The Northam (and Fairfax) Death Watch

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Re: The Northam Death Watch

Post by Rob Lister » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:23 pm

As a Virginian, I can tell you it is funnier than ed getting eyelid surgery. The 'press' is saying we're in 'turmoil' but honestly, it doesn't matter. Because of this, the governor (Northam) has no political clout but it isn't like I give a shit about anything he would like to clout about.

I doubt Northam is going to resign, and I don't care.
I doubt the Lt Gov is going to resign, and I don't care.
I doubt the AG is going to retire, and I don't care.

But if all three do resign, then the speaker of the Virginian House (a Republican) is automatically appointed.

He too is an idiot. But I don't care.

Funnier than ed getting eyelid surgery is the guy that just ran against Northam, Ed Gillespie, was defeated mostly because of Northam attack ads calling him a racist because he wanted the wall.

There's no word on whether Gillespie ever appeared in blackface.
Last edited by Rob Lister on Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:26 pm

I find RCC's concept of "casual racism" quite interesting.

Because of course growing up in NYC I have seen deliberate malevolent racism (and we all told ethnic jokes) but not this specific sort of thing.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:27 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:19 pm
So, non-virtuous virtue signaling.
:figamagee:

RCC: Act II

Post by RCC: Act II » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:40 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:26 pm

Because of course growing up in NYC I have seen deliberate malevolent racism (and we all told ethnic jokes) but not this specific sort of thing.
The idea that overt acts of hatred, disdain, and mockery are how racism is defined is inaccurate. Those acts can be racist in that they support racism, but those things are not what racism is.

Racism is about maintaining the supremacy of an in group at the expense of an out group. The in group uses its power to develop legal and social traditions that help it maintain it's dominance. Part of that is ridicule and belittlement of the out group, which can range from the perpetuation of psuedo-scientific myth (genetically inferior in some way, etc.) to stupid sick jokes that imply that the out group is worthy of suppression.

Obviously there are ways to support this goal of maintaining the in group that don't involve overt acts of hatred. A freaking lot of ways. Which is why so many people in the in group tend to be absurdly defensive when their acts in support of maintaining supremacy are questioned. It is also why those same people tend to want to define racism as engaging in discrete acts. It simplifies the issue and lowers the bar. They don't want to think in terms that what they see as minding their own business and living their lives isn't racially neutral in a system geared towards maintaining the in group.

That's depressing. Casual racism is transgression against this awareness done in such a way that it can be shrugged off as insignificant. Which is, as we are seeing, a dangerous game.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:41 pm

In the role of Diane Feinstein:
Virginia Democratic Congressman Bobby Scott was made aware of allegations of sexual assault against now-Lieutenant Governor Justin Fairfax over a year ago by the alleged victim herself, ABC News has learned.

Scott learned of the allegations directly from Dr. Vanessa Tyson, who on Wednesday released a statement detailing the alleged 2004 assault, which took place at the Democratic National Convention in Boston.

["Snip!"--Ed.]

In a statement given to ABC News on Wednesday, Scott wrote, "Allegations of sexual assault need to be taken seriously. I have known Professor Tyson for approximately a decade and she is a friend. She deserves the opportunity to have her story heard.” Which is why you ignored it at the time?

Aides to Scott confirm to ABC News that Tyson first reached out to him in an email on October 20, 2017, expressing that she was "not a fan" of then-candidate for Virginia Lieutenant Governor Justin Fairfax.

["Snip!"--Ed.]

Aides to Scott maintain that he was not made aware at that point about an alleged sexual assault in 2004 involving Fairfax.

In a text message exchange between Scott and Tyson in December 2017, she informed him that the now-lieutenant governor-elect had a "MeToo allegation," but at the time the congressman did not know that she was the accuser, according to aides.

In late December 2017 and early January 2018, aides to Scott said he learned that it was Tyson herself who was involved in a "MeToo allegation," concerning Fairfax. But he was busy organizing opposition to Kavanaugh his sock drawer. She also informed him that she had already told the Washington Post about an alleged incident involving Fairfax and that she had given the Post Scott's name as a character witness.

When pressed by ABC News, aides said they did not know what the congressman did with that information, but that he told Tyson that he agreed to speak with the Washington Post.

Scott himself was previously accused of sexual harassment by a former aide, who said he touched her inappropriately when she was working in his Washington office in 2013. He denied the claim.

Aides said Scott maintains that Tyson never brought up the allegations in the many years that they have known each other prior to the time period between December 2017 and January 2018.

ABC News
--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!!

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:15 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:

Interesting question you raise there old man.

My dad grew up in Middle Village, family was there for generations. And back then(as probably in our time) there were neighborhoods that were mico ghettos but largely without the stigma. Each beighhood had their own casually created teams for baseball and he matter of factly told me about playing the "jewboys" which was, evidentially, a self identification. It make me wonder about the malice or lack thereof in telling an "ethnic" joke. I recall such jokes but I don;t recall them being malicious.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

ed

Post by ed » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:39 pm

RCC: Act II wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:40 pm
Abdul Alhazred wrote:

The idea that overt acts of hatred, disdain, and mockery are how racism is defined is inaccurate. Those acts can be racist in that they support racism, but those things are not what racism is.

Racism is about maintaining the supremacy of an in group at the expense of an out group. The in group uses its power to develop legal and social traditions that help it maintain it's dominance. Part of that is ridicule and belittlement of the out group, which can range from the perpetuation of psuedo-scientific myth (genetically inferior in some way, etc.) to stupid sick jokes that imply that the out group is worthy of suppression.

