Windows 10

The war between wetware and hardware.
Witness

Re: Windows 10

Post by Witness » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:51 pm

Another improvement with the update: I was able to connect my Bluetooth mouse without the provided dongle. Which means one USB port freed. :)

ceptimus

Post by ceptimus » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:47 pm

A while back I installed Windows 10 on two Windows 7 laptops which I'd not upgraded during the 'free upgrade' period - as they were work laptops containing lots of software I'd written for customers that requires ongoing support.

So they've been running WIndows 10 as one option (also still Windows 7 and Linux as other boot options) for a few months now, but with the 'unlicensed' watermark showing, and I thought I should see about buying some activation keys.

I had a disastrous waste of time attempting to purchase some keys from one of the cheap on-line sales places (Kinguin - after much delay registering it finally refused to accept my credit card for payment).

I almost paid the full price from the Microsoft shop for some keys, but I thought, what happens if I try typing in the (Windows 7) activation keys from the stickers still on the bottom of the laptops. Bingo! Both activated Windows 10 without any complaint and one of them which had the 'Ultimate' edition of Windows 7 (whatever that was) insisted on automatically upgrading the Windows 10 from the home edition which I'd downloaded and installed to the Pro edition.

So it seems you can still install Windows 10 and activate it for free using your old WIndows 7 activation keys - and still keep the WIndows 7 activated too. Of course, I was doing this on the same laptops that the Windows 7 keys originally came with (though I had upgraded both of them with some extra RAM and SSD disks). Whether you'd be allowed to use an old Windows 7 key to activate Windows 10 on a different PC I don't know.

Also, I should add, there seemed to be hardly any drawbacks running Windows 10 in the 'unactivated' state. I still got all the updates and everything seemed to work normally. Only small drawbacks were the annoying watermark on the desktop and the 'personalization' options weren't available. I wasn't bothered about the personalization thing as I never use it and don't really know what it's for. Of course, I don't know how long Microsoft will continue to allow unactivated copies to continue to work and receive updates - that was why I decided to activate them.

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:50 pm

↑ Quick, tell sparks!

asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:02 pm

I've noticed that all browsers take significantly longer to start working after the last major update. Anyone else having problems?
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:53 pm

↑ Browsers OK. My laptop boots even a tad faster.

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:23 am

Strange. Think I'll go back to my last backup and try again.
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Witness

Post by Witness » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:05 am

Another update last night. Screwed the Wifi (Qualcomm Atheros) on my laptop which was already flaky. Installed a driver from https://www.ath-drivers.eu/ as Atheros only sells to manufacturers, to no avail. So for now it's my Netgear dongle. :|

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:32 am

I solved my browser problem. Turned out it was my Comodo firewall that didn't like the update.

I've had similar problems with WiFi adapters, Witness. The Qualcomm card in my old laptop failed to work at all with W10, although it had been fine with 7 & 8. The (expensive) Netgear A6210 I use with my PC has also needed much buggering about with since 10 was installed; again, there were no problems with 7 or 8. Piss-poor when WiFi is now pretty much essential.

Witness

Post by Witness » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:51 pm

Solved (for now at least, we'll see tomorrow when I boot…). As my W10 is an upgrade from W8 there was still a W8 driver on the machine, and I could install that – after jumping through the usual Microsoft hoops, boxes clearly meant for 800x600 screens, options in small type, &c. It also took some tinkering with the router and the connect option in Windows ("can't connect to this network"), but now it works.

And it's faster than my archaic Netgear dongle. :)

Witness

Post by Witness » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:15 am

Witness wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:51 pm
Solved
Confirm the old W8 driver works splendidly with W10: connection is already up when the desktop appears at boot and no more random disconnects. :)

Now I need some kW router to tackle the problem of too much neighbors with Wi-Fi:

:De_Bunk:

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:55 am

I've just installed a new motherboard in my main PC, as the old one was beginning to fail. W10 is now flying; 25 seconds from pressing the button to sign in screen. :)

Witness

Post by Witness » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:10 am

Oh, you sign in? :mrgreen:

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:24 pm

Can't have Mrs. C. finding all the NBLs, can I?

Witness

Post by Witness » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:36 am

Witness wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:15 am
Now I need some kW router to tackle the problem of too much neighbors with Wi-Fi
Law of unavoidable coincidences: my router went on the fritz. Got a new one from my ISP the next day. Signal quality considerably improved, neighbors quashed. :)

Yet it's the exact same model (a Chinese Compal). :?

Flacus

Post by Flacus » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:34 am

:lmao: here in Brazil most use Windows 10 pirate!

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:46 am

I'm 100% convinced now. Definitely robinson.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Flacus

Post by Flacus » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:19 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:46 am
I'm 100% convinced now. Definitely robinson.

I'm not ! I was never a member of this forum.
I'm from Brazil, I mean it! :)

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:12 pm

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:01 am

Two updates in two days. Everything went well, even my boot options stayed put. :)

For the privacy concerned, have a look at Blackbird.
How Blackbird Works

Without going into too much detail, Blackbird employs some known and less-known techniques to fully disarm Windows while leaving the smallest possible footprint.

For instance, Blackbird does not edit the HOSTS file in any way, nor does it mess with your firewall settings.
It does not run in the background, instead relying on persistent routes and resolving hostnames to IP addresses each time Blackbird is applied by the user.

After usage no new files are left behind on your computer and you can safely delete blackbird.exe. Blackbird has succedded when you forget it was ever there. Everything our software does can be restored using the software itself or manually by hand. (*Dev.notice: Please don't do this manually, it will take forever and is confusing)

There are other tools that claim to block Windows spying but they are cumbersome to use and not as powerful or are limited in scope. So we took Windows apart, piece by piece, analyzed web traffic, system calls, file changes,etc., compared different configurations, designed and built a stand-alone tool and spent hundreds of hours on beta testing so anyone can use it and it gets the job done right.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:14 am

Witness wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:01 am
Two updates in two days. Everything went well, even my boot options stayed put. :)

For the privacy concerned, have a look at Blackbird.
How Blackbird Works

Without going into too much detail, Blackbird employs some known and less-known techniques to fully disarm Windows while leaving the smallest possible footprint.

For instance, Blackbird does not edit the HOSTS file in any way, nor does it mess with your firewall settings.
It does not run in the background, instead relying on persistent routes and resolving hostnames to IP addresses each time Blackbird is applied by the user.

After usage no new files are left behind on your computer and you can safely delete blackbird.exe. Blackbird has succedded when you forget it was ever there. Everything our software does can be restored using the software itself or manually by hand. (*Dev.notice: Please don't do this manually, it will take forever and is confusing)

There are other tools that claim to block Windows spying but they are cumbersome to use and not as powerful or are limited in scope. So we took Windows apart, piece by piece, analyzed web traffic, system calls, file changes,etc., compared different configurations, designed and built a stand-alone tool and spent hundreds of hours on beta testing so anyone can use it and it gets the job done right.
That's looks very cool but it's closed source and I have trust issues. There's very little written about them; a few forums, softpedia (blah) and ghack (double blah).