Windows 10

The war between wetware and hardware.
Witness

Re: Windows 10

Post by Witness »

↑ Agreed. But you can find it also on Major Geeks & The Windows Club, which I deem a positive sign. And the dev has a Facebook (blargh!) page you can consult: https://www.facebook.com/pg/getblackbir ... e_internal.

A German IT security site discusses it (https://forum.kuketz-blog.de/viewtopic.php?t=2091), they have nothing bad to say save that some think it shouldn't block Defender from accessing its cloud, and others think it should. (Quibble, quibble…)

For now I use ShutUp10, but I think I'll give Blackbird a shot later.
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Wanted to download a Windows 10 ISO.

On the μ$oft site you get a "download tool" for that. OK, well, whatever, first run:

"Something happened", thank you very much. :roll:

Go through the steps again:

Undoubtedly much better. Try again:

Mind you, the only option available is the checked one. Yep, kill all my files, that's what I necessarily want from the "download" tool in μ$oft's unfathomable wisdom. :x

Google to the rescue, there is a solution: you have to spoof another OS so μ$oft thinks you're not on Windows and gives you the ISO instead of the "tool". And which browser allows that? You guessed it: μ$oft's Edge (hit F12). :bang_head:
Witness

Post by Witness »

Windows taking longer and longer to autoconnect to the Wi-Fi.

Some googling gave me the cure (in case somebody runs into the same problem):
Forget the wireless SSID of your home network and reboot. Upon boot, reconnect to your SSID and make sure auto-connect is checked. Then open up the Command Prompt (make sure to open it with admin rights) and type in ipconfig /release. Then type in ipconfig /renew. Then type in ipconfig /flushdns. Repeat the ipconfig /flushdns like 10 times (just habit). Reboot the system and voila! I rebooted like 5 times just to make sure, and my problem is fixed.
https://www.tenforums.com/network-shari ... -boot.html

(That last part is a bit excessive.)

Now the Wi-Fi is again up and running when the desktop appears.

And it also cured weird intermittent glitches I had with my browser. :)
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

No such issue my end. Was this due to a recent update?
Witness

Post by Witness »

Rob Lister wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 12:00 am Was this due to a recent update?
I don't think so. Rather a matter of maintenance. I'll add it to all the stuff I do once a month (like cleaning my keyboard :mrgreen: ).
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Here I thought Windows 7 was not being supported any more, but right now ...

We'll see. :notsure:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.
Witness

Post by Witness »

↑ When I launch XP (in a VM) I'm immediately notified that updates are available. :coolspecs:
Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

What happens when you tell it (in your VM) to download and/or install the updates?
Too scared to try? :P

Looks legit. Checking something ...

Witness

Post by Witness »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 11:02 pm What happens when you tell it (in your VM) to download and/or install the updates?
Too scared to try? :P
I use the VM to virtualize software (making it portable) so I keep it pristine, but I'll try next time on a copy.

I heard there are still XP updates for the OS not running on PCs (teller machines and the like), just a registry hack to get them.
Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Full scan running. We'll see. 8)

gnome

Post by gnome »

Witness wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 11:56 pm Windows taking longer and longer to autoconnect to the Wi-Fi.

Some googling gave me the cure (in case somebody runs into the same problem):
Forget the wireless SSID of your home network and reboot. Upon boot, reconnect to your SSID and make sure auto-connect is checked. Then open up the Command Prompt (make sure to open it with admin rights) and type in ipconfig /release. Then type in ipconfig /renew. Then type in ipconfig /flushdns. Repeat the ipconfig /flushdns like 10 times (just habit). Reboot the system and voila! I rebooted like 5 times just to make sure, and my problem is fixed.
https://www.tenforums.com/network-shari ... -boot.html

(That last part is a bit excessive.)

Now the Wi-Fi is again up and running when the desktop appears.

And it also cured weird intermittent glitches I had with my browser. :)
IIRC the /flushdns is a delayed response. When I used to use that to fix network connections the advice was to give it ten minutes afterwards. That may account for why it seemed to work after running it several times. It was just that time had passed.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2
gnome

Post by gnome »

My old shotgun approach when I couldn't find a wrong setting:

ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
netsh int ip reset

Reboot.

At one point I had all those commands in a batch file, but I stopped needing it routinely when I got Windows 7.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

ipconfig /displaydns is much more funner.
Abdul Alhazred

lso

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Rob Lister wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 4:57 am ipconfig /displaydns is much more funner.
:p

Also ... :coolspecs:

Witness

Post by Witness »

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

What a great tool for setting up a new computer. I just don't wanna be first.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Be aware there is a bug in the latest W10. (Incredible! :mrgreen: )

I was ditching some obsolete backups and got these folder sizes (via "Properties"):

Code: Select all

containing folder   25 GB
    folder 1         8 GB
    folder 2       200 MB
Article, if interested: https://appuals.com/how-to-fix-folder-s ... indows-10/

They recommend TreeSize, which works nicely. (Portable version on Portableapps.com.)
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

Microsoft just sank to a new low by shoving Edge down our throats

It undermines Microsoft’s own argument that automatic updates are critical

If I told you that my entire computer screen just got taken over by a new app that I’d never installed or asked for — it just magically appeared on my desktop, my taskbar, and preempted my next website launch — you’d probably tell me to run a virus scanner and stay away from shady websites, no?

But the insanely intrusive app I’m talking about isn’t a piece of ransomware. It’s Microsoft’s new Chromium Edge browser, which the company is now force-feeding users via an automatic update to Windows.

Seriously, when I restarted my Windows 10 desktop this week, an app I’d never asked for:

-- Immediately launched itself

-- Tried to convince me to migrate away from Chrome, giving me no discernible way to click away or say no

-- Pinned itself to my desktop and taskbar

-- Ignored my previous browser preference by asking me — the next time I launched a website — whether I was sure I wanted to use Chrome instead of Microsoft’s oh-so-humble recommendation.
https://www.theverge.com/21310611/micro ... -editorial

I got that update two days ago. I don't think this is a new low for Microsoft, just the typical low. The subtitle is right, however.

Unlike the reporter, I was at least smart enough to kill the process at the task manager. It's hard to believe Microsoft was so incompetent as to not disallow that. 8)
Witness

Post by Witness »

I installed (voluntarily! :o ) the new Edge-on-chrome a long time ago and… nothing special happened.

Reminds me that the EU once forced Microsoft to distribute Windows without Internet Explorer, or something like that. :notsure: