Windows 10

The war between wetware and hardware.
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Re: Windows 10

Post by Pyrrho »

Witness wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:32 pm That's OK. It works in the admin account, but I didn't think of tweaking my everyday one from there, or the exe. I'll see what can be done (if anything).
Maybe this?

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-fix- ... windows-10
Witness

Post by Witness »

Nope, it's the UAC, not Defender, so there's no "Unblock" checkbox.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

I can only boot into Safe Mode...and I have to hit the power button 3 times to do that.

Logs indicate impending hard drive failure, so I will hie myself to Best Buy and get me a new one.

Mansplain me what brand I should get.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Traditional or SSD?

Perhaps this will help: https://www.backblaze.com/blog/backblaz ... s-q1-2020/
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

So what happened was that I kept getting a black screen every time I started the system, except in repair mode and Safe Mode. Restored to system restore point, ran sfc /scannow, chkdsk, Dsim...sfc did find a couple of things and fixed them, which is good...but the real problem was that I share one of my two monitors with my work laptop, which was running at the time and which was displaying on the second monitor...so when I started up my home system, it, too, was extended to that same monitor. Laptop took precedence, so all I got on my other monitor was a black screen for the home system.

:Mockering:
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

Try the freezer
Witness

Post by Witness »

DirectX creator Engstrom dies aged 55, leaving behind a game-changing legacy

DirectX creator Eric Engstrom has sadly passed away at the age of 55, following a career which helped to shape the gaming industry as we know it.

Engstrom created the DirectX gaming APIs in 1994 – alongside Alex St. John and Craig Eisler – to simplify Windows game development and make it the stellar platform it remains today.

The APIs were originally developed for Windows 95. Game developers at the time were reporting they preferred MS-DOS for its low overhead and found Windows 3.1 too difficult to develop games for—hence why DirectX was born (originally called the Manhattan Project, in relation to the WWII effort of the same name.)

Microsoft’s management almost ditched the project and wrote off Windows as a gaming platform. Fortunately, they were convinced otherwise.

Engstrom and his team presented the first DirectX APIs at the 1995 Game Developers Conference before they were released in September that year as the Windows Games SDK.

Then came Doom…

Microsoft approached id Software’s John Carmack and offered to port Doom and Doom 2 free-of-charge from MS-DOS to Windows 95. id Software would even retain all publishing rights—a difficult offer to refuse.

Doom 95 was subsequently released in 1996 as the first published DirectX game. The rest, as they say, is history.

DirectX went on to pave the way for Xbox to become yet another successful gaming platform; despite the fierce competition from Sony which Microsoft never really faced in desktop gaming from its main rival.

Few people have been more influential in the gaming and wider development space than Engstrom. DirectX continues to be developed and remains a key gaming technology today, even with newer low-level competition from the likes of Vulkan and Metal.

Engstrom died on December 1 from complications following a recent injury. Despite his death, his game-changing legacy will remain.
https://developer-tech.com/news/2020/de ... ng-legacy/
Witness

Post by Witness »

↑ A strange death:
His death came from medical complications related to an accident in the lab, after he dropped a monitor on his foot.
https://venturebeat.com/2020/12/07/frie ... x-console/

Reminds me of Lully's death:
Lully died from gangrene, having struck his foot with his long conducting staff during a performance of his Te Deum to celebrate Louis XIV's recovery from surgery.
Witness

Post by Witness »

https://old.reddit.com/r/Damnthatsinter ... ows_sound/
gnome

Post by gnome »

Here's an odd quirk annoying me.

There are two home user versions of skype: the windows store app, and skype for desktop.

For some reason Windows 10 has a hard-on for having the "app" version installed instead of the "desktop" -- to the point where if I install the "desktop" version it will run fine, but the next day it will be automatically uninstalled. The problem is that the "desktop" version has more features, and I want to use some of the features missing from the "app" version.

