Gavin McInnes Files Defamation Lawsuit Against Southern Poverty Law Center

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Skeeve

Gavin McInnes Files Defamation Lawsuit Against Southern Poverty Law Center

Post by Skeeve » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:15 pm

Edited to simplify the OP!
Proud Boys Founder Files Defamation Lawsuit Against SPLC
Gavin McInnes, the founder of the far-right, all-male group Proud Boys, has filed a defamation lawsuit against the Southern Poverty Law Center.

SPLC has labeled the Proud Boys a hate group and has published a series of articles with examples of racist, misogynistic and transphobic quotes.
Proud Boys Founder Sues Over Hate-Group Label
(CN) – The founder of the far-right group the Proud Boys filed a lawsuit Monday claiming the Southern Poverty Law Center’s designation of the organization as a hate group has derailed his career.

In a 61-page defamation lawsuit filed in Montgomery, Alabama, federal court, Gavin McInnes, who also co-founded Vice Media, said SPLC is now using the reputation it forged during the struggle for civil rights to smother people that are out of step with its political views.

The lawsuit brought by lead attorney G. Baron Coleman in Montgomery describes McInnes, a resident of Winchester County, New York, as a humorist, social critic and television personality that is “understood widely as satirical, meant for grownups and the ‘rebellious.’”

But SPLC’s action of labeling him as aligned with a hate group was, according to the complaint, a “deplatforming and defunding campaign” that prevented McInnes from taking online bank payments, using crowdfunding services, speaking at venues and having a robust online platform.

It also allegedly caused him to lose his job at Blaze TV.
Here is a copy of the suit.
https://www.courthousenews.com/wp-conte ... esSPLC.pdf
112. Thus, SPLC’s deplatforming strategy extends beyond mere mailing and online campaigns and the placement of hapless targets on the Hate Map. SPLC’s deplatforming program is depends on the cooperation of a cowed corporate sector, virtue-signaling social media managers, and a technocratic strangle-hold on virtually every organ of public and political influence in the United States.

113. According to a June of 2018 report by Peter Hasson, four of the world’s biggest social media platforms – Facebook, Amazon, Google and Twitter – have established working partnerships with SPLC, which is deems an “external expert” that “informs” the platforms’ “hate speech policies.”

114. Upon information and belief, the application of an SPLC Hate Designation automatically renders a charity “ineligible” for Amazon Smile donations.

115. Similarly, Twitter lists SPLC as a “safety partner” and acknowledges that SPLC advises Twitter, in a manner not disclosed by either Twitter or SPLC, to combat “hateful conduct and harassment.”

116. Google, which owns YouTube, uses SPLC to help police “hate speech” on YouTube as part of YouTube’s “Trusted Flagger” program.

117. As shown below in specific reference to how the SPLC’s attack on Mr. McInnes affected him, SPLC exerts similar influence on numerous other online platforms and payment platforms.

On information and belief, being victimized by application of an SPLC Hate Designation renders a company or individual almost certain to be banned by Twitter, Google and their related services and platforms.
Wow!
The discovery phase alone could be a major shit show for the "four of the world’s biggest social media platforms – Facebook, Amazon, Google and Twitter" The email trails alone could be...interesting.

Okay, back to the 2nd article...
As for SPLC, its president Richard Cohen issued a statement saying, “To paraphrase FDR, judge us by the enemies we’ve made. Gavin McInnes has a history of making inflammatory statements about Muslims, women, and the transgender community. The fact that he’s upset with SPLC tells us that we’re doing our job exposing hate and extremism. His case is meritless.”

Meanwhile, McInnes’ lawyers are seeking to raise $250,000 for his legal fight against SPLC. By Monday evening, a little over $10,000 had been raised.

In a message on the fundraising website, McInnes wrote that SPLC was simply fundraising to make money, which it uses to influence what can be said online.

“This power and influence has embedded the SPLC into big tech and their new ‘Change the Terms’ campaign positions them to start deciding who can say what on social media and beyond,” McInnes wrote. “It already has. I want to get into it with these guys. I want to learn exactly who is taking orders from them. I don’t like what they’re doing to this country.”
:Popcorn:
Last edited by Skeeve on Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Then Skank Of America could start in...

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Re: Proud Boys Founder Files Defamation Lawsuit Against Southern Poverty Law Center

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:19 pm

If I were the lawyer for SPLCV my defense would be that it's not defamation because nobody with any sense pays attention to the SPLC anyway. 8)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Skeeve

Re: Proud Boys Founder Files Defamation Lawsuit Against Southern Poverty Law Center

Post by Skeeve » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:45 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:19 pm
If I were the lawyer for SPLCV my defense would be that it's not defamation because nobody with any sense pays attention to the SPLC anyway. 8)
If only that were true...

Well, who knows maybe someday it will be.

So now they are endowed with around $320 Million...oh yea.
Go for it Gavin...there is blood in the water.

RCC: Act II

Post by RCC: Act II » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:53 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:19 pm
They do some decent work.

