The Northam (and Fairfax) Death Watch

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
WildCat

Re: The Northam Death Watch

Post by WildCat » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:33 pm

Pyrrho wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:14 pm
Presumably, IF the idiots in the photo are not him, they can look forward to having their careers destroyed...even if two innocent men are claimed to have been the two idiots...they too can look forward to having their careers destroyed.
It was Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders.
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:39 pm

From your Twitter link:
“I’m not sure that was me in blackface, but let me tell you about this other time I dressed in blackface.”
Yeah, he is now officially a Cunt. He actually claimed that "times were different back then."

Fuck you, Northam.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!!

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:01 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:40 pm
ed wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:04 pm
Nyarlathotep wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:50 pm
I don't know how this picture ended up in a yearbook anyway? I was in high school in 1984 myself, and not in some bastion of liberalism. A picture of a guy in blackface and a guy in a klan costume wouldn't have been in my high school yearbook. It isn't like the 1980s were caveman days. What kind of fucking school did this guy go to?
I gotta say that in the 60's in NYC it would not have flown. Abdul, agree?
Of course not.

I also can't imagine it would occur to anyone such that it would even come up.

But then we were oh so advanced (except for all those ethnic jokes). :BigGrin3:
It is part of the burden of being an elite.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:10 pm

Not really an elite thing. I went to a school in a little town full of shitkickers. Future Farmers of America was like the biggest club in my school, that and 4-H. I do not think anyone would show up for any kind of event, even a Halloween party, in Klan robes without getting sent home or ordered to change. It definitely would not end up as a pic in the yearbook. Blackface, that's a little harder to say, but I doubt that too.
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:13 pm

I just read it was his medical school yearbook and not his high school yearbook.

That shit baffles me even more that it would be in there. I would expect a higher level of maturity from people who have already been through at least four years of college.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:21 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:13 pm
I just read it was his medical school yearbook and not his high school yearbook.

That shit baffles me even more that it would be in there. I would expect a higher level of maturity from people who have already been through at least four years of college.
ed was being sarcastic about the "elite" thing. And of course the governor of Virginia did not go to school with "shitkickers".

Insofar as it might be a cultural thing, I'd say upper class Southern.

While jadrools of my northern youth had parents worried about shvuggies or moolies moving into the neighborhood, you can bet Governor Blackface's parents did not consider that peril at all, m'deah.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:01 pm

Doctor X wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:39 pm
From your Twitter link:
“I’m not sure that was me in blackface, but let me tell you about this other time I dressed in blackface.”
Yeah, he is now officially a Cunt. He actually claimed that "times were different back then."

Fuck you, Northam.

--J.D.
Yeah, no. Maybe where he lived, but I'm old enough to remember the 1980s and like Nyar says, they weren't caveman days.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

shuize

Post by shuize » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:10 pm

Ha. Ha. Ha. This is awesome.

He reminds me of some of my former clients.

"Yes, Your Honor, I know I already apologied for it, and the photos were my yearbook page, and my college nickname was 'Coonman.' But now I'd like to change my plea to 'Not guilty' ... Except for that time I painted my face to look like Michael Jackson. I can still moonwalk, you know."

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:00 pm

Ralph Northam is resigning. He just doesn’t know it yet. (Dana Milbank, WaPo)
Ralph Northam is the former governor of Virginia. He just doesn’t know it yet.

His governorship ended, as a practical matter, on Friday night, when he acknowledged he was in a just-surfaced 1984 photograph from his medical school yearbook of one man in blackface and another in a Ku Klux Klan robe and hood.

The Democratic governor attempted weakly to apologize in written and video statements Friday, and then, bizarrely, attempted Saturday to retract his admission.