Numerous threads online acknowledge the issue but nobody seems to have a solution. On microsoft's support page they give lip service to concern, but each thread trails off without solution.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Tech support on those Microsoft support pages is on the level of "reformat your hard drive and reinstall Windows."
Witness

Post by Witness »

Have you tried: open Microsft Store app > three-dots menu > settings > disable app updates ? Just in case.

Another way could be to redirect via your HOSTS file. The site seems to be something like get.skype.com (?) and you'll send it to the usual 127.0.0.1. (A firewall manager will tell you where it phones home exactly during an update.)

And there is some Microsoft tool to block updates, but I'm not sure if it's global (i. e. all updates) or more granular.
gnome

Post by gnome »

That second one seems interesting as a solution.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Here is the answer

https://github.com/felixrieseberg/macintosh.js/

Mac OS8 emulator written in JavaScript.

:hyper:
Witness

Post by Witness »

↑ Cool!

Meanwhile I noticed that William Barriers has silently installed a lot of crapola apps on my machine. :x And they can't be uninstalled directly, so I'll have to run a Powershell script.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Why do you hate the Candy Crush series?
Witness

Post by Witness »

Exterminated. While doing that I got a message:

https://i.ibb.co/D8Nys5n/Reader.png
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

Edge is an enigma to me; I don't really know it's place in the world other than it coming free with Windows and windows forcing you to have it (would a browser worth its salt force you?). I'm sure it is fine as a browser I just see no reason to prefer it over Firefox or Chrome. But even if it is the worst browser in the world, it is still hands down better than anything Adobe puts out; pollutes is a better word. And not that Adobe doesn't have value in the shop world, I just don't like such a fucking thick client that won't uninstall (easily) on force of my will. Power shells be damned, I will fight that fervor with all my manly firmness.

What is your opinion of my opinion.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Can't find it but someone on social media posted about how they had been using a few of Adobe's Creative Cloud apps and when the person decided to cancel their Creative Cloud subscription, Adobe billed them for remaining unused subscription time, so my opinion of your opinion is that your opinion is a good opinion. I have to use Adobe CC at work but that's an Enterprise license. At home I use Inkscape and GIMP. Am considering buying Affinity apps but not sure.
gnome

Post by gnome »

I use adobe alternatives like Foxit reader etc for viewing (or marking up) existing PDFs.

For creating them I just use the print-to-pdf functions. The Windows one is fine.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

I spent half an hour trying to get the wired network connection to work. WiFi was working fine. No light on the network box for ethernet. Tried everything I could think of.
Spoiler:
The cable was unplugged. :Mockering:
Witness

Post by Witness »

Brace yourselves:
Microsoft CEO says the 'next generation' of Windows is coming soon

At his keynote speech for Microsoft's Build conference on Tuesday, CEO Satya Nadella talked about a major update in the works for Windows. Nadella didn't offer details, but he did refer to the update as the "next generation of Windows," not just Windows 10. That makes it sound likely that whatever Nadella is talking about will be the most significant update for the operating system since it debuted in 2015.

"Soon we will share one of the most significant updates to Windows of the past decade to unlock greater economic opportunity for developers and creators," Nadella said in his keynote. "I've been self-hosting it over the past several months and I'm incredibly excited about the next generation of Windows. Our promise to you is this: We will create more opportunity for every Windows developer today and welcome every creator who is looking for the most innovative, new, open platform to build and distribute and monetize applications. We look forward to sharing more very soon."

Build is a developer conference, so Nadella was speaking to a specific audience there. But the "next generation" of Windows will be a big deal for PC gamers as well. This update has been in the works for some time under the codename Sun Valley, and the bits of detail that have leaked out and relevant job postings point to it being a significant overhaul of the look and feel of Windows. With the six year anniversary of Windows 10 coming up in July, summer seems a likely timeframe for a reveal event.

