Adobe CC (the CC stands for ClusterfuCk)

The war between wetware and hardware.
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Adobe CC (the CC stands for ClusterfuCk)

Post by Pyrrho » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:53 am

Well, maybe not that bad...but today at work I updated Illustrator CC 2015 to Illustrator CC 2017 and th 2017 version is now in "Trial Mode," expiring in 7 days.

Photoshop CC 2015 to 2017, no problem.

Fortunately I unticked the option to remove previous versions, so I still have Illustrator 2015 working on the system.

Adobe has a Rube Goldberg series of steps to go through to allegedly fix the problem.

I will kick that over to IT.
YES, I am using Windows 7. "There's your problem!"
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

corplinx
Title: Moderator

Re: Adobe CC (the CC stands for ClusterfuCk)

Post by corplinx » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:36 am

In order to provide you more useless plugins, we re-allocated the funds used to pay for QA.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:41 am

corplinx wrote:In order to provide you more useless plugins, we re-allocated the funds used to pay for QA.
Plugins? They've micro-transactioned the whole product line.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:34 am

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:05 am

Dreamweaver CC 2015, I could customize the colors for the coding window via drop-down options, and there were about a dozen presets.

Dreamweaver CC 2017, two preset dark interface options, two preset light interface options, and if I want to customize the font colors I have to duplicate the application's main LESS file and manually edit the hex codes for the RGB values.

THANKS TRUMP
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:04 pm

Is there a true competitor to Adobe in any of these program?

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:59 pm

There are but like M$ people became so use to Adobe it is hard to convince them to try something different.

At least . . . there are on Image. . . .

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:24 pm

Doctor X wrote:There are but like M$ people became so use to Adobe it is hard to convince them to try something different.

--J.D.
I don't get that comment. I'd venture to say that the Adobe suite is more popular amongst the Applests than the Peeceests. Gram is right in asking the question and the answer is a resounding NO. Corel draw is the only thing that comes close and it isn't fucking close. Apple iphoto and the more recent photos is more like windows picture viewer than anything else. Neither even rises to Adobe Elements much less some of the more sophisticated adobe products. GIMP is a suitable substitute for the novice but not for the professional.

what the fuck are you on about?

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:38 am

Grammatron wrote:Is there a true competitor to Adobe in any of these program?
Nope. QuarkXPress is the only contender versus InDesign. InDesign is a superior product.

Might be some contenders for the audio and video editing, I dunno though.

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:10 am

Rob Lister wrote:
Doctor X wrote:There are but like M$ people became so use to Adobe it is hard to convince them to try something different.

--J.D.
I don't get that comment. I'd venture to say that the Adobe suite is more popular amongst the Applests than the Peeceests. Gram is right in asking the question and the answer is a resounding NO. Corel draw is the only thing that comes close and it isn't fucking close. Apple iphoto and the more recent photos is more like windows picture viewer than anything else. Neither even rises to Adobe Elements much less some of the more sophisticated adobe products. GIMP is a suitable substitute for the novice but not for the professional.

Second that. I too would be interested to learn about an existing (Apple or M$) worthy competition to Photoshop!

That being said:
– I didn't upgrade to CC because, for what I do, CS6 proved to be faster (and I'm unhappy with their lease/rent and features coming and going at Adobe's whim);
– GIMP isn't that bad, it's mostly the very non-PS interface which puts people off. I keep it around as it has two filters I need sometimes (G'MIC and Dr Land's Retinex). GIMP's cardinal weakness is restriction to 8-bit images, but there are now experimental versions working with 16-bit or even floating point, e. g. here: http://partha.com/ (haven't tried that yet).

As for video editing, DaVinci Resolve has impressive features, even the free version. (Also on my To Test list…) Presumably because they make their cash from the associated hardware, at $29,995 clearly for the movie industry.

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:41 am

Adobe Media Encoder CC 2017 fails to include audio when converting from .MOV to .MP4. Interface "has claim!" that the source .MOV contains no audio.

The same .MOV file exports just fine using Adobe Media Encoder CC 2015.

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:50 am

Rob Lister wrote:

--J.D.

Adobe kinda sorta has this "suite" by virtue of buying up the competition, e.g. Macromedia, which had some pretty good products.

Where they're falling down is in the interactive development arena. The application formerly known as Flash is still a PITA to use because of ActionScript and the bizarro way you have to program in it...and because the browsers are steadily killing off Flash, it now has exports to HTML5/Canvas etc. Which is fine I guess if you want to go that route.

Adobe Director was better but they've been letting it die a slow death for years now. Hasn't stopped them from trying to get our IT folks to pay for subscription insurance or something like that. It's not even in Adobe's beta testing program anymore.

Flash Builder is still there if you feel like using Flex to develop for mobile. I dunno. We do in-house stuff for iPad and don't bother with cross-platform "one source, multiple destinations" stuff. Native all the way. Sister agencies do it the other way with HTML/JSON/etc. but then again they outsource that work to serfs in Putintania. When clients want to test one of the monstrosities they build, the client has to install MAMP to run the damn thing.

corplinx
Title: Moderator

Post by corplinx » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:57 pm

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:36 pm

--J.D.

Witness

Post by Witness » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:14 am

corplinx wrote:http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/08/make ... oshop-easy

Making Gimp act like Photoshop
There's also Gimpshop.

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:38 pm

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:18 am

Hah! The entire Adobe CC suite installed on my work laptop has reverted to "Unlicensed" even though I am logged in to the CC cloud. IT is going to have to reinstall the whole mess.

Was just the thing I needed when I was in the middle of a rush update to a website and Dreamweaver CC quit in mid keystroke. No warning, just vanished. Same thing with the other apps.

Acrobat DC is on the system. Also have a previous version of Acrobat on the system that is NOT Creative Cloud, it's the "local" version. Even that won't run. "You have a newer version of Acrobat on this computer and you must use that." Seriously.

I've tried signing out of the CC app and signing in again. Nope.

Tried renaming the cache folder for Adobe apps. Nope.

So all I got left is PowerPoint, Paint, Word, Excel, and MS Publisher.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:12 pm

Piracy solves so many problem, even for legally owned products. Kinda sad.

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:11 am

Gram said it nicely. :mrgreen:

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:16 am

So what happened is that the Adobe account we are required to use was changed to a "free" account, thus killing the licences, and corporate IT has not told us what the new official account is.

Is it really that difficult?