Their fundraising is stupid aggressive though. I sent a donation to them in another persons name as a gift a few years ago, and mother of Ed the amount of mail I get from them, some of it in misleading packaging. I had to threaten them to stop the phone calls. Beyond insane.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:56 pm

Welcome back! :)
I sent a donation to them in another persons name ...
I, too, would be ashamed to use my own name. :BigGrin3:

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:02 pm

It's not like they haven't been threatened by suits before...
SOUTHERN POVERTY LAW CENTER SETTLES LAWSUIT AFTER FALSELY LABELING ‘EXTREMIST’ ORGANIZATION

...and chose to settle, and apoologize, rather than fight.

So, after paying him to go away and giving him the best rim-job he ever had in his life, the SPLC hoped this would be forgotten....

Post by RCC: Act II » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:10 pm

Why on earth would they fight if they decide they were totally wrong?

Trust me, they aren't setting with these Proud Boy morons.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:19 pm

RCC: Act II wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:10 pm
I expect you're right, but I will also note that this is great publicity for the 'Proud Boys' among their target market.

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:28 pm

Even to avoid the 'discovery' phase between the SPLC and "four of the world’s biggest social media platforms – Facebook, Amazon, Google and Twitter?"

Well, we shall see...

Post by RCC: Act II » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:32 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:19 pm
I expect you're right, but I will also note that this is great publicity for the 'Proud Boys' among their target market.
Yeah, but their target market can go fuck itself. If someone finds the Proud Boys ideology alluring, they are almost certainly beyond hope and better dismissed than engaged. Let the rotten eggs sort themselves into their own basket.

Post by RCC: Act II » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:43 pm

Skeeve wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:28 pm

Even to avoid the 'discovery' phase between the SPLC and "four of the world’s biggest social media platforms – Facebook, Amazon, Google and Twitter?"

Well, we shall see...

Working with social media companies to deplatform hate groups is exactly the sort of thing the SPLC is supposed to be doing. Deplatforming these jackasses has proven effective. These are private companies that choose to follow the SPLC designation of what is a hate group. This is 100% legal and above board seeing being in a hate group is in no way a protected class under any applicable non-discrimination legislation.

The SPLC isn't the group that should fear discovery. In a defamation case whether the Proud Boys are a hate group becomes the central issue, and the SPLC is experienced as to how to get those receipts and will have far, far, far better lawyers.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:45 pm

Skeeve wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:28 pm

Well, we shall see...

What, exactly, do you think would be found in discovery? File folders marked "Secret Plans for World Domination. Muahahahaha"?
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

Post by RCC: Act II » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:46 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:56 pm
Welcome back! :)
Not really. My semi-monthly drive bys are the M.O. for now. I just drop by to see how my favorite collection of politically delusional fuckheads are getting along.

I've about 25 felony cases in the air. I have no excuse for posting here right now except to clear my head a bit I guess...
Last edited by RCC: Act II on Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:47 pm

I thought the main problem with the "Proud Boys" was a propensity to violence.

But if the SPLC is merely accusing them of "being a hate group" that is in principle completely subjective.

And furthermore, does not harm the reputation of the "Proud Boys".

So clearly no case as RCC says.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:48 pm

Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:46 pm
I just drop by to see how my favorite collection of politically delusional fuckheads ...
Moi? :wave:

Post by RCC: Act II » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:51 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:47 pm
I thought the main problem with the "Proud Boys" was a propensity to violence.

But if the SPLC is merely accusing them of "being a hate group" that is in principle completely subjective.

And furthermore, does not harm the reputation of the "Proud Boys".

So clearly no case as RCC says.
Either this complaint is a publicity stunt that will soon be dropped or a brutal self-own.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:52 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:45 pm
What, exactly, do you think would be found in discovery? File folders marked "Secret Plans for World Domination. Muahahahaha"?
Something specifically targeting the "Proud Boys" I suppose.

The more I think about it, the more I am convinced this is a "Proud Boys" publicity stunt and the outcome of the case is just a sideshow. Even if it's simply thrown out.

Because when you think about it you realize that the "mainstream" media don't even give them all that much publicity, even to say they stink.

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:01 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:52 pm
Nyarlathotep wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:45 pm
Something specifically targeting the "Proud Boys" I suppose.
Okay, dispite what one might imply because of the OP title,
the suit was filed by Gavin McInnes, not the proud boys.
GAVIN McINNES,
Plaintiff,
- vs.-
THE SOUTHERN POVERTY LAW
CENTER, INC.,
Defendant.
https://www.courthousenews.com/wp-conte ... esSPLC.pdf

So in specific I suspect it would be discovery re Gavin,
not some loose collection of 'proud boys.'

So maybe it will go to court, maybe it won't. Time will tell, we'll see.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:13 pm

Legally speaking, is there a property owning entity of some sort called "The Proud Boys" that can sue or be sued (viz "corporate personhood")?

Gavin McInnes may be it.

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:33 pm

Recall that fece book and their commie fellow travellers have some exemption becasue they "pass information thru" nd do not add or edit therefore they are "neutral. This is some sort of advantage to them. My vision is blurry and I am tired so I am not looking for the reference but I think you all know what I am talking about. It is for that reason that discovery could be a killer.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!