Windows 10

The war between wetware and hardware.
User avatar
Doctor X
Posts: 71390
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:09 pm
Title: Collective Messiah
Location: Your Mom

Re: Windows 10

Post by Doctor X » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:59 am

Really?

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

User avatar
Abdul Alhazred
Posts: 78681
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:33 pm
Title: Yes, that one.
Location: Chicago

Re: Windows 10

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:15 am

So basically, the key to a proper 10 installation is hours of work to get it to act like 7 ;)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

User avatar
sparks
Posts: 15767
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:13 pm
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Re: Windows 10

Post by sparks » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:50 pm

Fuck.

You peeps are not instilling me with confidence about this....
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

User avatar
Bananas?-Yes
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:42 am

Re: Windows 10

Post by Bananas?-Yes » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:18 am

I reckon this isn't a very good 'site rookie' first post because, on the one hand, Rob Lister brought back memories of my earlier days with his images posted on page 1 (I think they were on Page 1) --- they reminded me of my Trash80s, which I still have a few of, with all sorts of those true floppies.

Anyway, that was a neat post, but then on Page 28 there is the sort of blunt statement of no support for Win7 and that isn't quite right, if this 'site rookie' can be excused for making that statement of a site veteran's post. I would state the situation as no 'Mainstream' support, as I think I remember seeing the MacroHard folks stating it.

So let me make a contribution here concerning the Win7 and a few associated other bits. Sort of stuffing a bunch of interesting information into the post and possibly useful links. Well, 'useful' for anyone who is going to try and use the Win7 until its sails can no longer be mended and the masts are fully rotted and the sloop can no longer put out to the vast Net Ocean.

<> <> <> <> <> Possible Useful Info <> <> <> <> <>

*Confession and sorry* I don't remember if this is my own wording or is quoted from the MacroHard folks, so I won't use the quote code here.

- - - On January 14, 2020, Microsoft will stop supporting Windows 7. Mainstream supported ended in 2015, but Windows 7 has carried on receiving security updates thanks to extended support. When that ends in 2020, Windows

7 will remain as it is. Businesses will be able to pay Microsoft for continued Windows 7 support.- - - On second look it might be those are MicroHrad words, but just in case I'll leave the quote code off.

Support for Windows 7 is ending
After January 14, 2020, Microsoft will no longer provide security updates or support for PCs running Windows 7.

Can Windows 7 still be activated after January 14, 2020?

Windows 7 can still be installed and activated after support has ended. However, to avoid security risks and viruses, Microsoft recommends that you consider upgrading to Windows 10.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lif ... edded%207'
Windows Embedded Compact 7 Mainstream Support End Date = 4/12/2016; Extended Support End Date = 4/13/2021
Windows Embedded POSReady 7 Mainstream Support End Date = 10/11/2016; Extended Support End Date = 10/12/2021


https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... eb 2, 2019

Create installation media for Windows - - (Content provided by Microsoft)
Applies to: Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 7

If you want to install or reinstall Windows 7, Windows 8.1, or Windows 10, you can go to the software download website, select the link that matches your version of Windows, and create your own installation media using either a USB flash drive or a DVD.
<> <> <>

I am not seeing in my notes up there a reference to the Update Catalog, but the MicroHard folks did some streamlining of that update stuff and now all the updates from ages back and the new ones are all put together in the old style Sears catalog style, except now it is online for MicroHard customers and many of the customers folks don't even remember the Sears catalog. (does Sears still have some sort of catalog?)

<> <> <>

Last thing, if I may: I am aware of staying on topic and I know this thread is supposed to be about all the wonderful stuff associated with Win10, but there were some questions about Win7, so I hope you site veterans don't throw tin foil at me to block the signal. Just thought I might be of some help. If I am not being helpful, please except my apology now.

User avatar
Witness
Posts: 23780
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:50 pm

Re: Windows 10

Post by Witness » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:00 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:15 am
So basically, the key to a proper 10 installation is hours of work to get it to act like 7 ;)
Well, you have to earn its trust. :P


German privacy commissioners ban Windows 10 and Office 365 in schools

Microsoft has once again run afoul of the GDPR rules in Germany, with the Commissioner for Data Protection and Freedom of Information in the German state Hesse, declaring that Windows 10 and Office 365 is not compliant with the GDPR for use in schools.

The issue is related to the telemetry both cloud-connected solutions send back to Microsoft in USA, which ranges from standard software diagnostics to user content from inside applications, potentially sentences from documents and email subject lines.

Previously Microsoft provided a special version of these software applications which stored the data in European data centres, but recently this permission was rescinded, and data was being sent directly to USA.

Michael Ronellenfitsch, Hesse’s data protection commissioner, said that public institutions in Germany “have a special responsibility with regard to the permissibility and traceability of the processing of personal data.”

