Bezos FTW

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
User avatar
Anaxagoras
Posts: 22866
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:45 am
Location: Yokohama/Tokyo, Japan

Re: Bezos FTW

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:41 am

Witness wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:31 am
Report: Bezos-hired sleuth suspects sexts stolen by “government entity”

One of the big unanswered questions in the story is how the National Enquirer obtained the photos. One obvious possibility is that someone hacked Bezos' phone—or possibly Sanchez's.

But in an interview on MSNBC, Washington Post reporter Manuel Roig-Franzia pointed to a different possibility. The Post is owned by Bezos, and while Roig-Franzia says he hasn't talked to Bezos directly, he has talked to Gavin De Becker, a legendary security consultant who is working for Bezos. "Gavin De Becker told us that he does not believe that Jeff Bezos' phone was hacked," Roig-Franzia said. "He thinks it's possible that a government entity might have gotten hold of his text messages."

This raises more questions than answers. The most obvious question is which government agency might have obtained the information. American law enforcement and intelligence agencies are able to obtain the contents of text messages, but they are supposed to do so only with judicial oversight. And it's hard to imagine why a court would sign off on this.

"Government entity" could also refer to a foreign government. In his Thursday post, Bezos alleged that Pecker had ties to the government of Saudi Arabia and is "sensitive" about having them revealed. The Russian government has a history of stealing private communications from antagonists of Donald Trump, including Hillary Clinton's 2016 campaign chairman John Podesta. Either government might have reasons to want to embarrass Bezos.
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/201 ... acy-texts/

Have I, for once, beaten Abdul in the conspiracy theory field? :P
So much for that theory:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertai ... bd4d348db7
WASHINGTON — Private investigators working for Jeff Bezos have concluded that the brother of the Amazon CEO’s mistress leaked the couple’s intimate text messages to the National Enquirer, a person familiar with the matter told The Associated Press on Monday.

The person wasn’t authorized to discuss the matter publicly and spoke to AP on condition of anonymity.

The findings add to the intrigue surrounding the clash between the pro-Trump tabloid and the world’s richest man. Bezos’ investigators have suggested the Enquirer’s coverage of his affair was driven by dirty politics. Trump has been highly critical of Bezos over his ownership of The Washington Post and Amazon, and the Post’s coverage of the White House.

The brother, Michael Sanchez, is a supporter of President Donald Trump and an acquaintance of Trump allies Roger Stone and Carter Page. He is also the manager of his sister, Lauren Sanchez, a former TV anchor. The investigators have not said how they believe Michael Sanchez came into possession of his sister’s intimate messages.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

User avatar
Grammatron
Posts: 33928
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:21 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Bezos FTW

Post by Grammatron » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:48 am

My favorite part about the Ars Technica article is the comment section. The insane conspiracy theories people come up with, and these are supposedly smart and educated techie types.

User avatar
Doctor X
Posts: 68734
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:09 pm
Title: Collective Messiah
Location: Your Mom

Re: Bezos FTW

Post by Doctor X » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:58 am

Harter say they have claim.

J&D
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!!

User avatar
Nyarlathotep
Posts: 48095
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:50 pm

Re: Bezos FTW

Post by Nyarlathotep » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:31 am

Grammatron wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:48 am
My favorite part about the Ars Technica article is the comment section. The insane conspiracy theories people come up with, and these are supposedly smart and educated techie types.
Smart, educated people are some of the worst for conspiracy theories at times. Because they are smart, they are able to form convincing yet still completely fallacious arguments.
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

User avatar
xouper
Posts: 9280
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:52 am
Location: HockeyTown USA

Re: Bezos FTW

Post by xouper » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:56 am

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:31 am
. . . Because they are smart, they are able to form convincing yet still completely fallacious arguments.
That's been my observation too.

That's why I have a list of trick questions I sometimes like to ask smart people, some of whom proceed to form a convincing yet still completely fallacious argument.

Add in some ego, possibly boosted by a Mensa membership card, and they will sometimes also argue that they are right because they are smart. After all, as Sheldon Cooper put it so eloquently:

Image

So why the failure to make valid arguments?

My guess is it's because critical thinking is a learned skill that not all smart people have bothered to acquire. Especially some of those Mensans who think they are already smart enough and thus have no need for such bothers.

The thing is, you don't need to have a high IQ to learn the skill of critical thinking. It's not that complicated.

User avatar
Nyarlathotep
Posts: 48095
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:50 pm

Re: Bezos FTW

Post by Nyarlathotep » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:59 am

Can't argue with that analysis.
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

Surprise
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:33 am

Re: Bezos FTW

Post by Surprise » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:51 am

xouper wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:55 am
Surprise wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:07 pm
American Democracy is not very healthy.
Some indicators are -
Voter turnout
Voter suppression
Corruption
Hyper Partisan Politics
The low quality of candidates
Public distrust of the political system
Grammatron wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:54 pm
Sure if you're talking about Latin America
Surprise wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:48 am
Being able to say you are better than Latin America is not reasurring.
WildCat wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:29 pm
Why? Are they all shithole countries down there?
Surprise wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:52 am
A lot of political instability there.
https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/whi ... erica.html
You are lying about what I stated.
WildCat wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:33 pm
Are you saying in your opinion shithole countries must be politically stable?
Surprise wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:53 pm
Making up more lies doesn't make your argument work any better.
I've been trying to follow what you are saying, Surprise, but it would be more helpful if you answered the questions instead of falsely accusing someone of making up lies.

It should go without saying that asking a question (especially one intended to elicit clarification) is not the same as lying about what you said. It should also go without saying that asking for clarification is not the same as making an argument.

Let's try again: You said, "Being able to say you are better than Latin America is not reasurring." There are too many ways that could be interpreted, and so if I am to understand what you mean by that, it would be helpful if you explained in more detail. Thanks.

Look, I'm not trying to pick a fight here. I am simply trying to understand the point you are trying to make.
I'm saying that Latin American democracies have a long history of political instability that is worse than America's.

User avatar
xouper
Posts: 9280
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:52 am
Location: HockeyTown USA

Re: Bezos FTW

Post by xouper » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:01 am

Surprise wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:07 pm
American Democracy is not very healthy.
Surprise wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:48 am
Being able to say you are better than Latin America is not reasurring.
Surprise wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:51 am
I'm saying that Latin American democracies have a long history of political instability that is worse than America's.
Thanks for clarifying. Let me summarize my understanding of your point so far:

American Democracy is not very healthy, but it is not useful reassuring to compare it to Latin American democracies because they have a long history of being worse less healthy than the US.

Please correct me if that is not a valid interpretation of what you said.

To get a better sense of what you mean by "not very healthy", what countries would it be useful to compare with that are less healthy than the US?

In other words, fill in the blanks: The American Democracy is not very healthy but still more healthy than [blank] or [blank].

Even more useful would be to cite a source that rates various countries on how healthy their democracy is, and then we might get a better understanding of what you mean by "not very healthy". Thanks.