Turing test passed again and again treated as a prank.

The war between wetware and hardware.
robinson
Title: Sardonic asshole

Re: Turing test passed again and again treated as a prank.

Post by robinson »

Why would anyone give a shit?
xouper
Title: mere ghost of his former self

Post by xouper »

I didn't know which of the AI threads to put this in, so I asked Alexa. Thus, if this is the wrong thread, it's Rohit Prasad's fault.

• The Turing Test is obsolete. It’s time to build a new barometer for AI
    By Rohit Prasad, December 28, 2020
    https://www.fastcompany.com/90590042/tu ... azon-alexa
This year marks 70 years since Alan Turing published his paper introducing the concept of the Turing Test in response to the question, “Can machines think?”

. . . Turing predicted that by the year 2000, an average human would have less than a 70% chance of distinguishing an AI from a human . . .

. . . Why haven’t we as an industry been able to achieve that goal, 20 years past that mark? I believe the goal put forth by Turing is not a useful one for AI scientists like myself to work toward.

. . . None of this is to denigrate Turing’s original vision — Turing’s “imitation game” was designed as a thought experiment, not as the ultimate test for useful AI. However, now is the time to dispel the Turing Test and get inspired by Alan Turing’s bold vision to accelerate progress in building AIs that are designed to help humans.

Rohit Prasad is vice president and head scientist of Alexa at Amazon.

A commentary on the above commentary:
  • Is the Turing Test Obsolete?
    By Joel Hruska, January 4, 2021
    https://www.extremetech.com/computing/3 ... t-obsolete
Prassad is absolutely right that the Turing Test has acknowledged limitations. It tests whether a computer behaves like a human being, not whether a computer demonstrates something we might call “intelligence.”

A commentary on the commentary of the commentary:
As always, Your Mileage May Vary™.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

xouper wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:58 am I didn't know which of the AI threads to put this in, so I asked Alexa. Thus, if this is the wrong thread, it's Rohit Prasad's fault.

• The Turing Test is obsolete. It’s time to build a new barometer for AI
    By Rohit Prasad, December 28, 2020
    https://www.fastcompany.com/90590042/tu ... azon-alexa
With AI now ubiquitously integrated into our phones, cars, and homes, it’s become increasingly obvious that people care much more that their interactions with machines be useful, seamless and transparent—and that the concept of machines being indistinguishable from a human is out of touch.
I sort of agree with that, but in certain applications I still think it would be potentially useful for a computer to be able to mimic human conversation. In fact, I believe that this has already been achieved to a limited extent. Albeit only so far in certain predefined situations. For example, a computer can mimic a human well enough to schedule an appointment at a hair salon (this was achieved two years ago) or book a hotel room, because that sort of conversation is not open-ended and includes only a finite number of basic concepts. But the voice sounds very natural, even adding waiting sounds like "umm, ..." to make it sound more like a person than a robot.

I think some people are seriously hoping to create real robot companions in the future, and to achieve that, the Turing test is a great barometer.

But of course, there are many other possible applications where mimicking a human is not necessary to the function. And nowadays it's probably more common to book an appointment via the internet rather than calling a receptionist to schedule one.
xouper

Post by xouper »

Anaxagoras wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:08 am . . . But of course, there are many other possible applications where mimicking a human is not necessary to the function.
An example that comes immediately to mind is a driverless car.

I suspect no one wants to ride in a car driven by a computer whose driving ability is indistinguishable from a human driver.

A Turing Test would not be an adequate barometer of that computer's "intelligence".

As always, Your Mileage May Vary™.
robinson

Post by robinson »

xouper wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:37 am I suspect no one wants to ride in a car driven by a computer whose driving ability is indistinguishable from a human driver.
Good lard

Nobody wants any computer that is just like a person. We want fucking computers that are better than a person.
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

Anaxagoras wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:08 am But the voice sounds very natural, even adding waiting sounds like "umm, ..." to make it sound more like a person than a robot.
That is particularly true with poorly implemented text chatting bots that insist on popping up on my screen to 'help' me. I find such "umm" additions very condescending.
xouper

Post by xouper »

robinson wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:21 am Nobody wants any computer that is just like a person. We want fucking computers that are better than a person.
Like one of these? (perhaps nsfw)

https://www.cnet.com/news/abyss-creations-ai-sex-robots-headed-to-your-bed-and-heart/
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

https://openai.com/blog/dall-e/
DALL·E: Creating
Images from Text
We’ve trained a neural network called DALL·E that creates images from text captions for a wide range of concepts expressible in natural language.
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... e-content/
Social media platforms, relying on thousands of human reviewers, are struggling to moderate the ever-increasing volume of harmful content. In 2019, it was reported that Facebook moderators are at risk of suffering from PTSD as a result of repeated exposure to such distressing content. Outsourcing this work to machine learning can help manage the rising volumes of harmful content, while limiting human exposure to it. Indeed, many tech giants have been incorporating algorithms into their content moderation for years.
robinson

Post by robinson »

It is pretty obvious on Twitter

A human pushes a button on a name, an account, and then a robot watches the account, doing stupid shit because it’s not smart enough
robinson

Post by robinson »

But that is another topic
xouper

Post by xouper »

robinson wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:44 pm . . . a robot watches the account, doing stupid shit because it’s not smart enough
And that's how you pass the Turing test, when the stupid shit done by a computer is indistinguishable from the stupid shit a human does.
robinson

Post by robinson »

Yep
robinson

Post by robinson »

The difference of course, is the AI has no sense of the absurd, while a human at some point might have a moment of clarity

Which will quickly be resolved by using doublethink