Ronellenfitsch adds, “As soon as, in particular, the possible third-party access to the data in the cloud and the issue of telemetry data have been resolved in a comprehensible and data protection-compliant manner, Office 365 can be used as a cloud solution by schools.”

He noted Microsoft’s issues also affected other IT solution providers, saying “What is true for Microsoft is also true for the Google and Apple cloud solutions. The cloud solutions of these providers have so far not been transparent and comprehensibly set out. Therefore, it is also true that for schools, the privacy-compliant use is currently not possible.”
https://mspoweruser.com/german-privacy- ... n-schools/

User avatar
Witness
Posts: 23780
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:50 pm

Re: Windows 10

Post by Witness » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:30 am

Big update, took an hour to install.

Everything went OK, just had to re-tweak some settings.

Cool: dark background in file explorer. :)

User avatar
Captain
Posts: 317
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:47 pm
Title: Captain
Location: On the verandah in the cool breeze.

Re: Windows 10

Post by Captain » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:48 am

Bananas?-Yes wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:18 am
I reckon this isn't a very good 'site rookie' first post because, on the one hand, Rob Lister brought back memories of my earlier days with his images posted on page 1 (I think they were on Page 1) --- they reminded me of my Trash80s, which I still have a few of, with all sorts of those true floppies.

Anyway, that was a neat post, but then on Page 28 there is the sort of blunt statement of no support for Win7 and that isn't quite right, if this 'site rookie' can be excused for making that statement of a site veteran's post. I would state the situation as no 'Mainstream' support, as I think I remember seeing the MacroHard folks stating it.

So let me make a contribution here concerning the Win7 and a few associated other bits. Sort of stuffing a bunch of interesting information into the post and possibly useful links. Well, 'useful' for anyone who is going to try and use the Win7 until its sails can no longer be mended and the masts are fully rotted and the sloop can no longer put out to the vast Net Ocean.

<> <> <> <> <> Possible Useful Info <> <> <> <> <>

*Confession and sorry* I don't remember if this is my own wording or is quoted from the MacroHard folks, so I won't use the quote code here.

- - - On January 14, 2020, Microsoft will stop supporting Windows 7. Mainstream supported ended in 2015, but Windows 7 has carried on receiving security updates thanks to extended support. When that ends in 2020, Windows

7 will remain as it is. Businesses will be able to pay Microsoft for continued Windows 7 support.- - - On second look it might be those are MicroHrad words, but just in case I'll leave the quote code off.

Support for Windows 7 is ending
After January 14, 2020, Microsoft will no longer provide security updates or support for PCs running Windows 7.

Can Windows 7 still be activated after January 14, 2020?

Windows 7 can still be installed and activated after support has ended. However, to avoid security risks and viruses, Microsoft recommends that you consider upgrading to Windows 10.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lif ... edded%207'
Windows Embedded Compact 7 Mainstream Support End Date = 4/12/2016; Extended Support End Date = 4/13/2021
Windows Embedded POSReady 7 Mainstream Support End Date = 10/11/2016; Extended Support End Date = 10/12/2021


https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... eb 2, 2019

Create installation media for Windows - - (Content provided by Microsoft)
Applies to: Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 7

If you want to install or reinstall Windows 7, Windows 8.1, or Windows 10, you can go to the software download website, select the link that matches your version of Windows, and create your own installation media using either a USB flash drive or a DVD.
<> <> <>

I am not seeing in my notes up there a reference to the Update Catalog, but the MicroHard folks did some streamlining of that update stuff and now all the updates from ages back and the new ones are all put together in the old style Sears catalog style, except now it is online for MicroHard customers and many of the customers folks don't even remember the Sears catalog. (does Sears still have some sort of catalog?)

<> <> <>

Last thing, if I may: I am aware of staying on topic and I know this thread is supposed to be about all the wonderful stuff associated with Win10, but there were some questions about Win7, so I hope you site veterans don't throw tin foil at me to block the signal. Just thought I might be of some help. If I am not being helpful, please except my apology now.
You got your mind right?
You run one time, you got yourself a set of chains. You run twice you got yourself two sets. You ain't gonna need no third set, 'cause you gonna get your mind right.

User avatar
Boss Kean
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:43 pm
Title: Boss
Location: Florida Corrections

Re: Windows 10

Post by Boss Kean » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:45 am

There's dirt in my ditch.
What's your dirt doin' in my ditch?

