 pm
Blacks aren't in a position where they feel they have to prove their hearts are pure.
A friend of mine was talking on Facebook about how he thinks we should be willing to forgive people who are trying to better themselves about things like that.

He got called a racist for that. Fun fact, he’s black.
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:27 pm

"racist" is meaningless.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!