Obviously there are ways to support this goal of maintaining the in group that don't involve overt acts of hatred. A freaking lot of ways. Which is why so many people in the in group tend to be absurdly defensive when their acts in support of maintaining supremacy are questioned. It is also why those same people tend to want to define racism as engaging in discrete acts. It simplifies the issue and lowers the bar. They don't want to think in terms that what they see as minding their own business and living their lives isn't racially neutral in a system geared towards maintaining the in group.

That's depressing. Casual racism is transgression against this awareness done in such a way that it can be shrugged off as insignificant. Which is, as we are seeing, a dangerous game.
what you say is, I think, fairly obvious. What you leave out is what GWBush referred to as "the soft racism of lowered expectations". Maybe this is a subset of what you are talking about but it's manifestation is corrosive since it plays into every odious stereotype there is. How can a beneficiary of a quota ever be taken seriously?

Incidentially, your definition of racism is cute and self serving but inaccurate.

The Oxford says
Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.
Which can, of course, be manifested as you say. The difference is that the real definition allows for all groups to be racist, which they assuredly are, the other is, as I say, self serving.

I have, over the years, hired lots of different folks. Mostly because it amused me to have injuns and pakis and Ethiopians and Moroccans and west africans and fucking frogs etc etc in one place. Sadly, I could never foment either a race war or any sort of serious religious conflict. But the interesting thing was to engage these fine people and ask about things like "so Ahmed, you benighted WOG, tell me who you guys particularly dislike in the old country?" Interesting to say the least. And, often, it was not about the liberal bugaboo of "supremacy", it was more subtle than that and certainly not as amenable to bumper sticker. What racism is and how it is manifested, outside of the liberal echo chamber, is rather interesting and probably worth a discussion. But "suprenacy" or"clinging to power" are a bullshit diversions though a politically attractive.

Incidentially, the entire concept of identity politics and intersectionality is rooted in racism and racism (in all of it's subtle manifestations) would be it's inevitable outcome. Which, come to think of it provides a nice symmetry. We began as isolated tribal/family units which is the ultimate interesctional reality. Stupid at it's core.

RCC: Act II

Post by RCC: Act II » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:21 pm

ed wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:15 pm
Abdul Alhazred wrote:

My dad grew up in Middle Village, family was there for generations. And back then(as probably in our time) there were neighborhoods that were mico ghettos but largely without the stigma. Each beighhood had their own casually created teams for baseball and he matter of factly told me about playing the "jewboys" which was, evidentially, a self identification. It make me wonder about the malice or lack thereof in telling an "ethnic" joke. I recall such jokes but I don;t recall them being malicious.
Well, obviously your life experience is essential and relevant to understanding the nature of racism in America. We need input from as many well to do people as possible. Someone has to keep them from being ignored and crushed under the heel of an unfeeling system.

ed

Post by ed » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:34 pm

RCC: Act II wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:21 pm
ed wrote:
Abdul Alhazred wrote:

Well, obviously your life experience is essential and relevant to understanding the nature of racism in America. We need input from as many well to do people as possible. Someone has to keep them from being ignored and crushed under the heel of an unfeeling system.
I will thank you to keep Obama's health care system out of this :x :x :x :x :x
Ummm ... are you profiling me by any chance?

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:22 am

ed wrote:
... but I don;t recall them being malicious.
Not the types I was referring to.

Rather the older generation who had a marked aversion to "moolies" etc.

Maybe Queens was nicer? :P

shuize

Post by shuize » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:54 am

Report: West Virginia Feeling Pretty Smug Right About Now
https://politics.theonion.com/report-we ... 1832402532

shuize

Post by shuize » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:06 pm

Second woman accuses Virginia's Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax of sexual assault
Ha. Ha. Ha.

Awesome.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nat ... story.html
Last edited by shuize on Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:09 pm

Beat me to it.

And unlike Ford, this one remembers what decade it happened in. She also did not "recall" it through "recovered memories."

--J.D.

P.S. Former VA Governor McAuliffe has just demanded Fairfax's Resignation. Need to update the title.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

shuize

Post by shuize » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:14 pm

Doctor X wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:09 pm
Beat me to it.

And unlike Ford, this one remembers what decade it happened in. She also did not "recall" it through "recovered memories."

--J.D.

P.S. Former VA Governor McAuliffe has just demanded Fairfax's Resignation. Need to update the title.

Ha. Ha.

I'm confused. Are we "fucking all those bitches" or "believing all those bitches" today?
Last edited by shuize on Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Doctor X

Re: The Northam (and Fairfax) Death Watch

Post by Doctor X » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:21 pm

#IBelieveHer shuize.

--J.D.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:25 pm

shuize wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:14 pm
I'm confused. Are we "fucking all those bitches" or "believing all those bitches" today?
Both.

Not mutually exclusive y'know. :)

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:32 pm

This is all coming out. Fairfax claims he has passed "two FBI background checks!"

WHY NOT THREE?!!1!!!

Anyways, dispensing with the "point and laugh" of this regarding the willingness to accept the accusations against Kavanaugh, the man does deserve "his day in court." Kavanaugh deserved his.

--J.D.

shuize

Post by shuize » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:36 pm

Give Fairfax his day in court. But I'm still laughing at how this past week has played out for him.

From "I'm gonna be the next governor, bitches" to "Fuck that bi ... I mean bitches."
Last edited by shuize on Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:37 pm

It was His Turn?

--J.D.

shuize

Post by shuize » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:35 am

A twitter comment by someone named Sean Davis reposted on Instapundit:
Have Virginia Democrats paused to consider the implications of a statewide blackface/KKK scandal that somehow results only in the resignation of the black guy?