User avatar
Witness
Posts: 23780
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:50 pm

Re: Windows 10

Post by Witness » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:01 am

Second machine updated, took ~ 10 minutes, no problem. :)

User avatar
Doctor X
Posts: 71390
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:09 pm
Title: Collective Messiah
Location: Your Mom

Re: Windows 10

Post by Doctor X » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:38 am

Image

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

User avatar
sparks
Posts: 15767
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:13 pm
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Re: Windows 10

Post by sparks » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:20 pm

Doctor X wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:38 am
Image

--J.D.
Looks like my place, except 5th wheels don't have brick siding...(and just to piss off Rob).........
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

User avatar
Witness
Posts: 23780
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:50 pm

Re: Windows 10

Post by Witness » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:26 pm

Image

:shock:

User avatar
Bananas?-Yes
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:42 am

Re: Windows 10

Post by Bananas?-Yes » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:45 pm

Captain wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:48 am
You got your mind right?
I've been kind of wondering there, Mr. Captain -- Leader of Leaders within this fine Community -- why I drew your ire with my post?

But, to be frank, I hope my mind ain't right, because then I might fit into the category of being a normal human on this planet and that is a frightening thought.

My studies for some 60 years has taught me that it is the humans throughout history that did not have their minds right that created situations that then improved the lives of the "normal" humans on the planet.

Yes, there have been some awful cases where those with minds not right have done horrible things, but so far the good side of the 'not right minds' have prevailed over those bad ones.

So what exactly is it Mr. Captain -- Leader of Leaders that you fear about us human folks that do not have our minds right?

EDIT: Apologies, but I seem to be having some trouble with the quote tags here, or whatever them bracket thingies are called. Don't mean to be appearing to place my words into a "Looks-Like-Captain-Words" looking post, is what I mean. My screen grab I always do for my log shows some weirdness along the lines of what I am apologizing for

EDIT#2: Figured it out. Again, sorry.
+ + + Bananas are group oriented. + + +

User avatar
Boss Paul
Posts: 312
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:30 am
Title: Boss
Location: Florida Corrections

Re: Windows 10

Post by Boss Paul » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:09 am

You call the Captain, "Captain!"

And you call the rest of us "Boss," you hear?!
Get the wax outta your ears!

You call the Captain "Captain!"

And you call the rest of us "Boss," you hear?!

User avatar
Bananas?-Yes
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:42 am

Re: Windows 10

Post by Bananas?-Yes » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:17 am

I've got no problems with that, at all. I was just writing in the other thread about some bosses I have around here and they are a whole bunch worse than you human types. Them feline ones are much worse!
+ + + Bananas are group oriented. + + +

User avatar
ed
Posts: 36485
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:52 pm
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Re: Windows 10

Post by ed » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:47 am

Bananas?-Yes wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:17 am
I've got no problems with that, at all. I was just writing in the other thread about some bosses I have around here and they are a whole bunch worse than you human types. Them feline ones are much worse!
The Captain and his minions are retired hall monitors from the local Middle School. Being long time Florida residents they have been exposed to whatever it is down here that makes folks sorta insane. That and being well into their 80's makes for some prickly behavior on their part. Don't worry too much, it is unlikely that they can catch you, even on on a good day. Be careful of the "Box" that they talk about. Near as I can tell it's some sort of Gay BDSM think that they have in the back. I suspect that that is what happens with a lot of new posters who simply disappear. Abdul is involved in some way but I have not figured that part out yet. If you have ever been to Florida you know that you see them scattered around. That is why most of us go armed down here. Imagine sloshing thru a swamp and having Abdul pop up, clawing at you, trying to drag you into "The Box". It doesn't bear thing about. What you do in that situation is put a couple into his knees and hightail it from whence thou hast cometh.

One other thing. Lister is OK, just DO NOT accept technical or entertainment advice from him. Never mind "why", just don't.

Visit Lake Ed if you have a chance
https://www.facebook.com/Lake-Ed-1587450808195322/
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!
My indifference is boundless :x
Image

User avatar
Witness
Posts: 23780
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:50 pm

Re: Windows 10

Post by Witness » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:09 pm

Be careful with the latest updates: borked my laptop. :|

User avatar
Witness
Posts: 23780
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:50 pm

Re: Windows 10

Post by Witness » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:26 am

Witness wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:09 pm
Be careful with the latest updates: borked my laptop. :|
Solved. It's a bug in Cortana, which makes it hog the CPU (and renders the Windows search unusable):

Image

You have to allow Cortana to use Bing for searches, a small registry hack described here: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/m ... n-cortana/.

User avatar
Abdul Alhazred
Posts: 78681
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:33 pm
Title: Yes, that one.
Location: Chicago

Re: Windows 10

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:12 am

A bug in something you got along just fine without before.

Solution is a registry hack to make it sort of act like it doesn't exist (without actually getting rid of it).

So all is peachy for now. :wink:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

User avatar
Witness
Posts: 23780
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:50 pm

Re: Windows 10

Post by Witness » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:37 pm

↑ Sounds somehow bittersweet. :wink:

While puttering around I learned that you can reinstall Windows from ISO without losing your files (nothing new), but also without losing installed software. Tried, worked (but took ages). Cool! :)