OK, TV geniuses...

The war between wetware and hardware.
gnome

OK, TV geniuses...

Post by gnome » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:02 pm

I have acquired a Vizio P55-F1 in a game of chance after buying it in the store like a proper adult, and I'm enjoying the smart TV features, especially some of the cool casting tricks, like being able to log onto Youtube from Windows and push the signal to the TV. For saved files on my hard drive, Windows has that handy "Cast-to" feature that works with a connected XBox, but I'm wondering if I can eliminate the middleman--and cast directly to the TV, as it is not 4K and my stepson will eventually take it with him anyway.

Casting clearly works in the Chrome browser, when I use Youtube and Netflix and such, but that last piece of being able to grab files off my hard drive and tell it to play on the TV would really throw things over the top. Icing on the cake would be if that works for ISO files too, but I'll hold off asking for ponies.

Like I mentioned, it works fine for the XBOX but windows doesn't want to cast to my TV, even though it recognizes it as a connected device. So here's what I'm wondering--like how the Chrome browser can push content to the TV using Vizio Smartcast, is there a generic media player like VLC or MPC that will have similar Smartcast capabilities for whatever I load into it?

Am I overthinking this? I started looking at stuff like Miravision and Chromecast but that all seems to be ways of getting a wireless signal to the TV, and the TV is already getting a network signal.

In short, HELP!
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

gnome

Re: OK, TV geniuses...

Post by gnome » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:39 am

Worked out something using PLEX.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:37 pm

Not AppleTV?

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

gnome

Post by gnome » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:48 pm

Can AppleTV do anything with video files stored on my desktop's hard drive?
It seems like an excellent product, but my current TV's native apps can duplicate most of its features, if not quite as elegantly. Not inferior enough to justify additional hardware.
--Soldier, TF2

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:57 pm

Because of all the DMCA bullshit you can't really do things directly unless you are running PLEX or Universal Media Server, or another alternative.

Personally, I just use a laptop connected directly to a TV and then control it with my phone.

gnome

Post by gnome » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:15 pm

What's weird is that you seem to be able to do screen mirroring with a wireless device. The oddity is not being able to do so over Ethernet.
--Soldier, TF2

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:59 pm

gnome wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:15 pm
What's weird is that you seem to be able to do screen mirroring with a wireless device. The oddity is not being able to do so over Ethernet.
You certainly can, but it requires a lot of hoops.

gnome

Post by gnome » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:14 pm

I've solved my "use case" as it were, but I am interested just from a technical standpoint.
--Soldier, TF2

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:43 pm

gnome wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:14 pm
I've solved my "use case" as it were, but I am interested just from a technical standpoint.
This is a good primer.

https://airtame.com/screen-mirroring/

gnome

Post by gnome » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:48 pm

Hmm. Most of those either involve wireless network or HDMI cable. I'm talking about Ethernet connection.
--Soldier, TF2

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:03 pm

I linked more as a showcase of how fucked up all the standards are at the moment.

gnome

Post by gnome » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:10 pm

Heh, true
--Soldier, TF2