But his flailing doesn’t much matter, because he has been denounced and disowned by his fellow Democrats; his only path forward as governor is as pariah and laughingstock.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:15 pm

Bitchy bitchy bitchy :BigGrin3:

Ralph Northam must be the guy in blackface, because the other guy looks EXACTLY like Robert Byrd
https://danfromsquirrelhill.wordpress.c ... northam-2/

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:17 am

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

ed

Post by ed » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:32 am

Think it's time for an oldie but goodie.

Turn the volume up!

Come on Ralph, kick up yer heals!!!!! Everybody on the dance floor!!!!

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:12 pm

FWIW, a think piece on Quillette:

https://quillette.com/2019/02/02/the-ra ... ilitation/
Virginia’s state Senate Minority Leader, Richard Saslaw (a Democrat), issued a statement noting that Northam has opppsed racism as a public official, and that his behaviour from decades ago simply had no relation to who he is now: “His whole life has been about exactly the opposite, and that’s what you need to examine, not something that occurred 30 years ago,” he said. “While it’s in very poor taste, I would think no one in the General Assembly would like their college conduct examined. I would hate to have to go back and examine my two years in the Army. Trust me. I was 18 years old and I was a handful, okay? His life since then has been anything but. It’s been a life of helping people, and many times for free.”

Perhaps just a few years ago, Northam’s apology and Saslaw’s defence would have been enough for the governor to be able to move on. We have all done things we’re not proud of in the past, and our most offensive and obnoxious moments do not encapsulate our lives. But given an American elite culture that is regressing to a secular version of old puritanical norms, whereby sinners are branded for life and there are political points to be scored for casting them into hellfire, it is not surprising that Northam was immediately deluged with calls to resign.
But when it comes to issues of racial offence, the publication’s editorial line—like that of much of the Left—holds expressions of bigotry to be a sort of permanent stain; as if those who committed them have revealed themselves to be demons in human form, incapable of reform. Northam must go.

One of the few liberal leaders who has not explicitly called on Northam to resign is the Reverend William Barber, a prominent pastor and left-wing activist in North Carolina. “Some are calling for the [governor] to resign [and] that’s their right,” he tweeted. “I don’t know what the [Governor] has done over the years in word, deed [and] policy to make amends for his past.” (He also tweeted that “the worst racism is policy & structural racism”).

That last line is important. As obnoxious, offensive and racist as it is to dress up in a Klan hood and don blackface, these are symbolic acts. When you offend someone, it is worth apologizing, as Northam did. But Northam did not promote or pursue policy decisions to harm the lives of African Americans. In fact, he has done the opposite.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

ed

Post by ed » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:21 pm

Pretty glib.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:30 pm

Northam did not promote or pursue policy decisions to harm the lives of African Americans. In fact, he has done the opposite.
Utterly irrelevant. :)

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:39 pm

Pyrrho wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:12 pm
FWIW, a think piece on Quillette:
Yeah, I do not buy any of it given his behavior now:
  • 1. He was not a kid.
    2. He is now trying to deny responsibility.
That last part is crucial. Even if it was a "dumb thing in youth" when he was not a youth, the inclusion of it in his yearbook suggests that he expected classmates to enjoy it. I also agree with others that one simply does not "forget" one has dressed as a racial stereotype or as a member of the Klan.

Then add in his hypocrisy of accusing political rivals of being racists.

He is not sorry for what he did.

He is sorry he got caught.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!!

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:34 pm

The Quillette piece uses the Northam case to arrive at this opinion:
The Left claims to believe in compassion and rehabilitation—and purports to represent the broad working class of America. The more it demands the personal destruction of individuals who committed offensive but symbolic acts, the more hollow these representations appear.
The days of casual, blithe, ignorant, self-indulgent racism without repercussions are gone, folks.

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:37 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:15 pm
Bitchy bitchy bitchy :BigGrin3:

Ralph Northam must be the guy in blackface, because the other guy looks EXACTLY like Robert Byrd
https://danfromsquirrelhill.wordpress.c ... northam-2/
It's really simple. How tall is Northam?

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:37 am

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:48 am

With that face, you'd think he was involved in a sex scandal...