And if I had to guess, Microsoft's going to go with a new name, dropping the "10" and simply calling its new operating system… Windows.
https://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-ceo-s ... ming-soon/

Great, new UI gimmicks to learn.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

No doubt with more "phone home" garbage embedded in the OS.
gnome

Post by gnome »

to unlock greater economic opportunity for developers and creators
Now there's a phrase that makes me thrilled as a user. I can't wait to see how this improves the OS experience for me.
xouper
Title: mere ghost of his former self

Post by xouper »

gnome wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:42 pm
Now there's a phrase that makes me thrilled as a user. I can't wait to see how this improves the OS experience for me.
:dunno: I'm not getting your point?
Witness

Post by Witness »

xouper wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:49 pm
https://i.imgur.com/LbRNqc6.png
xouper

Post by xouper »

Witness wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:34 am
https://i.imgur.com/LbRNqc6.png
Unlike you, I was being polite and asking for clarification.
gnome

Post by gnome »

Just straight up being sarcastic. It seems like the updates are for the benefit of anyone wanting to make more money from the users, when they put it that way.
xouper

Post by xouper »

gnome wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:54 am
Just straight up being sarcastic. It seems like the updates are for the benefit of anyone wanting to make more money from the users, when they put it that way.
I'm still not getting your point.

Is that bad?

Why would any user give money to developers/creators if the user were not getting something of value in return?
gnome

Post by gnome »

There are lots of ways to monetize users without adding value for them. Just ask Facebook.
xouper

Post by xouper »

gnome wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:34 pm There are lots of ways to monetize users without adding value for them. Just ask Facebook.
Agreed. Are you claiming that's what Windows 10 will be doing?
Witness

Post by Witness »

Latest update installed a news thingy/icon on my taskbar. Great! Now I have to look for a purge. :x
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Prune juice should help.

Yeah I got that taskbar garbage and what you do is right-click to open the menu and then another submenu to find the options to disable.

https://i.imgur.com/ZcerYyF.png

I don't get that crap on the Mac, though...
Witness

Post by Witness »

Yeah, figured it out. Posted just after updating and before shutting down, thought it was something Microsoft-style you'd have to remove with forceps… :mrgreen:
Witness

Post by Witness »

Microsoft will end Windows 10 support in October 2025

The next version of Windows will be revealed next week, on June 24th.

Microsoft has revealed when it will put Windows 10 out to pasture. It will stop support for the current operating system on October 14th, 2025. That means Microsoft expects the transition to the next version of Windows, which it will show off on June 24th, to take around four years.

The company quietly announced the news in a support page update, as spotted by Thurrott. Previously, the page noted when Microsoft would end support for certain versions of Windows 10. It now states Microsoft started supporting Windows 10 Home and Pro on July 29th, 2015 and reveals the operating system's "retirement date." The end-of-support timeline puts the Windows 10 lifecycle at a hair over 10 years, similar to previous iterations of the OS.

As for what we're expecting from Windows 11 (or whatever it's called), there will probably be a redesign, including a revamped Windows Store. Microsoft recently canceled Windows 10X, which was initially going to be for dual-screen devices. It said it would bring some features planned for that OS into the standard version of Windows. Perhaps that'll make it easier for manufacturers and developers to support dual-screen devices without having to work with a separate version of Windows.
https://www.engadget.com/microsoft-wind ... 43024.html

Great, I was soooooooooooooo waiting for a better Windows Store!!! :roll:
gnome

Post by gnome »

I thought I read somewhere that it was Windows 10 forever, that everything to come would just be considered an update to Windows 10.

Obviously not so, either way.
xouper

Post by xouper »

gnome wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:30 pm I thought I read somewhere that it was Windows 10 forever, that everything to come would just be considered an update to Windows 10.
That is my recollection too.

Maybe they could name the next version:

https://cdn2.scratch.mit.edu/get_image/ ... 82x210.png

And then the version after that could be Infinity++.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Windows WYIO*

*What's Yours Is Ours
Witness

Post by Witness »

W11. Already leaked:

https://i.imgur.com/sXsNLLt.png

:wink:
Witness

Post by Witness »

FWIW: State of the Windows: How many layers of UI inconsistencies are in Windows 10?