Witness

Re: Windows 10

Post by Witness » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:46 am

μ$oft killed my boot options, had to re-enable from scratch. :x

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:16 am

Could go in the "Ship of fail" thread:
Microsoft is building a Chromium-powered web browser that will replace Edge on Windows 10

Microsoft is throwing in the towel with Edge and is building a new web browser for Windows 10, this time powered by Chromium.

Microsoft's Edge web browser has seen little success since its debut on Windows 10 in 2015. Built from the ground up with a new rendering engine known as EdgeHTML, Microsoft Edge was designed to be fast, lightweight, and secure, but it launched with a plethora of issues that resulted in users rejecting it early on. Edge has since struggled to gain traction, thanks to its continued instability and lack of mindshare, from users and web developers.

Because of this, I'm told that Microsoft is throwing in the towel with EdgeHTML and is instead building a new web browser powered by Chromium, which uses a similar rendering engine first popularized by Google's Chrome browser known as Blink. Codenamed "Anaheim," this new browser for Windows 10 will replace Edge as the default browser on the platform, according to my sources, who wish to remain anonymous. It's unknown at this time if Anaheim will use the Edge brand or a new brand, or if the user interface (UI) between Edge and Anaheim is different. One thing is for sure, however; EdgeHTML in Windows 10's default browser is dead.
https://www.windowscentral.com/microsof ... windows-10

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:29 am

So basically, badge engineered Chrome that phones home to Redmond instead of Mountain View. :roll:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Witness

Post by Witness » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:42 am

Windows 10 Will Soon “Reserve” 7 GB of Your Storage for Updates

Windows Updates need a lot of disk space, which is a problem on devices with small amounts of internal storage. Microsoft is fixing this by “reserving” some disk space for updates in the next version of Windows 10, codenamed 19H1.

Microsoft has been pushing cheap laptops with small hard drives for years now. But anyone who has ever used one has quickly run into a major issue: They usually don’t have enough storage left over to install major updates. This leaves them without important patches, security fixes, and new features. While you shouldn’t update to the latest version of Windows on the first day, you do want to eventually get there. So this is a serious problem.
[…]
Microsoft is trying to address this with a method that is bound to be controversial. Starting in the next major release (and available to Insiders now), Microsoft will reserve at least 7 gigabytes of space on your hard drive.

The space won’t go completely wasted. Windows will store temporary files here when space isn’t needed for updates. Files created by apps and processes that would have taken space anyway will now go into this reserved storage. When it’s time to update, Windows will automatically delete all the files in reserved storage and use the space for downloading update files.
[…]
Microsoft says reserved storage should start at around 7 gigabytes and go up from there.
https://www.howtogeek.com/fyi/windows-1 ... r-updates/

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:25 pm

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Witness

Post by Witness » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:43 am

↑ This is slightly misleading: you'd have to download a MHT file and then double-click on it, launching IE (default option) to open it. That's not "never using it".
Everything scraped from the Internet is potentially dangerous, as we all know already.
And if you don't use IE anyway, you'll probably have configured your favorite browser to also be the default for MHT files, no? (I presume all browsers are able to do that, but I could be wrong.)